“Rooftop Bar is fun and fabulous for people watching”
Review of Petit Ermitage

Petit Ermitage
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is in a good location. We had a quick in and out weekend and needed a fun place in this area. The room was big, spacious and comfortable. Reception was prompt and attentive. The rooftop bar and restaurant appears to be a draw for the eclectic. Food is very good but be aware that drinks are expensive and lack the expected amount of alcohol for what you pay. Service is friendly but can be slow. Great people watching

• Stayed: July 2013
There are newer reviews for Petit Ermitage

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We (husband and I) booked this hotel because of good deal location and good reviews. We knew what to expect, that there might be little hick up's etc, but when many little things went wrong causing our holiday having a sourish end, feel sorry to write a average review.

We knew that check in is late, 4pm. Arrived to the hotel at noon, so very early. Front desk people were very friendly and nice, we got informed that we had an upgrade, which was very lovely surprise. Left the bags on holding, under my name and spent some time in WeHo.
Came back to the hotel around 3 pm, room wasn't ready yet, which was expected. This allowed us to spend some time at the rooftop bar, which is a really lovely area.

Room was available around 4pm when we went back to the check-in area, waited another 15 mins before the key was ready, got my credit card swiped again (should have been so much more alert here!), which is normal even when your rooms are prepaid. Got the keys and the card with the room number, luggage was supposed to follow us in short time.
First hick up happened next and caused ripples for the rest of the holiday: we couldn't get in to the room, keys didn't work. Lovely worker who we saw on the floor, offered to help us out and let us in to the room + went down to get the keys activated. He was very helpful and polite, kudos for that!
Next we ended up waiting for over an hour for our luggage to arrive... it didn't turn up and we had to call the desk, only to be told to come downstairs to identify the bags and to be told the credit card was expired. This obviously got us bit wary, since the card should be fine etc. The credit card error we got told on phone turned out to be just that they needed to write the expiration date down, surprised why wasn't it written down in the first place when we checked in. Guess that could be one of those little things to be ironed out..

Long story short - turned out when we went to reception, our bags were held under my maiden name, so they couldn't find them (I use a combination name and someone had dropped the end part away when cards were written on our bags). This had caused the confusion with the bags...
Next came information that we had been put into a wrong room, our room keys were allocated to a different room than what the cardholder and what we got told when keys were handed over - this was due to the system they have were the keys are physically held in the little locker system. My credit card was swiped to a wrong room...meaning that the money they were holding was a LOT more than it should have been...causing my card to be maxed out (still waiting it to be cleared of from my card after 10 days, not sure if this is because of the bank or the hotel). I couldn't use my card because of this for the rest of the holiday because of the pending request... Not the biggest disaster in the world, but a bit of a hindrance on your holiday funds. This was obviously just a human error, but never the less, unsatisfactory service in that point of view.
Have to say that people at the desk were nice, but damage was done and so be it.

All in all - while we stayed there rooms were lovely and everything in there worked. Didn't use any of room service etc. but the beds were lovely to sleep in, rooms were tidy and hotel was quiet. :) Had some good sleeps there! Location is wonderful if you are into Sunset Strip or Santa Monica Blvd's activities - everything is so close by!

Plusses:
- Location
- Rooms
- Cleanlines
- Rooftop area

Minuses:
- Too much hassle for the money you are paying for a night in a four star hotel
- Make sure, double check that you get a right room key
- Make sure that they swipe your card for a right room

Just because those unfortunate mistakes that made our stay start and end with more somber mood than happy, means we're choose to stay somewhere else. With four stars you do expect the service to work - I don't expect anything over the top from hotels: clean, everything works and it is good to have a rest.
Still want to thank the staff over at Petit, we have no complains over their attitude, everyone was nice. Maybe it is the background processes that need tuning up and communication?

1  Thank Heli-WeHo
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This hotel turned out to be everything most say about it. Close to bars and restaurants, but very much a few blocks away in a quiet neighborhood. It really is a relaxing oasis in the heart of the West Side - a hybrid approach carried off well, far better in my opinion than most boutique hotels. The service, though not always perfect, clearly shows a sense of intent by all that they want to give you a perfect experience. Personally witnessed the Bar Manager leave the premises and return with liquor that a customer requested, but he didn't have. This effort was given for what turned out to be what most would consider 'low-brow' booze, not the other way around. I place this act under the heading of 'outstanding service above and beyond the call of duty'. Quiet neighborhood living makes this hotel extra comfortable The rooftop bar, poolside seating, along with a few other rooftop environs make one feel like they have landed in a very exclusive, private club. Beautiful surroundings, and views at sunset, and beyond. Highly recommend.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

The Pros
Comfy bed, spacious room, good location, secure parking.

The Cons
Check-in...4pm check-in time fit with our schedule, but I think that a 4 hour window (from noon check-out) to clean the room is too much.
The rooftop bar...We went up with the intention of having a martini before going out for dinner. It was really busy and messy. We were not greeted, and were just grunted at when asked for a menu, so we left. I think when you're paying $16 a drink, you should be able to expect more than a frat house pool party.
Service...it took nearly 30 minutes for our luggage to arrive in the room (I could have just carried it myself). When we asked for an iron to be delivered, we gave up and left the room after 40 minutes because we had dinner reservations (which we then had to attend somewhat crumpled).

The room itself was comfy and spacious, but I wouldn't stay there again as the service was a real disappointment. For $250 per night, the whole experience should have been better.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Weird, last-minute whirlwind of a trip to LA from the east coast to deal with some work stuff. Flitted from neighborhood to neighborhood and hotel to hotel for 2 weeks. BUT. My one night at the Petit Ermitage? An oasis. A prince among men. Joy. Happiness. Bliss. Peace. Sunshine. The bed was incredibly comfortable, and the room was so spacious and inviting. Will certainly come back time and again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 9, 2013

First let me say that I stay in the hotel very often; generally several days a month. Thus I have stayed in more than a dozen rooms here. The rooms are very comfortable and rather large, the suites have a mini kitchenette, there is a fireplace and all the creature comforts. The staff are extremely helpful and accommodating (several are obviously top-tier like Hayley and Graziano at the desk and Joshua as well...very white-glove-service-oriented), and the emphasis on privacy is really appreciated. There is no photography (except by permission) so you can disappear here if you need to. I do notice that they might do a better job enforcing the photo policy (pardon, I've included a couple in this review)

The new fitness center is very good, although there are so many options locally for fitness you may not use it. The cookies in the lobby are homemade and delicious, which may force you to reconsider your fitness club decision. The butterfly bar is comfy with a lounge that has an old world library feel and an outdoor seating area on the rooftop restaurant that is frequently visited by hummingbirds and butterflies. The staff up there are good about customizing meal options, but be forewarned the gratuity is always added and its in small print and very easily missed. The tagine is delicious, the squash blossoms have been a bit over-fried the last few times, the kale and quinoa tabouli is wonderful and the sorbets are house-made. Breakfasts are also delicious, but they don't start very early, so if you are a business traveler you may want to make other breakfast plans. The rooftop pool is small but really a nice oasis and cabanas are available for rent, although I've never actually done it.

There is a movie night where movies are shown on the rooftop, and there is a swank, clubby feel in the evenings. I like that the rooftop is guests only, but there are many events as well which can get it rather busy. The location of the hotel is great; walking distance to santa monica blvd and the shops there, froyo etc. But the hotel itself is set back on cynthia so its away from the noise and bustle.

Minor issues: on three separate occasions the sink plunge lever has been stuck, and you have to ask for an iron and sign a waiver (??) but a handheld steamer is standard. Many of the rooms don't have a full length mirror which is a major miss. The basic internet is free, but a "high speed" version is about $3/day. In my experience, I haven't noticed much of a difference. Parking is pricey..its valet only and $32/night.

Overall I'd say this is one of the best options I've found in the LA area for service, privacy, quality and price. The room prices are very reasonable, but the parking and especially food will add on quite a bit although it is really delicious. I will continue to use this as my go-to property in WeHo.

Room Tip: The rooms immediately adjacent to the lobby can be rather loud.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed at the Petit Ermitage in this summer and had a great surprise. It was our first time in LA so we were a little lost at first. The hotel is amazing. We got room 411 next to the pool stairs witch was great! The room is big and comfortable, as we were 3 (me, my mother and my sister) we asked for an extra bed, the extra bed was HORRIBLE!!! The bathroom was good, the shower amazing! At the private roof club there were always nice people having a great time. The restaurant was good, the breakfast amazing with all organic things.
The staff was wonderful and very helpful!

Room Tip: 4th floor rooms
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
The Hollywood Roosevelt
#17 of 353 in Los Angeles
Andaz West Hollywood
#4 of 19 in West Hollywood

Been to Petit Ermitage? Share your experiences!