“DO NOT VALET”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California, United States
“DO NOT VALET”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Parking attendants are rude, unhelpful and deceiving. I informed the valet attendant at 12:45 AM that I was just dropping guests off that were checking in and would not be staying more than an hour or so. I asked if there was a charge, he said No, so then I requested that he keep my car close since I was leaving shortly. He said No problem and said he would keep my car in the valet drop-off area. When I was ready to leave I was told I had to pay somewhere between $20 and $30. I explained what transpired earlier and pointed at my car which was still in the drop-off area as discussed at drop-off and the man said I couldn't be telling the truth since I was given a valet ticket and they cannot be "comped" as well as telling me the rules are stated on their sign. I asked why I was told earlier that I wouldn't be charged and he again repeated what he just said only more angrily. I wasn't getting anywhere with him so I reluctantly agreed to pay. I didn't have cash so I gave him a credit card. He said the credit card machine wasn't working so I had to use the ATM inside (which charges a fee). At this point, a female attendant arrived and butted in to the conversation and asked why I didn't read the sign. I asked why the attendant gave me false information and she rolled her eyes. I then asked for the valet manager and was told I would be wasting my time but he arrived a minute later. He was polite and said he would correct the issue this one time but said I was given incorrect information from the start. The man and woman who argued with me stayed quiet and seemed very annoyed. The next day I was visiting my friends at the hotel again and rather than pay the valet, I parked at a garage a few blocks down Sunset (for $10), which I highly recommend.

I must say.....The rest of the hotel staff were extremely polite and the hotel is beautiful. I would never park my car here though.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Valerie D
Rich O, Hotel Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
I am very surprised by these comments. Our Valet has always been super. Super friendly, giving authentic and professional service. They are a thitd party who has operated the Valey for many years...so very odd. Glad you found the rest of our staff to be great! See you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Birmingham
Reviewed January 25, 2013

After a long journey across the pond, we arrived in this hotel about 9 pm. My first impression was" what we got ourself into?". The foyer looked to me unusual:bold, strange colours and very basic. We got into room , we were into more surprises. Everything about the room were unusual: bold colours and strange furniture etc. However, things got better in the morning. The hotel is actually very smart and clean.the restaurant and swimming pool were fantastic. The view from the overlooking Hollywood and LA was unbelievable. The staff were so friendly and helpful. The hotel is situated on the edge of the Sunset strip and just opposite the city slighting bus stop. If your looking for a trendy clean hotel in the area this this to go for. It is different from any other hotel we have stayed before. We have really enjoyed our stay in this hotel . We would stay in again.

Room Tip: Great view from the side road rooms
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Rich O, Hotel Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
We are definitely not boring..are we!! Glad you had an amazing time...hope you had a chance to visit Skybar and our new lobby bar! Amazing mojitos and specialty drinks....next time try Asia De Cuba as well...great food...great ambiance! Thank you so much.
NEWBURY, BERKSHIRE
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Mondrian Hotel is located in West Hollywood on Sunset Blvd, a great location to discover some of LA's most famous places, even if you are without a car.

Rooms at the hotel are from $400 / night so do not stay if you are on a budget ! The furnishing / ambiance of the hotel is decidely "design" orientated, for example spacious rooms with white walls, a very large mirror / TV panel in the centre (an interesting feature), a dozen lighting options (a confusing but nice feature) but no door between bathroom / toilet / bedroom (an annoying feature). Views from the balcony onto L.A/ Beverly Hills are stunning !

We sampled the "Cuban / Asian fusion" restaurant both for b/fast and dinner (nice food, stunning views over L.A) and the Skybar (disappointing ambiance / music). The latter was a let down, especially after so much hype about the place !

Service was good but not outstanding. It was certainly no match to some similar luxury hotels in London (eg. Hotel 41).

Overall, this was a very pleasant hotel with a touch of luxury but probably not as exceptional as you may expect from the price tag.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Rich O, Hotel Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thanks for visiting..now it's time to come back and check out our new Lobby Bar! A whole new scene to see and be seen! You'll love it...!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ki-lo-li
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I have previously visited the Mondrian and although I loved the hotel wasn't overly impressed with the staff. I have to say that after my most recent stay I have been totally won over. The staff were so helpful even before travelling I emailed Sarai with room requests and they were all facilitated. Check in was an easy experience and the desk staff were very friendly. The room was great, a Studio Suite with two double beds, it was spacious, clean and beautifully decorated. We were at the front of the building, facing the hills. We had some trouble with the tv but within mins the problem was solved by staff. As I stated last time the valet staff are great and so friendly, a credit to the hotel, always asking if you need directions or recommendations.
The only issue I had was that because we stayed over Halloween, Sky Bar was very busy and on two occassions drunk non residents jumped in the elevator when we had unlocked it with our room card (after 10pm). I feel a little more security late at night would be a benefit to the hotel.
I am looking forward to staying at the Mondrian again on my next trip to LA and would defintely recommend.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep after 10pm chose a room that does not look out onto the pool and Sky Bar.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Rich O, Hotel Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
It feels so good to WoW our guests!! Thank you for the wonderful comments....much appreciated as we appreciate you! Hope you had a chance to visit Skybar. If not definitely next time out. As well, check out our new Asia De Cuba Lobby Bar..brand new and beautiful!!
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We enjoyed our four night stay at the Mondrian very much. We found the staff very friendly and approachable: not the uber cool ice queens that some reviews below had mentioned: the early check in we had requested was available, the valet parking was friendly and efficient and the concierge and reception staff were always helpful. The studio suite we booked had a spacious living area and large sofa that easily accommodated our eleven year old daughter and the views from both the rooms, the pool and the Asai de Cuba restaurant are all very LA, especially at night around the pool with lots of candles and tea lights. Yes the restaurant, minibar and drinks are expensive, but who would assume in in West Hollywood that they wouldn't be, and there are plenty of local restaurants and bars for those cautious of hotel prices. We loved the peppermint shampoo and rum soap toiletries and the beds are fantastic: we had a great night's sleep every night, especially after a long flight from Sydney. Our only concerns were some pool noise from the sky bar on Saturday night: our 4th floor room faced the pool, but this would not affect higher rooms or those facing the Hills. All in all, we got the experience we anticipated and were willing to pay for; and in Hollywood there are no free lunches.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms avoid pool bar noise on Saturday nights. A studio suite is worth the extra $ for...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Rich O, Hotel Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Your review hit the nail right on the head. This is what Mondrian is all about: Great service, Food and Beverage, comfortable rooms and exciting nightlife. I am very happy you had a great four days with us....see you this summer?!?!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed there for a week in September and got an upgrade free parking and breakfast , see if you don't ask you don't get. The suite was overlooking the pool ( and everything in it! ) and the other view was looking out over Los Angeles fabulous. The staff were friendly ,pretty and always smiling . The waitresses in the Skybar looked like filmstars. They were doing a little re modelling to the pool area while we were there but it didn't bother us one bit as were high up.
All good really but a couple of gripes The first was that there were a lot of non paying guests around the pool from other hotels or places and this wasn't policed which says a lot for security and free breakfast was an allowance of $25 so then coffee costs you $7 a cup with no refill!

Room Tip: Get up as high as you can and face the city rather than the strip. Pool is a little wild on Fridays...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Seems you got to enjoy the Hollywood egde of Mondrian...I'm sure you will see some of our staff on a TV show coming to you soon! If you think it was amazing in September...come back this summer. Our pool and Skybar will blow you away! Thanks for staying.
London
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed at the Mondrian for two nights in April 2012 for business. The room was nice - big and comfortable. The decor was better than the Clift in San Francisco for sure - and the room was certainly cleaner. Toiletries were limited to tiny bottles again - that did not seem to open - again! But on the basis I now never use hotel toiletries, this was fine for me.

My key issue with this hotel is, again, the service. Schraeger hotels have seriously poor service. The staff seem far too cool and concerned about how they look in their all-black outfits to care about whether you are well taken care of. They were constantly chatting to each other so when you came up to the desk you had to wait for their gossip to stop before they bothered, with bored eyes, to serve you. This might have worked in the late-90s when the whole we-treat-you-like-dirt-so-you-beg-for-more ethos prevailed in a number of these hotels but some of us now just want service!

Room Tip: If you, like me, want someone who smiles when you turn up at the hotel and good quality - find a Fou...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Rich O, Hotel Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Hello..WoW took you a long time to respond! April 2012 is some time ago...however your feedback is truly valued. Alot has changed in almost a year. New cabana space by the pool..new lobby bar and a new menu at Asia De Cuba..our amazing restaurant! Service has always been great so not sure about your experience (our desk Agents do not dress in black...so not sure who you delt with). Regardless, if you find yourself back out way I have no doubt you will be blown away!