“Moroccan Inspired Luxury”

Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in West Hollywood
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Moroccan Inspired Luxury”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I once worked with a Moroccan gentleman and he was most distasteful, boorish, and unpleasant. It’s a good thing I didn’t let this gentleman influence my choice in hotels. I recently stayed with the Moroccan inspired Petit Ermitage in West Hollywood and must say I was taken aback when I arrived – and pleased.

The hotel, nestled in a residential neighborhood (the property was an apartment building in a former life) sneaks up on you and can easily be missed. The valet dressed in ivy and the entryway is flanked with gas burning lanterns, which made me feel very at home arriving at 2am; a flickering glowing beacon. My suite, if one might call this a suite, I suspect was larger than many residences in the busy surrounding neighborhood and provided all the comforts of home. A step down living room, fireplace, kitchen, well-appointed bath (who doesn’t like C.O. Bigelow?), and large screens and technology throughout. The Moroccan theme and colors magenta, mustards and browns make one feel very at home. Moreover, I spent more than five hours at the rooftop private club, pool, and restaurant and bar and report they are all top notch and not a single complaint. If I were to identify any detractions I might mention the very, very small elevator and, albeit well appointed, the very small bath (even in my suite); not to mention

Bellmen in Moroccan attire including headdress, yet wearing Nike athletic shoes – a mild oversight. Such small things will never get in the way of my next visit.

Would I recommend Petit Ermitage you ask? But of course. I not only recommend a stay with the Petit Ermitage, I am already planning my return. Next time with targets set on a romantic weekend. Petit Ermitage fits the bill.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Montefollonico, Italy
Reviewed March 12, 2013

A charming hotel with antique furniture and paintings gallery with valet parking where Santa Monica Boulevard as well as Sunset Boulevards are easily accessible. The rooms are really cosy with all you can ask for. The hotel is not noisy as it is situated on a side street. But there are eateries very near to the hotel. The staff is courteous and the walks at night are inviting.

Room Tip: Our room has a door to the garden so air conditioning was not necessary
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I have read a few of the reviews on here and must say I am quite surprised. My stay at Petit Ermitage was wonderful. The customer service was top notch. The Rooftop Pool area was so relaxing and I had invited friends who live in West Hollywood to come over and check it out. They had no idea the hotel existed and felt like they were 'on vacation' as we had lunch with the hummingbirds. Everyone who worked at the hotel was kind and helpful....( except for one bartender on the roof who apparently hates his job and wishes to be on film ). The room service was very fast, the staff at the front desk were very cheery and the dudes who hang by the elevator make me feel like I was in a Wes Anderson movie ! The location is also a bonus... right below Sunset Blvd - and right above Santa Monica blvd. Restaurants, Sunset Plaza, Liquor Stores, great restaurants... I mean, I don't know what else you could want. Thank you Petit Ermitage. My stay was a memorable one.

Room Tip: I was on the third floor in room 318 facing Cynthia Street. It had a balcony where I would sit and...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Okay, so I got sucked in by the "boutique hotel / we really value our customers" sort of thing and thought Petit Ermitage looked to be a wonderful place to stay on my wedding night.

The French theme in the rooms and the artwork all over the place were very lovely, as was the rooftop pool. The magic really started to fade, though. Some friends had sent some delicious chocolate covered strawberries to our room before we even checked in, which was an awesome touch. When trying to order another batch of them later on, the answer we got was "uhhh, those were a special order....I'll have to call you back."

"I'll have to call you back?" Petit Ermitage finds it fun to insinuate no wish is too great... to quote their website: "Should you wish your Honor Bar to be filled solely with Chocolate Meringues, or have Sunset Boulevard closed so you might walk your Giraffe - your wish is the Liaison's command..." My Liaison (which you get with the Masters Quarters rooms) seemed nice enough but, when his phone rang and rang and went to voicemail, I just started calling the front desk with any questions or requests I had because I knew someone would pick up.

Also, their billing seems to be absolutely horrendous. If you choose to stay at Petit Ermitage, watch for extra charges that might pop up on your credit card. In my case, these were the problems:

1. They put a hold on my credit card for the room AND parking bundled together. When I then ended up paying for parking in cash at checkout time, they billed the credit card as a separate charge for the room itself. The combo of the hold AND the adjusted, room-only charge nearly maxed out my credit card.

2. There is now a separate, $32 charge on my card that popped up - that amount happens to be the cost of parking which, as mentioned, was paid in cash.

3. There is also a $40 charge that popped up. I can't even begin to imagine what that one is for. I called the hotel (on a Saturday night) to see what the charges are attributed to, and they transferred me to accounting. As most accountants probably don't work Saturday night shifts, I couldn't get an update for a couple days.

Bottom line, don't stay here. They have a slick website, but take particular notice that their "manifesto" is all about "you can do this," rather than "we can do this for you."

UPDATE: As a follow-up, two of the managers called me. They both acknowledged mistakes made and sounded sincere. The $40 charge was for a bottle of WINE that I picked (from a choice of red, white, or champagne) that was included with the Masters Quarter room. A bottle of CHAMPAGNE was in the room on ice when I arrived, however, so I moved that to the mini-fridge and took the bottle of red by the snack bar in the room. I called the hotel when I got home (20 min. after checking out) to let them know I took the red and that the champagne was in the fridge, to make sure they wouldn't bill me in case they overlooked it. I was told it would be no problem and was billed for it regardless.

Judging by some of the other reviews, the hotel can, at times, provide decent service... but let this serve as a notice of the headaches they are also capable of.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank doctoro2
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I was referred to this hotel by a friend of mine whose opinion I trust. I was highly disappointed (and so was my friend) in the customer service, cleanliness and responsiveness.

I am planning my birthday party, and I called twice on 2/27 to request to speak to the reservations department. I called 310-854-1114 at 9:56A, and the first time was transferred by a gentleman to the reservations voicemail. I called a second time at 11:45A, spoke to a gentleman (not sure if it was the same one) who said that the reservations department was unavailable and that if I had previously left a message, it would be returned shortly. I never got a call back.

I happened to be the in area the next day and stopped by and asked for the manager. I met the Revenue and Reservations Manager, Mesut Erkoc. I explained to him that I had a party in a few weeks and would like to book 1-3 rooms and maybe the pool side for a party. He all but rolled his eyes as he showed me several rooms. I mentioned to him that I might want to book the pool area for different parties in the future, but that didn't seem to make a dent in his frosty demeanor.

The final straw was when I mentioned that my two calls the day before were not returned. Mesut really didn't have an explanation or apology. Do they NOT need the business that badly that they can't return voicemails on their reservations line promptly?

As a side note, the decor was not my taste but I am really complaining about the service. There was a eaten watermelon rind on the stand in front of the front desk - I mentioned it to Mario at the front desk, and he was nice about it - maybe he should be promoted to Mesut's place.

I am sorry to write a negative review, but I feel that a boutique hotel such as this, charging these rates for tiny rooms with expensive parking ($15 for events, $35 for the night) should have superior service and cater to the customer.

It's too bad that the Special Events Manager, Laryssa Stevens, wrote me an email promptly with information about booking events - because of my experience, I will be booking my birthday celebration somewhere else...too much attitude - not worth it!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank amylremax
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed here for a week while on business. The room was unfortunately very shabby and in my opinion not worth what I was charged to stay in it. The rooftop bar was lovely and staff very helpful, but I was also the only one up there. They could do with a good remodeling as the hotel is in a good location and this could bring them happier guests.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jamie P
Ann K, General Manager at Petit Ermitage, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Spurs 1985,

thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are happy you enjoyed our Private Rooftop Club with our Garden, heated salt water pool and firedeck, as well as our staff and service. The overall feel and decor of Petit Ermitage, including its suites is based around an antique, bohemian theme and certainly not for everyone, but I assure you, each item in the suite, from the Moroccan mirrors, handwoven Turkish carpets or 618 thread count Egyptian cotton linens is a high-end luxury item and has been picked with the utmost care. I would be happy to give you a tour of some of our suites when you return, so that you can select one you prefer most, as each suite is slightly different from the next. Thank you again for leaving us this note, it is truly appreciated and valued so we can contstantly grow, expand and exceed guest's expectations on future stays.
Brisbane
Reviewed February 5, 2013

This hotel was quite unusual to me. It had that homely feel like all the rooms were different and each piece of furniture was handpicked. The pool had a spectacular view of the Hollywood hills. Short walk to restaurants and shops. Found the only Australian-like supermarket here. Actually had a fruit and vegetables section. Make sure you go to Millions of Milkshakes while you're in the area. People staying at the hotel seemed a little pretentious but I later found out it is where alot of actors and actresses (aspiring or otherwise) hang out. Which makes sense while they were all talking on their phones to their "agents" making sure everyone in the pool area could hear. You might even catch a celebrity event if you're lucky, I hear not long after I was there, Chanel (or something like that) held an event at this hotel.

Room Tip: Seems like more of a boutique hotel so I think while all rooms may be different to look at, I think...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Hello Rikki-Lee,

thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review here on our page. We are happy you enjoyed our boutique home, the Private Rooftop Club with its heated salt water pool, and view of the Hollywood Hills. You are absolutely correct in your observation that each piece of furniture, each art work and other element of Petit Ermitage is handpicked to create a home away from home for all of our guests. I personally love that you went to Millions of Milkshakes as this is my little guilty pleasure and am glad you got to explore our neighborhood of West Hollywood. I do apologize about the experience you had upstairs around the pool, our guests are usually very laid back and come to us to get away from the hussle and bussle of the city and shut off their cell phones, so please know this is not the norm or usual occurance here in our home. Rikki-Lee, thank you again for taking the time to write such a detailed review and I do hope to be able to greet you personally next time we have the pleasure of welcoming you as one of our guests.
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Hollywood
Hollywood
The Hollywood Roosevelt
The Hollywood Roosevelt
#14 of 351 in Los Angeles

Been to Petit Ermitage? Share your experiences!