“A Taste of West Hollywood” 4 of 5 bubbles

Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in West Hollywood
GreenLeadersBronze level
Vancouver BC
“A Taste of West Hollywood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

I had a great time with my 2 night stay in Mondrian Hotel. My only issue was the entrance , drive way. It took me a while to find the hotel as the sign is not visible and the drive way is in a awkward spot.
Other than that, it's fabulous. Love the room, Love the staff
I have to say points for the hotel for letting me know in advance that the SkyBar is closed for a private function so when I came in on my first day - I know what to expect.
Valet guys are fast and friendly. They bring your car up really fast.
The staff in Sky Bar are all friendly and fast service too.
The service in the restaurant is just so so ..
oh yeah the hallway to your room is a little dark.. I did not find the reason as to why it is designed like that when everything is just so bright.
Overall ... I will come back and will refer this to my friends.

oh BTW if you are looking for a peaceful and quiet place to stay .. i suggest to look somewhere else. this is somewhat a party hotel so expect to hear a lot of music

Room Tip: Free Wi Fi in the Lobby.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank StellaStyle
ChloeGEM, Guest Relations Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Thank you for your recent visit with us! I am happy to hear you enjoyed your room and the service in the hotel. Please come back and visit us soon. Sincerely, Chloe Linder

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

Good location. Attentive, courteous staff. Hotel room clean and very comfortable with fabulous views. Bed changed every day. Would definitely choose this hotel again. Only problem was they couldn't get the tea quite strong enough for us at breakfast in the morning but they tried very hard and we all made a joke of it in the end. (We are English and like a bit more strength) just down to personal taste.

Room Tip: The rear of the hotel looks over LA and the front looks over Beverley Hills, so down to personal cho...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChloeGEM, Guest Relations Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
We appreciate you providing feedback regarding your recent stay. I am happy to see you enjoyed your overall experience. Hopefully the next time you come back we can get the tea just right! We thank you very much for staying with us and hope to see you soon. Sincerely, Chloe Linder
Sao Paulo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

Besides being in a privileged spot in Los Angeles, the Mondrian has excellent facilities an almost perfect service and the room we stayed was beutiful, very pleasant and comfortable.
The service and the quality of foods in the restaurant was quite good.
The courtesy and competency in the front desk are unusual.
I would stay there again for sure if I return to LA

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback! I am happy to see you enjoyed the location and experience at Mondrian. We will see you back with us in the near future. Regards, Chloe Linder
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

We were graciously ushered into the Mondrian LA, by a team of 4 members of the staff, even though we only arrived with 4 small bags, and we arrived in a decidedly non-glamorous "shuttle bus" that we shared with multiple passengers, who were being dropped off at hostels, other places, homes, etc. Our crazy van made its last stop at the Mondrian, and the unassuming facade opened up to a GORGEOUS foyer, where finding reception was a breeze.

I was greeted by name.

How they did this, I do not understand. I am not sure how organized they are - but we checked in MUCH after the standard check-in time, and had never stayed before - facebook? linkedin?. I was already wildly impressed after about 2 minutes in the hotel, and the experience only got better after the initial greeting.

We were given a complimentary room upgrade to the nicest room in the hotel other than some crazy Penthouse Balcony Suite - the King 1 Bedroom with Kitchen + Office. I did not request this upgrade, and I was absolutely STUNNED when we arrived in the room, with its massive, perfectly white King Bed + ultra-plush mattress and HEAVY comforter in a brand-spanking-newly cleaned and pressed duvet cover, absolutely perfectly chosen furniture, sweeping views of LA, and, of course, the sexiest couch I have ever seen in a hotel room.

The hangers in the closet of the room were finger-spaced (for those of you who are not or do not know anything about retail, this means that someone took the time to ensure that all of the hangers in the closet area were evenly spaced, and all of the hangers were aligned so that they were perfectly horizontal), the iron was fresh and free of stains/water or burns, and the robes and ironing board look like they had just been unwrapped from their shipment. The chandelier and the small desk separating the kitchen from the Living Room was adorable.

The Bathroom was graciously proportioned, and had an extremely sexy see-through shower wall that faced right out to the bed and the rest of the apartment (there is a curtain you can draw from the bedroom if this is "not that kind of trip".

I was stunned at every single amenity of the unit.

The flip-around Television/Flat-Screen TV in the ornate, illuminated orange and mirrored frame is genius and tremendously chic.

The bath products were, of course, Malin + Goetz, and were perfect for vacation: rum mojito-scented body wash, peppermint hair products, Q-Tips in tiny sealed packets, and an abundance of perfectly white, soft towels.

AFTER LEAVING THE ROOM, it got even better - though leaving was hard, given how perfect everything was. We are talking the definition of "spotless perfection". Not a smudge on anything - not a fingerprint, not a hair - nothing. Basically, hospital clean.

The pool and both bars are absolutely stunning, with the feeling of floating above the entire city. The photos they have online don't even do the space justice. There are private pool chairs with servers, as well as pillows strewn about, and huge square couches to accommodate a few people, or just two for a small sun-filled cat nap after breakfast and the mimosas settle in. The bar and pool transform to a Moroccan-inspired paradise with candles, huge lanterns and pillows everywhere. On busy nights, it is guest list only, and the bouncer holding the line off had seen us at the pool before his shift started, so when we went up to shower and get dressed for dinner and drinks, when we got to him - he laughed when we tried to show him our room keys to get in and said, "I know you guys, come in." This place is spot-on. Every single facet.

To add (more) icing on the cake, there was always a smartly-dressed, tan and perfectly "Cali-chill" pool guy who had chairs ready for us every day of the stay - specifically saving the ones requested day one. The hostesses at the pool are wildly and unexpectedly personable, as they are absolutely stunning. We are talking "I just fell off of a Victoria's Secret Runway" pretty. We had 3 separate hostesses through the weekend. Vanessa was our go-to, and she was 100% perfect. The glasses NEVER went dry, when I looked like I was starting to burn, suntan lotion was offered. No upselling - no snobbery, no "I am being fake to get a big tip", just absolute and believably genuine desire to make sure our experience was flawless - and it was.

The food at the in-house restaurant is also somehow immaculate, and the woman who greeted us every morning for breakfast was ABSOLUTELY the nicest hostess I have EVER seen at any restaurant. She made the slight hangover from day-drinking and the necessity to wake up at 9am to experience the hotel and get a good seat OK. When you ask for a bloody Mary "spicy", it's spicy. If you ask for the scrambled eggs "soft", they are soft. The juice is real and fresh-squeezed, and the coffee is better than most huge coffee purveyors.

After breakfast, we lotioned up, and were surrounded by nothing but absolutely gracious help, 24/7. The guests at the pool were varied - there wasn't a specific demographic. I saw everything from "Real Housewives" material to party girls with belly rings and their Ed-Hardy clad boy toys.

I called Room Service to order some champagne at 3am one night (everything in LA closes so early! - We are from NYC where the party stops at 5/6am if it's a good one), and the champagne was in the room within 5 minutes, complete with a bowl of strawberries, two freezing cold glasses, and full pour service.

We were in the hotel for a total of four days, and we even stayed an extra day just to hang out at the pool and say our goodbyes until the next time.

I have never been treated better, by any hotel group, any restaurant, any hostess, or any pool staff.

If I could give the Mondrian another star, I would.

Though you would assume a pretentious and obnoxious stay given the likes of the Lohan and Spears clans that are regulars at the hotel, you get absolutely none of it. I genuinely felt like any and every need we had was met, above and beyond any reasonable measure. I was treated as if I were an A-List celebrity from the first moment until the last.

It is now almost time to go back for my birthday in July, and I absolutely can not WAIT to step foot through those doors again, into the perfectly air-conditioned and scented lobby of the ONLY place outside of NYC that I could ever be so stunned by. We even went out one night to Chateau Marmont and a few of the other nearby "hot spots", and were out for about 2 whole hours until we went running back.

We bought groceries in excitement of the kitchen on the first day - only to throw them away at the end of the stay. Nothing we could have gathered at the nearby Trader Joe's other than a few choice bottles of wine could touch what the Mondrian had in store for us. There is literally no reason to leave the hotel.

It's almost like when you leave, you instantly wish you hadn't stepped out of the doors. They have truly created an absolutely spectacular oasis in the middle of what can be a rough-and-tumble spot on the top of a hill compared to the Mondrian. The convenience store across the street reminded me of a 7-11 in the middle of West Virginia in comparison...but not to worry, they will go to any shop for you, and pick things up for you - while you are at the pool - and deliver them while you're sipping an ice-cold glass of champagne with Vanessa making sure your towels are dry and that you are in the seat that's getting you the exact sun you want.

SIX STARS. I will visit this hotel and endure the extra 3 hours on the plane for life to go to this immaculate oasis. Hoping visit #2 is another win!

Room Tip: Tip: Splurge and get the King 1 Bedroom. It's worth it and pays for itself hand-over-fist. I won...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JamesEverettLewis
ChloeGEM, Guest Relations Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Wow, a Lifer… I love it! Thank you for this amazing in depth review of your stay with us. I am so touched that you received such a high level of service with every department in the hotel. This is the exact experience we aspire to deliver. I am very touched by your review and I know we will be seeing you soon. Sincerely, Chloe Linder
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

We came from Australia for our wedding anniversary and our Mondrian experience was superb. Stunning views from the rooms and poolside, but even more impressive is the service. We were so impressed with the staff at all levels. We travel frequently and stay at designer digs but the Mondrian has been our best experience to date. Well done guys!

Room Tip: Ask for a city facing room on high floor for sweeping and spectacular views
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your lovely comments regarding the service in the hotel. I am glad you had a memorable anniversary get away! We hope to see you in the near future. Best Wishes, Chloe Linder
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012

Great service - lovely staff who care and very professional yet a fun and funky vibe. Best location and terrific views of LA. Most unusual decor and truly LA feel. Definitely one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. Staff so patient and helpful. Pool fun. Food great. Rooms gorgeous. What else could you want?

Room Tip: Top floor great views. All rooms quiet as now have sealed windows.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChloeGEM, Guest Relations Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post this! I am glad you were able to enjoy the creativity, décor, and service Mondrian has to offer. We really enjoyed having you with us and hope you will visit us again. Sincerely, Chloe Linder
Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012 via mobile

We splashed out a bit for this hotel for our 1 night in LA. It is one of those cool hotels where you could feel a bit intimidated however the staff are so friendly and welcoming that it doesn't even cross your mind.

I love the bright colours and minimimalstic decor and our room had the most amazing views of LA from the floor to ceiling windows.

We were disappointed that the wi-fi signal would not reach our room and we had to walk out into the hall to access. There didn't seem to be any solution to this although the staff did apologise. We were also not informed until we checked in that the sky bar was under renovation, one of the reasons we picked this hotel but were informed if we wanted to use a pool, we had access to the hotel across the street. ( we didn't go).

It is a great location for LA although pricey (parking is $33 for a night) but worth a visit if budget isnt a concern and you want somewhere unique.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback! I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your nice comments regarding our service. All hotel guests are able to access Wi-Fi in the comfort of their rooms. Did you call the front desk to advise of this problem? We have a 24-hour Wi-Fi support team that is on hand to assist with any connectivity issues. I would like to extend apologies that the pool was closed during your stay. Skybar and the pool are now open, so we hope you come back soon to visit. Regards, Chloe Linder