It was quite disappointing to stay at the Mondrian Los Angeles -- a supposedly higher end, design hotel. Rather, this place felt like a bad attempt at a designer budget hotel -- think Ace Hotels but worse. Checking in at 1am, the man at the front desk took about half an hour, saying the system was really slow and then telling me and my travel companion that the room we booked wasn't available. We had booked a "Deluxe Corner Suite" and were being told we'd have to be put in a "Studio Double" for the first night. Perhaps these rooms were similar but it certainly sounded like a down-grade. (Checking the website later, the Studio Double is advertised as 50 sq ft smaller and only has one wall of windows, not two -- so i would consider it a downgrade.) I asked if these rooms were the same quality and the man at the front desk totally dismissed my question and said, "yeah they're the same room...you're paying a low rate for any of the rooms here anyway." OK, yes, I had booked through a "sale site" online, but I was still paying over $250 per night per room, so please sir don't try to imply that I should be pleased just to take any room you offer. In the end, our room WAS available. We rush to get a drink at the bar before last call, and wow -- these are the worst drinks I've ever had. Getting to the bar, about eight servers/bartenders/employees completely ignore me and my two friends, which is rather indicative of the "too cool" attitude the employees have at this hotel. I had the worst gin and tonic of my life here ($19), and how do you mess up a g+t? Make it taste like a gin and flat-soda. It was so bad I even asked the bartender if this was my drink because it didn't taste like tonic water. His response: "Sometimes it tastes different coming out of the gun." Well, it tastes horrible, so perhaps you should rethink that tonic water gun. Another night both my friend and I had to return to the front desk because neither of our keys to the room worked. The front desk guy there asked if we'd put them near our cell-phones, because they are easily deactivated that way. We both stared at him blankly because we had been putting our keys in our purses (along with cell-phones, yes) and now this guy was advising we put our keys in our back pockets. The room itself (the suite, ahem) was a good size, bright and clean. Housekeeping only replaced our shampoo/conditioner/body wash once despite staying for four nights, which was a bit stingy for two women. And they never replenished the moisturizer. In the end, I would not stay here at this location again. It's trying to be luxury, but it's not quite there yet.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mondrian LA is a parallel universe of perpetual possibility. Rejuvenated by Benjamin Noriega-Ortiz, this luxury boutique hotel in the heart of West Hollywood captures everything the Strip stands for - excitement, invincibility and glamour. Entering Mondrian through its signature, thirty-foot mahogany doors, guests will find the recently expanded lobby, accented with hues of deep purple and complemented by custom-designed furniture, a Lucite indoor swing and a mushroom-inspired concierge desk. Complimentary high speed wireless internet access is offered in the lobby. Ivory On Sunset, a restaurant which is a collaboration with John Terzian of The h.wood Group, Built Inc. and Hakkasan Group, celebrates California cuisine and comfort foods to encourage diners to embrace the restaurant's communal philosophy, while our Lobby Bar serves a full cafe menu in the morning and small plates in the evening. Up in the sky, amid the clouds of Los Angeles, guests can enjoy the stunning view from our Skybar lounge, Los Angeles' mainstay for nightlife. Exxhibit Boutique, our gift shop, offers curated items tailored for the LA scene. Mondrian is located right on the Sunset Strip, close to Fox Studios, Paramount Pictures, Staples Center, Dodgers Stadium, Hollywood Hills, Santa Monica, Rodeo Drive and Getty Museum. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Priceline, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel West Hollywood
- Mondrian Hotel West Hollywood