“Very cool and great value”

The Standard, Hollywood
Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Melbourne
“Very cool and great value”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I wasn't expecting much from the reviews I had read here but I was told by a friend that it was a great hotel. We weren't disappointed. It's very cool, very LA and very affordable. Great cocktails by the pool. Rooms aren't spectacular but have everything you need.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
StandardManager, Guest Relations Manager at The Standard, Hollywood, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
CassieCobain,

Sounds like you had a great time with us! We aim to provide friendly service, fun environment, quality product while keeping it affordable. That is why we have become home away from home to so many of our guests and a living room or mobile office to our neighbors. Please come back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Turkish first
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Just came to LA and stayed here with a good friend of mine....located in the heart of the strip, The Standard in Hollywood has so much to offer in addition to its great location. They have a friendly staff, a cafe with great food/drinks, and an eclectic live music scene that happens on Wednesdays, called Desert Nights, which was especially cool...I strongly recommend choosing this as your accommodation when visiting Los Angeles! You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed February 2014
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

We we're on honeymoon and this is not a place to honeymoon! The pool vibe was super gay (which is fine but it surprised me!) the loungers and seats we're very tired and needed updating. The room was large but dated with a huge balcony over looking downtown but no patio furniture?! The air con did not work and it was one million degrees. I felt a little lied to by the website- in reality the rooms we're not 'design' and almost 70's (in a bad way). We we're supposed to stay for 3 nights but checked out after the first night, the room was too hot and I felt like I was staying in Marbella. We checked into the roosevelt and it was amazing! They also upgraded us to a suite for being honeymooners!
You gotta be pretty young to enjoy this place, we felt old at 30. Oh and it would probably be more enjoyable if you were gay too.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
StandardManager, Guest Relations Manager at The Standard, Hollywood, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Amaka1,
We're sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We are located in West Hollywood which is very diverse in its population. The city is known for many fun and creative festivities such as Halloween Festival and one of the best and largest Gay Pride Celebration in the West Coast, therefore, our hotel embraces the diversity and our vibe reflects that. We work hard at ensuring everyone of our guest feels a part of this great city. Our design aesthetic is decidedly minimal – rooms are dotted with Andy Worhal’s poppy print drape, custom design wool blanket by a local artist, and custom bean bag chair. We incorporate art into the design rather than displaying. But we understand that our design philosophy isn’t for everyone. And actually, you should not have felt old while staying with us. You’d be surprise at the age range of our regular guests! We appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts.

Travelers are raving about these West Hollywood hotels

Sydney Australia
Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

I'm just over 30 and I found this place very uncomfortable. Felt like I was sleeping over a relatives house. Didn't feel at home or welcome.

Positives first. It's clean. Here's where the coolest kids hang out. Ppl who stay here have stepped out of a fashion catalogue. The lobby looks like a ikea explosion. Rooms contain a bed, TV, bean bag and an iPod dock. And not much else. Very funky decor. The bathroom has a floor to ceiling mirror to watch yourself shower, poolside there's music and right on site a sexy 24/7 restaurant. Cool kids staff the place- no suits and ties here!! Best mini bar I've ever seen full of amazing goodies from food to CDs to booze to candles and a cactus! Oh and it's in a great location too! If you're a trendy type you'll think this place is cool. It's open 24/7.

Fun....right? Sure. As long as you come for the party and the food then decide to sleep elsewhere!

Negatives: Thin walls. Air con is too hot. You can hear people and music late most nights. From our "quiet" room. No shelves or drawers in the room so had clothing sprawled everywhere. And no kettle or coffee--I was told this was so you spend less time in your room (that you paid for)!! Valet is $34 a day. The bed was comfy but due to noise we couldn't really sleep in it. Was the bean bag to put over our ears to block out the noise??? ;)

For this reason I would advise against staying here. If you want to go to bed at a reasonable hour (like 11pm) you won't get any sleep until the Dj leaves (2am???)

The Standard is like a sky high pair of stiletto heels....really really cute, designed beautifully......great to look at....and you feel good for about an hour in them....but pretty soon you realise it's just not comfortable or practical to stay in them!!!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AeroDDD
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I used to stay at the Standard hotel regularly from 2003-2006. Eventually I had to stop staying there because the wifi was completely unreliable. I had to stay at the hotel again in Feb 2014 and low and behold.....the wifi is still absolutely useless. Not only that, they charge you $15 to get wifi that constantly breaks down. The staff still has the exact same excuse it had 8 years ago.....The hotel should be ashamed of itself....2014 and no reliable wifi. If you need wifi, like pretty much every human being in the entire world who travels, you unfortunately can't stay at this hotel. It's a real shame because otherwise, it's a great place....if you don't mind the paper thin walls, etc.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
StandardManager, Guest Relations Manager at The Standard, Hollywood, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Matt,
I am very sorry for the huge inconvenience during your last visit to our hotel. That was a major issue involving our server which took quite a few days to resolve. My colleagues and our IT were working diligently to get the wi-fi up and running. Although you have left, I am happy to report that we were able to resolve the problem and now our guests can connect to wi-fi seamlessly. Please accept my sincere apologies and contact me directly at hollywood@standardhotel.com if there is anything that I can do to recover from this incident. Thank you for taking the time to give us your honest feedback.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Very, fun with props and people behind glass posing like in their own world, fun. The plenty of room around the pool to get fresh air at night when the club gets too crowed. I suggest you go there for drinks and chit chat with friends find a good table early. It will get overly crowed.

Room Tip: Make sure to book suites three months prior to your arrival during the summer.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I have just returned from spending a week at the Standard- I have stayed here maybe fifteen times now- and the highlight of my stay was the friendliness and attentiveness of the staff. The Standard might not be to everyones taste, friends of mine stayed at the Beverley Hilton and The Standard is the antithises of that type of hotel. But i know which i prefer, within a couple of days at the Standard you begin to feel like you know the staff and they know you. It can get a bit crazy at the weekends around the pool area, but during the week it is perfect to just chill. The only downside is that non hotel guests tend to use the pool, and there no priority given to hotel guests, i saw one guy come in from outside with his Starbucks coffee and take up a sun lounger and spend the morning enjoying the facilities. Also with it being Hollywood there are some people who seem to think we all want to hear their conversations in order to get how important they are, that aside I look forward to my next visit to the Standard.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business