“Polite, but extremely poor service.”

The Standard, Hollywood
Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
new york
“Polite, but extremely poor service.”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My brother and I were traveling through california and booked a few nights at The Standard, knowing the quality of the Standard in NYC, I expected the same in Hollywood. However, that was not the case. I had accidentally booked a king room online, and called to change our room to a double queen room instead. After talking with the front desk, they said they would change the reservation and send another confirmation. After several days, the confirmation did not come, and so I called back, talked to the same person, and they said the would resend the confirmation. It came, but still said King. When I called back they assured me that I had been changed to a double room. When we arrived, we got to our room only to find it was, indeed, a king room. When I went to the front desk, they had a record of the phone calls I had made, but the reservation had not been changed, and they did not have any double rooms open until the next night. I asked if they could put a rollaway bed in our room for the night, and they assured us that they would. My brother and I went out and returned several hours later, no rollaway bed. We then went out to dinner, reminding them about the bed on the way out, but when we returned still no bed.

The next morning, I found a better deal at the Andaz down the road and we checked out of the hotel. After explaining the situation upon check out, the manager comped our parking for the night. Everyone I spoke to was polite, and assured us they would fix things, but continually failed to follow through.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank vanillasprinkle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Turkish first
World
Reviewed June 3, 2013

The staff embodied customer service!
The rooms were just big enough, very modern and clean, with sumptuously comfortable beds.
The pool and watermelon juice are just a bonus!
The pool draws a beautiful crowd and the bonus of staying is that you don't have to wait in line when that happens.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Tupelo, Mississippi
Reviewed May 26, 2013

great rooms and lived up to everything i'd seen samantha brown state on the travel channel. There's lots for couples to do here and it's in one of the best locations on the Strip. Close to everything, with great views of LA and of the strip from the balconies.

Room Tip: rooms overlooking the pool also overlook los angeles. Rooms on the opposite side overlook sunset st...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Christopher P
Oceanside, California
Reviewed May 20, 2013

After hearing much about the Standard hotel brand, I took the opportunity to enjoy the Sunset Blvd. location in Hollywierd. I enjoyed the retro style and unique décor of the Hotel. The live model inside the lobby in a life size glass aquarium behind the front desk was very interesting, to say the least. I enjoyed the lobby bar and pool area quite much and decided to forgo the nighttime club which looked fun. The rooms were simple and plain but well designed although fairly small, which was expected. Overall, a good experience. Definitely met my expectations for the room rate paid.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I booked this hotel because I had been to The Standard NY and loved it. Unfortunately the Hollywood one doesn't meet the quality of the NYC one. This is an old hotel with a mediocre renovation. I was glad I had to spend only one night there. Definitely don't recommend it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Paula R
StandardManager, Public Relations Manager at The Standard, Hollywood, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thanks for trying us out. We are happy you love our sister property in NY. The Highline property was built from the ground up and is THE place to stay while on the island of Manhattan. We cater to a slightly different market segment therefore our products and services are customized to fit the segment that is much needed on Sunset Strip. Our rates are lower than that of our sister hotel in NY yet we still offer a fun, innovative and artsy environment to our guests with great service!

Travelers are raving about these West Hollywood hotels

Tunbridge Wells UK
Reviewed May 12, 2013

If you are looking for a box to sleep in, that's furnished in, what I'm sure someone has told them is über trendy 60's esque tat for decor, then look no further this is your dream location. The place has zero charisma or charm. The dark corridors are lit like a car park with blue neon strip lights, the lifts echo the style with orange rubber flooring, and the bedroom ceilings are rough and unfinished like a cell block. The room had one chair, no bin in the bathroom, no safe, no kettle/coffee machine, a fridge that looked like it may have seen the 70's, a fan with a "hilarious" "hard", "harder" or "stop" setting, and a shower that flooded the toilet floor when used. The wardrobe was a rail behind a shower curtain! very classy. Reminded me of student halls. There was a silver bean bag though which obviously made up for all it was lacking....
When we arrived the resident dj (who operates from a corner of the reception desk) was so loud we could barely hear a word the receptionist was saying. Still unsure if breakfast is included in the room rate! Traveller tip. If you want to try and sleep, ask for a room away from the pool.
The pool was teaming with 20 something try hards- far too intimidating for anyone over the age of 25 to venture. Unless you enjoy being stared at. Very uncomfortable.

You would also need a car to stay here. There is nothing within walking distance.

Probably really cool if you're 18-20. If not dont even consider this place. More basic than a travel lodge!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank kewarburton
StandardManager, Guest Relations Manager at The Standard, Hollywood, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Kewarburton,
Sorry our design aesthetics does not fit yours. The intent of our designs is to provoke a sense of familiarity by combining the recognizable elements from a few decades of the last century. Examine closely, one would notice many elements from the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s. We realize our décor isn’t for everyone and that’s part of the appeal of a design hotel. The lighting in our corridors and public spaces are demure to create and sense of arrival and calm. We are proud of the fact that we were one of the first hotels to feature resident DJ’s in our lobby. Sure! He/she can sometimes be a bit overly enthused, but our carefully selected music does inject life into our lobby and pool deck. Lastly, our bathroom floor and wall are covered with mosaic made of natural corks, another design element we are excited about. We are bummed you did not enjoy your stay with us nonetheless, we appreciate you gaveing us a try and that you took the time to provide your feedback.
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Wonderful upgraded gigantic suite- patio, views, all the amenities with a modern minimal style. It was so quick and easy to go out to a sunset strip concert and be back to play ping pong and have drinks. I wished there were baths or hot tubs, but the pool deck in the morning was splendid Hollywood happening. I love the cafe menu and the evening music. The parking fee is a bit much, but they are full service a quick. Same goes for getting a cab. Would love to stay longer!

• Stayed March 2013