“Staff at the hotel really made the stay”

Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
GreenLeadersBronze level
carlsbad, ca
“Staff at the hotel really made the stay”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We booked the one bedroom suite for the weekend. We were always hesitant about staying here because we're traveling with our 10 year old daughter, and have heard about the noise levels and the 'scene' at SkyBar. It was all true, the first nite we were on the 2nd floor. The wood floors initially seemed great, until you realize why hotels don't have them - the people above us kept us awake until about 4am. The fire truck and 2 ambulances arriving at about 1am... the person ringing our door at 2 am. It was really unbearable. However the staff was so nice about finding us a room the next day. You could tell this wasn't the first time it came up.

And the staff was really great. Honestly, everything about this hotel is a recipe for the worst arrogant LA behavior, particularly around the popular pool/bar area but the staff was anything but. Every front desk, bell person, and all of the staff at the pool were really down to earth, pleasant and funny. Room service was really fast.

The room was very spacious. I'd have to say that the sofa converted into a daybed (not a pullout) and was probably the best sofa bed we've ever had for our kiddo. Everything was clean and the bathroom was well appointed. The only think I didn't like was the open closet (who wants to lay in bed and look at all of their stuff?)

The pool is very small. It's sort of the center of SkyBar which is packed all day long. It's full of young adults, and everything that goes along with it in LA. It was a pretty interesting show sitting by the stairs watching all of the girls in swimsuits with 6 inch heals carrying handbags and cocktails trying to navigate them. Many near misses and a few tumbles. Food served poolside was excellent. More smoking than anywhere I've ever been in the past 15 years I've lived in California.

Room Tip: The highest floor possible
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Daniel G, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Hi socal_999,

It seems as though you did have some positive points throughout your stay, but you mentioned a few issues that you experienced as well. Noise in the hotel is a tough issue to tackle. I know our remarkable security team does an amazing job on keeping the “excitement” that our hotel can create at a minimal level. Unfortunately in your case, we didn’t catch them all and I sincerely apologize for that. But I must give praise to you for being so patient with our staff on handling the issue at the time. You are the perfect example of the kind of guest we want back at our hotel. Thank you again for sharing you experience with me and I would love for you to contact me directly next time you decide to book with us. I want to make your next stay at Mondrian memorable for you and your family. daniel.gonzalez@mhgc.com

Cheers

Daniel Gonzalez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Birmingham
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I travelled with my daughter, age 15, for a week here. It was our base whilst exploring LA and the surrounding areas. The room, Deluxe Suite, was superb and very well equipped.
Everything was very clean and fresh.
My friend and her niece came over from Palm Desert for one night and there was no hesitation, nor cost, in the hotel providing and extra bed and making them comfortable.
The reception staff were knowledgeable and very friendly as were the car valets too.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: There was some noise at night, but hey, you are in West Hollywood! It didn't really bother us at...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hi Sally O,

Thanks for such a nice comment. If you ever see yourself traveling to our hotel in the near future. Please contact me directly and I would love to take care of all your traveling needs. Thank you again. daniel.gonzalez@mhgc.com.

Cheers

Daniel Gonzalez
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 4, 2013

The service from valet, to restaurant, to the wait staff at the pool, were all excellent!! Everyone treated us great, and provided friendly on-point service.

The valet's were great and provided fast service when I picked my car... to be fair, I'm not used to driving up, just leaving my car, and walking in so I gotta say I enjoyed it. I don't think there's a self-park option, so be prepared to pay for the service (I had it included in my room rate, but it's $33/day).

The restaurant staff at breakfast were also excellent - as was the food. We only had breakfast in the hotel, so I'm unsure if the food at lunch/dinner is as good.

The rooms are nice, the TV is in mirror which is kinda cool. We had a view of the hill to the north, which might not be as nice as the view to the south, but is definitely quieter as the pool plays music and likely makes it into the rooms.

The location is great too. Other hotels in the same range tend to be down the hill a bit on La Cienega, which means you're always in traffic and without a view. This hotel is on Sunset, so it seemed to me that it's on the edge of traffic (you won't escape traffic, so not sure if this matters).

We got an incredible deal on the hotel, and it was priced competitively. If it's in your range, go for it -- the pool and location alone make it worthwhile.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side of the hotel are quieter than the south side.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Daniel G, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Hi george_adamidis,

Thank you for the great comments about our staff and hotel. We at Mondrian always set the bar high, because we know how important service is to our guests. We really appreciate your feedback and I will make sure to personally share your review with everyone.
When you decide to come visit us again, please make sure to contact me directly as I would love the opportunity to take care of all your needs (daniel.gonzalez@mhgc.com). Thank you again for the great comments and we hope to see you very soon.

Cheers!

Daniel
Miami, Florida, United States
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We booked the studio suite and stayed here three nights. We LOVED it! FIrst off, the room was spacious with a living room area, king sized bed, and spacious bathroom, including a see through shower. It was very clean. Best of all, we had an AMAZING view of the Hollywood Hills! We also had complimentary wi-fi. We visited the Sky Bar and the view from there was very nice too. You can tell locals frequent this hotel. I am a heavy sleeper so this didn't bother me but since it is right on sunset blvd where there is plenty of nightlife, at night you faintly heard people out partying and laughing in the distance. We would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Daniel G, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Hi JennEcasais,

Thank you so much for the amazing comments about you most recent stay at Mondrian. The amenities that this hotel offers, have to be the best in West Hollywood. Please come visit us again. Cheers
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The Mondrian Hotel is great hotel in the heart of West Hollywood. The unique modern desighn of the rooms and nice restaurant with great view of hollywood and great cousine make it my favorite spot. Also the Sky Bar that opens up at night is very popular celebrity spot!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Daniel G, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Hi Yana,

Thank you for the wonderful post about your most recent stay here at Mondrian. We hope you come visit us soon and continue the fun. Thanks again! Cheers!
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I couldn't imagine a trip to LA without staying at the Mondrain! The hotel has a very unique style, I stayed in a double double facing downtown, the room was large, clean and fresh looking. The room had good views and the beds are very comfortable.
The staff were friendly and helpful, the hotel had free wifi which saved me a few ££. The pool area is lovely, the staff always make sure hotel guests can get poolside loungers and the Sky Bar food and cocktails were nice. I also used the laundry service during my stay, this was a bit expensive. The Asia De Cuba Restaurant food was amazing. I would stay at this hotel every summer if I could. The location is great for West Hollywood bars and clubs.

Room Tip: All rooms I have seen (Double Double & King Size Suite) were good quality and value for money.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank SJP1980
Hello SJP1980,

Thank you for your amazing comment about your most recent stay here at Mondrian. Everything about our hotel is fun, sleek and sexy. Please come visit us soon. Cheers
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I don't even know where to begin. The hotel is loud at night. All the mirrors in the room are orange? Does that even make sense? Bring your own mirror if you want to apply make-up. The pool and the elevators are super tiny. I got "thank you" fruit in my room when I arrived that was brown, soooo....thanks? They also charge you for EVERYTHING. Don't even touch anything - you may get charged for that. At the end of it, I checked out, got my folio, but then they charged my card more than was stated on my receipt. Trying to straighten that out was a game of cat & mouse, all of a sudden all the 'help' from the hotel disappears. (No return phone calls, nice)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Ona W
Hello Ona W,

I am extremely sadden to hear about your recent stay here at Mondrian. I would love for you to contact me at your earliest convenience, so I can solve any issue you faced and make sure future stays with us one hundred times better. Here is my contact information - daniel.gonzalez@mhgc.com. I hope you day is amazing and I will be looking forward to your response.