“Petit Perfect”
Review of Petit Ermitage

Petit Ermitage
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is a delightful boutique hotel in a quiet neighbourhood street so close to all that is West Hollywood.

Loved the Decor, ambience and the cookies. Each morning we walked down to Santa Monica Blvd and had a great breakfast.

The room was spacious, peaceful and it almost felt like your own little apartment.

A tad disappointed at the cost of valet parking but a minor grumble in the scheme of things.

I would definitely choose to stay again

Room Tip: All rooms are peaceful and large.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Petit Ermitage

Reviewed March 14, 2013

There are so many positives about this hotel- the convenient West Hollywood location, the charm, the outdoor rooftop restaurant, the art that fills the walls of the common areas, the friendly front desk and valet staff... I would say our overall experience at Petit Ermitage was somewhat above average, but the rooms would need a freshening-up before I would stay there again.

We stayed in an Executive Suite on the 2nd Floor. It was large, quiet, with a nice little balcony and a gas fireplace. It had potential, and I liked some of the antique furniture, but our overall impression was that the room was dark and slightly dingy feeling. The kitchenette, for one thing, looked like it belonged in an old motel- very run down. While there were some good aspects- the white bedding/duvet cover, the flat screen tv- the room didn't really feel clean and up-to-date.

Petit Ermitage, don't lose your charm, but don't rely on it, either!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I once worked with a Moroccan gentleman and he was most distasteful, boorish, and unpleasant. It’s a good thing I didn’t let this gentleman influence my choice in hotels. I recently stayed with the Moroccan inspired Petit Ermitage in West Hollywood and must say I was taken aback when I arrived – and pleased.

The hotel, nestled in a residential neighborhood (the property was an apartment building in a former life) sneaks up on you and can easily be missed. The valet dressed in ivy and the entryway is flanked with gas burning lanterns, which made me feel very at home arriving at 2am; a flickering glowing beacon. My suite, if one might call this a suite, I suspect was larger than many residences in the busy surrounding neighborhood and provided all the comforts of home. A step down living room, fireplace, kitchen, well-appointed bath (who doesn’t like C.O. Bigelow?), and large screens and technology throughout. The Moroccan theme and colors magenta, mustards and browns make one feel very at home. Moreover, I spent more than five hours at the rooftop private club, pool, and restaurant and bar and report they are all top notch and not a single complaint. If I were to identify any detractions I might mention the very, very small elevator and, albeit well appointed, the very small bath (even in my suite); not to mention

Bellmen in Moroccan attire including headdress, yet wearing Nike athletic shoes – a mild oversight. Such small things will never get in the way of my next visit.

Would I recommend Petit Ermitage you ask? But of course. I not only recommend a stay with the Petit Ermitage, I am already planning my return. Next time with targets set on a romantic weekend. Petit Ermitage fits the bill.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 12, 2013

A charming hotel with antique furniture and paintings gallery with valet parking where Santa Monica Boulevard as well as Sunset Boulevards are easily accessible. The rooms are really cosy with all you can ask for. The hotel is not noisy as it is situated on a side street. But there are eateries very near to the hotel. The staff is courteous and the walks at night are inviting.

Room Tip: Our room has a door to the garden so air conditioning was not necessary
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I have read a few of the reviews on here and must say I am quite surprised. My stay at Petit Ermitage was wonderful. The customer service was top notch. The Rooftop Pool area was so relaxing and I had invited friends who live in West Hollywood to come over and check it out. They had no idea the hotel existed and felt like they were 'on vacation' as we had lunch with the hummingbirds. Everyone who worked at the hotel was kind and helpful....( except for one bartender on the roof who apparently hates his job and wishes to be on film ). The room service was very fast, the staff at the front desk were very cheery and the dudes who hang by the elevator make me feel like I was in a Wes Anderson movie ! The location is also a bonus... right below Sunset Blvd - and right above Santa Monica blvd. Restaurants, Sunset Plaza, Liquor Stores, great restaurants... I mean, I don't know what else you could want. Thank you Petit Ermitage. My stay was a memorable one.

Room Tip: I was on the third floor in room 318 facing Cynthia Street. It had a balcony where I would sit and...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Okay, so I got sucked in by the "boutique hotel / we really value our customers" sort of thing and thought Petit Ermitage looked to be a wonderful place to stay on my wedding night.

The French theme in the rooms and the artwork all over the place were very lovely, as was the rooftop pool. The magic really started to fade, though. Some friends had sent some delicious chocolate covered strawberries to our room before we even checked in, which was an awesome touch. When trying to order another batch of them later on, the answer we got was "uhhh, those were a special order....I'll have to call you back."

"I'll have to call you back?" Petit Ermitage finds it fun to insinuate no wish is too great... to quote their website: "Should you wish your Honor Bar to be filled solely with Chocolate Meringues, or have Sunset Boulevard closed so you might walk your Giraffe - your wish is the Liaison's command..." My Liaison (which you get with the Masters Quarters rooms) seemed nice enough but, when his phone rang and rang and went to voicemail, I just started calling the front desk with any questions or requests I had because I knew someone would pick up.

Also, their billing seems to be absolutely horrendous. If you choose to stay at Petit Ermitage, watch for extra charges that might pop up on your credit card. In my case, these were the problems:

1. They put a hold on my credit card for the room AND parking bundled together. When I then ended up paying for parking in cash at checkout time, they billed the credit card as a separate charge for the room itself. The combo of the hold AND the adjusted, room-only charge nearly maxed out my credit card.

2. There is now a separate, $32 charge on my card that popped up - that amount happens to be the cost of parking which, as mentioned, was paid in cash.

3. There is also a $40 charge that popped up. I can't even begin to imagine what that one is for. I called the hotel (on a Saturday night) to see what the charges are attributed to, and they transferred me to accounting. As most accountants probably don't work Saturday night shifts, I couldn't get an update for a couple days.

Bottom line, don't stay here. They have a slick website, but take particular notice that their "manifesto" is all about "you can do this," rather than "we can do this for you."

UPDATE: As a follow-up, two of the managers called me. They both acknowledged mistakes made and sounded sincere. The $40 charge was for a bottle of WINE that I picked (from a choice of red, white, or champagne) that was included with the Masters Quarter room. A bottle of CHAMPAGNE was in the room on ice when I arrived, however, so I moved that to the mini-fridge and took the bottle of red by the snack bar in the room. I called the hotel when I got home (20 min. after checking out) to let them know I took the red and that the champagne was in the fridge, to make sure they wouldn't bill me in case they overlooked it. I was told it would be no problem and was billed for it regardless.

Judging by some of the other reviews, the hotel can, at times, provide decent service... but let this serve as a notice of the headaches they are also capable of.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank doctoro2
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I was referred to this hotel by a friend of mine whose opinion I trust. I was highly disappointed (and so was my friend) in the customer service, cleanliness and responsiveness.

I am planning my birthday party, and I called twice on 2/27 to request to speak to the reservations department. I called 310-854-1114 at 9:56A, and the first time was transferred by a gentleman to the reservations voicemail. I called a second time at 11:45A, spoke to a gentleman (not sure if it was the same one) who said that the reservations department was unavailable and that if I had previously left a message, it would be returned shortly. I never got a call back.

I happened to be the in area the next day and stopped by and asked for the manager. I met the Revenue and Reservations Manager, Mesut Erkoc. I explained to him that I had a party in a few weeks and would like to book 1-3 rooms and maybe the pool side for a party. He all but rolled his eyes as he showed me several rooms. I mentioned to him that I might want to book the pool area for different parties in the future, but that didn't seem to make a dent in his frosty demeanor.

The final straw was when I mentioned that my two calls the day before were not returned. Mesut really didn't have an explanation or apology. Do they NOT need the business that badly that they can't return voicemails on their reservations line promptly?

As a side note, the decor was not my taste but I am really complaining about the service. There was a eaten watermelon rind on the stand in front of the front desk - I mentioned it to Mario at the front desk, and he was nice about it - maybe he should be promoted to Mesut's place.

I am sorry to write a negative review, but I feel that a boutique hotel such as this, charging these rates for tiny rooms with expensive parking ($15 for events, $35 for the night) should have superior service and cater to the customer.

It's too bad that the Special Events Manager, Laryssa Stevens, wrote me an email promptly with information about booking events - because of my experience, I will be booking my birthday celebration somewhere else...too much attitude - not worth it!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
The Hollywood Roosevelt
#17 of 353 in Los Angeles
Andaz West Hollywood
#4 of 19 in West Hollywood

Been to Petit Ermitage? Share your experiences!