“Mandatory tipping is a problem”
Review of Petit Ermitage

Petit Ermitage
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
NYC
“Mandatory tipping is a problem”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

The hotel is nice and in a cool location just walking distance to great places to eat and drink. My only issue is the mandatory tipping at 16% in the bar/restaurant. I can't see how this helps the business as some staff are great and others not so good. So what's the incentive to go beyond the call of duty. One hostess at breakfast said when I asked after 30 minutes if she could check on where it was replied 'the waiter will bring it out when it's ready'. I was the only person in the restaurant , I guess she still gets her 16%.

Room Tip: I had a room with a balcony which was nice.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I had been to the rooftop once before so when I was looking for a hotel to stay in for a birthday I checked out the Petit Ermitage. I loved it. The staff was friendly and on point. I splurged for the Masters Suite Package and I high recommend it. For not that much more we got a bottle of champagne when we arrived, upgrade on our room, a butler (who really was a fancy tour guide), breakfast for two, and a candle when we left. We had a noon check out, but they were happy to accommodate our luggage and leave our tab open for the pool. We felt no pressure to leave which was very nice. I would love to go back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ashland, OR
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I'm in LA every other month for studio meetings and generally stay in a villa at the Sunset Marquis, so you can imagine how picky I am about hotel accomodations. The prices there, however, have become prohibitively expensive, and so I shopped around for a better deal in the West Hollywood area (central to meetings all over LA). A hotel room, for me, firstly, has to be QUIET. It has to be clean. The staff has to be professional and accomodating. I have to feel like I've found my home on the road, because otherwise my nerves fray (a peaceful one bedroom is essential). It is SO HARD to find all of this in LA hotels! The good news is that I found what I needed in spades at Petit Ermitage (to my surprise, actually. I've stayed at apartment building-turned hotels before and the experience was miserable). I was given a one bedroom on the third floor, which was charming and so quiet! (Well, except for the jackhammer on a street nearby, but that wasn't the hotel's fault.) Lovely, French-Morrocan styled furnishings, comfy and absolutely quiet bedroom (I couldn't hear any neighbors), a lovely little kitchen (I didn't cook, but it made me think I should have bought groceries). Terrific staff (a grateful shout-out to Mesut, whose name I'm probably misspelling, but who was so helpful, who put me in exactly the right room when I told him what I needed). The only drawbacks were the tv in the bedroom, which didn't work, despite my asking twice that it be fixed. Ancient, half-broken telephones. And a limited menu if you find yourself eating in the hotel frequently. Otherwise, it was a great stay, a great find, and may I add, far less expensive than the Sunset Marquis, a place I love but might be forced to say goodbye to if they can't offer a better rate.

Room Tip: There's music on the 4th floor at night and apparently you can hear it in certain rooms below...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Location: GREAT, residential location between Sunset and Santa Monica Blvd. If you are looking to keep the car parked so that you can walk/visit the West Hollywood strip, then this hotel was a very convenient option.

Parking: Just do the valet. $32 per night. Had my car towed from right in front of the hotel, because after 9pm it turns into "5R residential parking only." The valet guy said you get a citation first and have 30 mins to move your car. Lesson learned.

Rooms: Beds and linens were comfortable. The fireplace was a nice touch as well as the sitting area. The sliding glass doors are up for replacement as they are OLD.

Arrived early morning and knew the room would not be ready which was completely fine. Front desk person was gracious and said they would phone me when the room was ready, but no call ever came. I phoned at 3pm and the room was ready. We checked in around 4pm.

The hotel has a small pool and deck area that provides a nice view. However, coming and going from the hotel became annoying. If you plan on leaving the hotel when the elevator attendant is on duty, be ready to show him your key card, tell him your room number multiple times, and then explain to him that you are NOT going to the private pool area but you'd just like to go back to your room. This situation alone was decision enough to stay elsewhere next time. It got to the point, that we'd come down from our room on the 3rd floor and forget something and have to go back up....and the whole process would start over. We could leave and go outside for 5 mins and not leave his eyesight, to come back in and do whole process over.
Tip: When you enter the hotel, bypass the one-small elevator and take the stairs to the right. So much quicker and less intrusive.Again, you're staying at the Petit, not the Four Seasons.

Overall, this was just an OK stay. My second time and last at the property. I will always pay the extra $50-100 per night to stay up the street at the London from now on. Much better experience, pool area/rooftop, included breakfast, room finish out etc.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank TravelerDallasTX
Melbourne
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I was a little nervous about this hotel because of some of the reviews but I'm happy to report that none of those 'bad' experiences happened to my boyfriend and I. We were always greeted pleasantly by all the staff (aside for one new security guard being trained who was over zealous with his duties and ego!).

Our room was excellent and we were treated to a complimentry upgrade which was really appreciated as we had a lot of luggage as we were at the end of our 5 week trip of the US and Canada. The roof top was sensational and service at night was very attentive and friendly. I've reccomended this hotel to others who are travelling to LA soon and I can't wait to hear how much they have loved this place too.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I visited this hotel about 5 years ago, and then again this week. It's still probably my favorite in the world. It has great charm, large well decorated rooms and the roof terrace and pool is fantastic. The service is good, and drinks and food excellent.
The other guests are pleasant and its not there were no screaming children, making the roof pool a delightful place to spend the afternoon and evening.

Definitely worth a stay - you wont be dissappointed

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Petit Ermitage is a very funky boutique hotel in West Hollywood that is reasonably affordable, and very comfortable. The decor is really interesting, with an amazing collection of art in every corridor on every floor - Erte, Miro, etc. Even Pointillist art up on the 4th floor - the real thing.

The rooms are a good size, with interesting furniture and comfortable beds. Mine had a nice couch and relaxation area.

There is a private club on the 4th floor that is part of your room rate, and most enjoyable it is too. The roof garden is wonderful - there is a very pleasant outdoor restaurant that serves tasty food at reasonable prices, a swimming pool, and an outdoor bar area. The indoor bar is small but comfortable, and there is a great lounge with a funky painted piano (it's a good piano, too...) where you can eat and drink as well.

I found the staff to be friendly and helpful, service was very good, and the overall experience was great. This is not your regular hotel, and if you are a Westin/Hilton sort of person, you may not be as satisfied as I was. But I have no qualms about recommending Petit Ermitage - I will be back for sure.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Beverly Hills
The Beverly Hills Hotel
The Beverly Hills Hotel
#1 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to Petit Ermitage? Share your experiences!