“The rest doesn't matter without the basics”

The Standard, Hollywood
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed September 21, 2013

First, the good news. The location is great, the staff are friendly, and the zip car accessibility is a wonderful convenience. However...

When you have four hangers and no dresser/drawers for your clothes, that is more than a minor problem. When the hallway has the small of something being obviously perfumed over, that's a problem. When your room hasn't been straightened after seven hours (beginning with when housekeeping woke up the person next door because they wanted to clean), you have to wonder. The towels don't absorb water so much as move it around. There is no Kleenex in the bathroom. The $13 cocktails should taste like maybe there is at least a touch of alcohol in them.

I do not need to feel pampered. I do not need to be made to feel special. But I do require the basics to be attended to first, before the beanbag chairs and the trash cans that stand at awkward angles. I am tempted to give The Standard in Hollywood a poor rating, but I get the sense that, from the management's perspective, the worst thing you could do is call them average.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Been at Standard Hollywood for three nights in August, and I really enjoyed my stay there! The hotel from the outside has a ’60 style but when you get into the lobby you’re amazed by its sleek, modern design.
Everyone at the hotel, from the valet to the reception, to the guys at the bar, they were always nice and accommodating.
Location in West Hollywood is great, some amazing spots for the nightlife are just around the corner.

Our room was located on the ground floor, with a sort of private “courtyard” overlooking the pool. If you want to enjoy the views over the city – and want to stay away from the noise coming from the crowd at the pool - you should definitely go for the upper floors rooms. We had no problem sleeping though, I guess because the room was well soundproofed.
The room itself was surprisingly spacious, well designed, clean, with a comfortable king bed and a lovely walk-in shower (water pressure was perfect, and the cork-made mosaics were so cool). Free wifi is also available all over the property.

We had some busy days while in LA and unfortunately didn’t have the chance to enjoy the hotel facilities during the day (e.g. the pool) but we had some good drinks at the pool bar in the evenings. Nice setting even if not too lively when their popular pool parties were over. Talking about pool parties, if you’re not used to this kind of situation maybe you should avoid to stay here as you may be disappointed by all the people around the pool dancing to the loud music and drinking heavily from bottles of Jack and Jager.. LOL! We are in our mid 30s and we knew this before making our reservation at The Standard - we had a lot of fun while there - but I tried to imagine my parents and I wondered what they’d think if they were there, probably it would have been an unpleasant stay for them.. so be aware of that before booking a room!
The Standard is a good place to be, but it’s definitely not for everyone.

3  Thank interpol81
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed here after a night at the Grafton (which was amazing btw). The reason for our stay was their epic pool party which happened this past weekend. Before I go on about the hotel, if you ever get to attend one of their pool parties, just do it. The drinks are ridiculously expensive, but holy cr*p I had an amazing time!

Ok so back to business. We called to the hotel around 1130 to see if our room was ready in which they told us it was. The pool party started at that time, so we were excited as many of our friends were there as well. We came to the hotel around 1230 and the hotel staff looked extremely flustered, as if they weren't expecting it to be this busy. Hello people, you're expecting between 5 and 700 people for this party, this is not a surprise or anything new. I think it was the 3rd or 4th one this year. Anyway, we got there at 1230 and our room was still not ready. So we took a seat. FOR 2.5 HOURS! The room was empty from 1130 might I add, but do you think they thought to put a rush on it for us? Nope, not until about 230 when the employee came and told us so. Not a good first impression. I don't believe there is a staff uniform either, it's sort of "where white or something funky" kind of thing, but employees were dressed really sloppy. It's ok to try and be hip and cool, but you're still in the service industry; there's more to it than just having a funky lobby! Anyway, we finally did get into the room which was huge and comfortable and clean but would I pay $300 + for that again? I don't think so. The staff were nice enough (most of the time), but this being a 3.5 star hotel, I actually expected a bit of a step up in the service department compared to the 3 star Grafton we stayed at the night before. They were even kind of snappy sometimes too, as if we were putting them out. I mean, we paid over $300 per night for this room! We had to ask for towels a couple of times and it took them more than an hour each time. I get that they were over-worked and had limited inventory, but letting us know this instead of just making us wait would have been better. We stayed 2 nights and the next day was definitely better, but even though the hotel was empty, the service was still lacking. No acknowledgement of us at any time we walked in or out of the hotel and 90% of the time the valet was nowhere to be found, either. The staff acted as if they were so over worked. Poor them. Not my problem, I'm the guest. I don't want to hear how I and the rest of your salary paying patrons made your job difficult. Sorry. Other than that, the location was excellent, pool area was good too. All said and done, I would say this hotel is a 3 star that tries to be a hip 4 star, but fails. We went into their Diner (which tries to be a fine dining joint btw) but the prices were ridiculous. I haven't tried the food, so I can't say that it was bad or good, but the prices? I would pay that at the ritz, or another establishment, but a diner? I would totally consider staying here again if the price was right, but for the time being, I'll consider other options when staying in weho.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
StandardManager, Guest Relations Manager at The Standard, Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Hi Mar5hall,

Thank you for your candid feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am sorry we were not able to accommodate your early arrival at 11:30 am. While we do all we can to accommodate our guests early; it can be a bit tricky when our check out time is not until 1pm and check in time starts at 4pm. I think you were referencing the Labor Day Weekend, when we were fully committed the entire weekend due to our pool festivities. Nevertheless, I am glad to hear that our reception staff was able to get you into your room by 2:30pm. In reference to the service issues you have experienced, I have addressed them department managers to ensures the hiccups do not repeat themselves in the future. As for our Diner, I am sorry you did not get to try out our menu. We are very proud of our menu, not only because many items are local favorites but the facts that our ingredients are organic, locally sourced and GMO Free. We are proud to be able to share healthful foods with our guests and neighbor at a reasonable price. Again, thank you for your candid feedback. It is invaluable to us as we continue to look beyond what is easy and expected in order to bring our guests “The Standard Experience”.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I started coming to The Standard as one of their original guests in 1999. Back then they had $99 rooms, a topless girl who read a book in the box behind the check-in desk and a DJ who spun music at the same time. Cut to 2013: I have been coming for 14 years and the hotel is not quite as edgy (the girl wears underwear now, the DJ is usually out by the pool) but just as cool nevertheless. The Standard's calling card is location, destination, and people. The location is perfect - right by the Sunset Strip where rock was made and born, near Chateau Marmont (same owner), across from Saddle Ranch, near some great restaurants and clubs. The destination is that the pool is an open pool most days (people don't know that but here I go spilling the beans) and that means locals come and hang out. But it is cool people, movie industry types, some celebrities, and lots of very interesting guests. One Hollywood director and I met there when he was just hanging out for a few days of R&R in a "stay-cation" but had a great time. They have random film festival parties there, fashion shoots, poetry contests (which I should have won but was robbed). They have a great bar and menu, from which you can order sitting in your pool chair. The view is awesome, like one of those movie views of the Hollywood valley, and you can even use one of those metered viewers to get a closer look down from the hotel. Now, the people. There is a reason why one front desk manager has worked there even longer than I have been coming, and why some of the valet staff and restaurant staff have been there a long time too: they actually like working there. The staff make the hotel great. They are really decent people who have interest in who you are and where you are from. When I go there, I feel like I'm visiting friends. It is crazy, but true. The place has a wild side too - fully stocked minibar, and lots of fun other things a top the minibar you might now find in other hotels. But it is all in good fun. I particularly like the small cactus and giant metallic bean bag they have in every room. I typically come there when it is awards season in the entertainment business, but I've come over the summer too and it's really fun. I even ran into another long-time guest when I was there this time. Everyone knew him by his first name as well, and met some new friends just chilling by the pool. Now, some of the changes haven't been cool, specifically that they won't let you into the adjoining club just because you are a hotel guest, which is kinda lame. They got rid of a spa that was in the hotel, but little-used years ago, and a Warby Parker eyeglass/sunglass store just replaced the Rudy's barbershop that preceded it. I can tell you my female friends loved to go there to get their hair done before a show or event, but that's not a huge deal I don't think. As far as the club, there's lots of other places around to take your business if they are jerks and don't let you into the club which, in fairness, is no longer run by the hotel management. The hotel has lots of interesting rooms, which all look pretty much the same, but are individually unique in how they look if you look close enough. That seems like a contradiction but it isn't; when you stay there you understand. Also, the Internet is free (awesome) and the diner - which celebrities often frequent - is open 24 hours. The food is great there as well. I usually go there for breakfast 90% of the days I stay there. Sleep quality is decent, not perfect. If you are near the club, you will hear the noise. If you are near the pool, go to bed after they shut down the music (around 11pm). If I am on the Sunset side of the hotel, I usually like to stay as far as I can be from the road noise, too, which gets bad when it get busy. But overall, I keep returning. Take it from me, an original guest, it is worth your trip to come to The Standard.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms too close to the club or Sunset if noisy
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank tommooreradio
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Really liked staying here on the first two nights we were in LA, but the last two were only ok.

The pool from Friday-Sunday daytime was pretty much a no go zone as it was heaving with people and was more like a nightclub than a place to swim and sun.

The room was nice and clean, with a big king bed. However as we were there on the Labor Day weekend out last night was horrible. The room next door had a party that meant we couldn't sleep. Twice we had to call the front desk to get security to clear the room and turn the music down, but as hard as they tried, even a "quieter" party is noisy at 4am. It also didn't help that they kept slamming doors hard enough to shake the bed head every 45 minutes... Needless to say our 6.30am alarm to fly out was a tough one.

Overall, a good hotel but if at times you want the refuge of a quiet room this might not be the place for you.

Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights on a flying visit to Hollywood whilst I was in America visiting other places and it was fantastic. I was greeted from my car and my cases were taken straight to reception. I was greeted kindly once again by a lovely gentleman named John. I arrived at around 5pm, an hour after normal check in time so my room was ready no problems there.

I had just come from 8 hours away in my car and I asked if there was any spa's local so I could get a massage and he suggested that they could actually send a masseuse to my room! I took them up on this offer and it was great! Very professional and felt really comfortable.

I had a street facing room on the ground floor with a great sized balcony, I didn't really use this as I was on my own but it's nice and secluded with bushes so nobody can see inside. I was surprised I didn't actually hear much noise apart from the odd motorcycle.

The bathroom was great with a walk in shower and it was a great water pressure perfect for washing hair!

The bed was fantastic, one of the best beds I've slept on in a hotel, with Egyptian cotton sheets too! A nice touch!

Television had all the good channels as well. Big mirror opposite the bed... Working AC which was very powerful! It was about 90 outside so definitely came in handy!

The valet parking was a great service too even when they were busy I was never waiting longer than 5 minutes for my car.

I can't comment on the pool or the bar/restaurant as I didn't use these facilities but the people I saw coming out looked happy!

All around great stay, you do need a car in LA though or taxis will cost you a fortune. Every where has parking in LA just make sure to read the parking signs or you'll end up with a ticket for $23 (I found out the hard way)

The street is also directly next to Hollywood boulevard... The walk of fame!

Reviewed August 28, 2013

So you may think I actually work at the Standard WeHo. Well, I don't, but the way that I am made to feel when I stay here is like I am one of the family. I have stayed at this hotel since 2006 and even when I lived in LA, used to come here on a regular basis to hang out. It's a different kind of hotel to the Mondrian for example, as in you don't have to order pool food from Asia de Cuba at a high price. Instead, the food at the pool or room service all comes from the Diner-style restaurant ( (24/7 BTW). They just have a new menu, which rocks and has everything from turbo-charged late night comfort food to genuinely classy appetisers and entrees with a strong selection of wines and spirits and non-alcoholic bevvies.

Look - would I get my Gma to come stay here? Nope. It's too much fun for her. But if you're lookin for a great hotel to stay in when on business or vacation or a sneaky tagged-on weekend to your business trip where you just broke the next One Direction and want to kick back and look at the blue sky with something on ice, then look no further.

Book it. And if you turn up and don't like something, the Standard Team are more than likely to find a way to fix it or accommodate it unless you are the biggest Diva on the planet. And even then they'll try. Or maybe they will get you a room at Chateau Marmont instead...

Peace Out TripAdvisor Homies. I'm goin to the pool.

Room Tip: Ask for anything not Sunset-facing on floors 2 and 3. You will thank me.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo