“Quality Oasis in the Midst of Bustling LA”
Review of Petit Ermitage

Petit Ermitage
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I don't normally write reviews, despite the fact that I read them and take them seriously -free rider syndrome. However, I had to take a few minutes to give the Petit Ermitage Hotel its due credit. LA is a huge county with many cities and neighborhoods. It's easy to feel a bit consumed by such a large environment.

This hotel was perfect, because it made me feel as if I was staying at a friend's house or in my own apartment rather than the anonymous feeling one gets when staying in a sterile big box hotel. The hotel is situated on a very residential street, yet it's just a 5 minute walk to the lively restaurants and bars of West Hollywood. Additionally, assuming you have a rental car, the hotel's location offers easy access to rest of the region -drive 5 minutes east to Hollywood, 5 minutes west to Beverly Hills, 15 minutes west to Westwood/UCLA, 30 minutes west to Santa Monica. You really could not asked to be more perfectly situated for foot and car exploring. Or, if you're looking for a place just to lounge... they've got you covered. The rooftop bar, pool, cabana areas are small but perfect for spending a relaxing afternoon. I enjoyed spending a couple days of my vacation without ever getting into a car. The front desk and rooftop staff were attentive, well trained, had amazing manners, and not to mention easy on the eyes. You simply can't go wrong with a stay here, particularly if you get a good rate. I read some stories of folks spending in excess of $400/night for a stay. I can't quite say that I would be willing to pay that level for this property, but about half of that is completely appropriate and reasonable -depending on the season and demand. If you are person that wants a full service hotel and resort experience, you may be more inclinded to check out the Beverly Hilton, Beverly Hills Hotel, or Four Seasons Beverly Hills. However, if you want a super comfortable place to stay that is close to all of the action, then you are in good hands here.

Room Tip: If you enjoy sunlight, avoid the first floor rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Ann K, General Manager at Petit Ermitage, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear Jonathan,

thank you so much for taking the time and writing such a detailed review, very much appreciated and Iam even happier that you really enjoyed Petit Ermitage and what it is all about. Feeling at home, or a home away from home, relaxing on our Private Rooftop Club and enjoying great customer service, which from the sounds of it you all received. It also sounds like you enjoyed the area and easy access to Santa Monica Blvd. and Sunset Blvd. with all that it has to offer. Our staff here works very hard to provide a well rounded experience such as you've had yourself and I will definitely pass this on to them and we will make sure that each time you are with us, you will receive nothing less. Please let me or anyone on my staff know if there is ever anything you would like us to set up or take care of during your future stays and it will be our pleasure to do so. Hope you had had a great start into 2013 and looking forward to see you this year! Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 3, 2012

My wife and I had a one day visit there. It was very memorable. Colorful, artistic, clean, fresh and very Hollywood. Lots of attention to details. Highly recommend it.

They had an iPod in our room with a fantastic playlist. I recommend they consider selling it.

• Stayed: November 2012
Ann K, General Manager at Petit Ermitage, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2012

Dear JackandJeffa,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a beautiful love note here on Tripadvisor. It is truly appreciated and I am so glad you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us at Petit and our quirky, colorful and artistic style and feel. And yes, isn't the ipod playlist great? One of my favourite things here! Unfortunately we cannot officially sell music, but should and Ipod ever decide to want to be adopted or to be kidnapped, we do apply a randsom charge ;).
Hope to see you again soon and please elt me and my staff know if there is ever anything we can do for you.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Booked a few nights at the end of a 2 week vacation in September to celebrate my wife's birthday in style, big mistake. Poolside staff were sullen and unhelpful and seemed more desperate to foster a superficial air of celebrity-fawning chic than actually caring whether their guests enjoyed their stay. I'll admit that any hotel that reduces my wife to tears on her birthday was never going to get a glowing revue but they just seem unable, unwilling or unconcerned to respond to negative experiences, the in-house "complaint email" address apparently goes unchecked and 2 months later I'm still awaiting a response from Alfred, the Guest Services Manager, who was horrified to learn we hadn't enjoyed our stay when we checked out, made a wonderful show of taking my email address and assured me he would look into the matter and get back to me. Very disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Adam G

Dear Adam G,

I know we have already been in communication and have been able to resolve this but wanted to take a moment to respond on here as well. Again, I am terribly sorry about the experience you and your wife had back with us in the summer and as previously stated completely understand that a bad experience can never be reversed completely and that the planned "perfect Holiday" for your wife was tainted on her birthday. It is certainly not the hotel's standard and all my staff work very hard on making sure things like the above never happen. Thank you so much for posting this on here so I was made aware of it and was able to reach out to you and also for being in communication since then. I assure you this is not the norm and hope that aside from everything we have spoken about so far, that the next time you are in Los Angeles we can show you what Petit Ermitage is truly about and create a new memory for you and Emma at the hotel.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I used to love this hotel but now will *NEVER* stay here again after a horrendous experience I just had. My boyfriend and I were swimming in the rooftop pool -- which I have ALWAYS been told is open 24 hours -- and one of the security guards (named Everett) told us we had to get out of the pool and leave. He said he received a letter from the manager stating that no one is allowed in the pool at night, which I know to be completely false. I have stayed here numerous times and enjoyed swimming in the pool at night. I will be filing complaints with the California Better Business Bureau and Department of Consumer Affairs for the horrible treatment we received. The management needs to better inform staff about non-discrimination policies and treat gay couples with respect. Until that happens, I will NEVER stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here at all!!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Jonathan O
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This boutique lived up to all I had hoped it would - based on reviews I read before booking. The front desk staff was very friendly and accommodating, and treated me with respect. I entertained a few friends while in town and nary an eyebrow was raised. The decor is gorgeous and entertaining (it's both pretty and a little silly, in a good way), and the entire hotel smells wonderful. My only complaint is that I thought the towels were a little rough - I would expect a softer towel at the rates this hotel commands. I would stay here again. I unfortunately did not have time to enjoy the heated salt water pool, but it looked very pretty.

Room Tip: I picked a queen suite and it was all I could desire. Plenty of space to entertain guests on a very...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Dear Meow,

Thank you for writing such a lovely review. We're please to hear you have had such a lovely time at Petit Ermitage and enjoyed our suites, decor, Private Rooftop Club, and most of all our services. Will happily pass this compliment on to my staff, as they all work very hard for it. Thank you also for your feedback on our towels, it is very much appreciated as only feedback like yours lets us grow and make sure we excell at every single one of our guest's expectations.
Hopefully see you again soon. Our heated salt water pool and all of us here at Petit will be waiting and wish you Happy Hoildays.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

This is a small boutique hotel, close to everything, but hidden away. They have the most amazing rooftop patio overlooking LA with a beautiful little pool and fireplace. They even give out these great furry blankets to their guests to use on a cool night. The Laison to Happiness, Josh was excellent! He helped me arrange everything and absolutely helped us be HAPPY! We stayed in a corner suite with a little wrap around balcony. Great for people watching!

Room Tip: Corner suite is the best
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ann K, General Manager at Petit Ermitage, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2012

Dear Martin,

thank for you leaving such beautiful feedback. We're glad you enjoyed our private rooftop club, the location, got cozied up on our firedeck and (from what it sounds like) put our Liaison to Happiness to work. It sounds like you had a wonderful time and really took advatnage of every aspect Petit Ermitage has to offer. Please let us know if my staff or myself can ever do anything for you in the future. Looking forward to hopefully welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for the weekend and had an amazing experience! We almost ahead a disaster when they couldnt find our Priceline reservation. However the manager went above and beyond booking us one night at the redbury hotel king suite for free and sending us away with a bottle of wine. When we returned to the hotel we were given a free breakfast on their charming rooftop. The place has a wonderful European vibe. Our rom was upgraded to a suite and we found another bottle of wine and fresh fruit waiting for us! I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear Ath2s,

please let me apologize for the mixup with your priceline reservation again and thank you for being so understanding and giving us some valuable feedback. I'm glad my team took such great care of you and that you still had a great time on our property and experienced our Private Rooftop club and all amenities that Petit Ermitage has to offer. Please let me know the next time you would like to come back and I will assure you will have an even better (and uninterrupted) stay. Thank you again and I'm looking forward to personally greet you during your next trip.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Hollywood
The Hollywood Roosevelt
#16 of 354 in Los Angeles
Andaz West Hollywood
#4 of 19 in West Hollywood

Been to Petit Ermitage? Share your experiences!