“I HEART THE STANDARD, HOLLYWOOD”

The Standard, Hollywood
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed August 1, 2013

The Standard in Hollywood is the absolute best place ever. We love love love it. The second I walk into the lobby I feel happiness. The cool, retro design throughout the hotel makes it hip and fun. The staff and management make it even a cooler place because they treat us so great and provide the best customer service. They remember us from each visit and that means a lot. We love the location smack dab on the Sunset Strip. This means we can walk everywhere and it is so darn convenient...but most of the time we don't even leave because we'd rather be hanging at the hotel. They have the best pool scene, live music, art, a disco, 24 hour diner with yummy food, cactus lounge, great cocktails...need I say more??? It is the perfect mix of everything for us. It is all very affordable to, which means we can come more often. It is seriously the coolest place in LA. The moment we leave; we begin planning our next visit. You have to stay there and then will understand it is way more than a hotel, more like a happening you don't want to miss. Oh, and gotta love the silver bean bags in the rooms!

Room Tip: Some people like the pool view and some like the strip view. Either works for me
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 1, 2013

What a fun place!! The room service is fast and friendly.. I had a third floor pool room, pulled out my bean bag chair on the balcony and people watched and listened to great music! The shower is like standing under a waterfall...A fun, hip restaurant downstairs ,fun lobby and the Cactus Bar rocks!! Very mid century design...

Room Tip: Pool rooms!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 1, 2013

This hotel is quirky and fun with great finishes. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The restaurant had delicious breakfast options - try the frosted flake encrusted french toast! The valets were fast and beautiful. The location is great for Hollywood, West Hollywood, Northern LA - walking distance to a liqueur store and a variety of restaurants. The bed was comfortable and the shower was perfect!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I was very impressed with the service I received from the staff at this jote. When I initially checked in I did not get the room I was expecting, so I called the reception and they changed my room within five minutes. My entire stay was equally as pleasent, the bathroom and shower were certainly big enough, and the quirky decor was definitely pleasing. I found the staff pleasant, and remembered me when I walked through the lobby.

The location of the hotel is fantastic. On the sunset strip, in my opinion there isn't a better place in Hollywood to stay. The restaurants nearby cater to more or less every taste and budget, and you don't have to get a taxi to go out on the strip, which is a must when in Hollywood. The diner attached to the restaurant is definitely worth a visit especially for its American diner vibe, and the fact that it's open 24/7. However, I did find it a bit quiet when I dined in there and I would definitely recommend checking out other restaurants in the area.

I did not get a chance to check out a club this time, however, on previous visits there have been famous guests in attendance, so it is a cool place to people watch if that is what you are into.

Finally the pool area is very cute, and provides a nice view.

I would definitely recommend this hotel, especially as you can get it for the same price as a budget hotel such as Days Inn or Best Western. However, I would not say that this was a family hotel that caters for children, and it is definitely more of a young persons hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed 2 nights solo at end of business trip. As a guest you are treated as a 2nd class citizen. The private functions take over the reception, bar and pool areas with most tables and seats reserved. They want to pander to a young and hip clientele who attend the private functions and do so at the expense of the actual hotel guests. The restaurant offered a limited service due to refurbishment i.e NO COOKED FOOD, only salads & sandwiches. When the awful hipsters had finally left on Monday morning I found that the entire pool area was closed for cleaning! I paid full rate for less than half a hotel in terms of service. Would never stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank gudspirit
StandardManager, Guest Relations Manager at The Standard, Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy our experience with us and would like to extend my apologies. We were working on some much needed upgrades of our kitchen in order to provide our guests with better culinary experience. The pool parties only take place during summer month and draw a large crowd; guests and non-guests are welcomed. We strive to provide our guests with a memorable experience each and every visit. Please feel free to contact me at hollywood@standardhotel.com should you wish to discuss this matter personally. Your feedback is important to us as we strive to grow as a brand. We hope for an opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at The Standard. Simple, but cool fit outs, spacious room and a really nice out door area. All the staff were very friendly and it is very close to some cool hangouts on the Sunset Strip. I will definitely recommend it to any of my friends travelling to Los Angeles as well as booking it for myself again when I come back!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 2, 2013

As a guest at the standard it is clear that the hotels priority is to come across as a 'cool' place to stay. Although it certainly wasn't cool to my taste (on entering the first thing I saw was a women locked in a class cabinet behind reception) i could definitely see that others might enjoy the atmosphere.

The problem with the standards attempts to be cool was that the fundamental criteria of any good hotel was totally neglected- good service. The worst were the receptionists. On arrival a charmless guy refused to let me into my room. The room had been pre payed for but the billing hadn't be sent through to their system so he refused to let me check in with out providing a large cash deposit which I did not have. He was useless and unhelpful in providing a solution or lee way. After 1 hour I managed to get the billing sent through and even then they still tried to take a cash deposit off me (in the end I gave them 100 dollars). I was not shown to the room or even told where it was, just given a key. The receptionists were similarly useless throughout my stay, rarely seeming interested or providing helpful answers to my queries. The restaurant staff were a lot better in comparison, although they were the sort who check that you are okay after every mouthful, which I find very annoying.

Once your past reception, the room and facilities are fine but nothing special enough to make up for the terrible service. Definitely a hotel to avoid.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sam R
StandardManager, Guest Relations Manager at The Standard, Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Hi Sam.

I am terribly sorry to learn of your experience with our property. I know our management team has been in touch with you prior to your departure and resolved the concerns you raise. Should there be anything else the we can do, please feel free to reach out to us at Hollywood@standardhotel.com We would love to be able to convince you that your unfortunate experience with us was truly the anomaly. We hope you will give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves and show you what a great little hotel we are.