“Hip, fun & central”

The Standard, Hollywood
Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Standard is a three-story hotel on Sunset Blvd. in West Hollywood just west of Laurel Canyon and the Chateau Marmont. The look is midcentury-modern-converted-motel with a hip, minimalist design vibe. Most rooms have great views of LA. Even the north side rooms have somewhat cool views of Sunset with its billboards, the vegetarian restaurant featured in Annie Hall, and Carney's, the hot dog place that looks like a train car. The design and the location give the Standard a sense of place, a sense of the LA tradition in design from the 60s to today, the music venues on the Strip, the nearby modern art galleries -- it feels all of a piece.

The Standard is fun and lively, with lots of people dining outside by the pool on warm evenings. A lot of the guests seem to be youngish Europeans with some involvement in the entertainment industry so the vibe is kind of like a modernist, cheaper Chateau Marmont. There is stuff going on -- there is a ping pong table by the pool which is frequently used, there is a DJ in the lobby most nights, there is a model lounging in the aquarium, and there are live musical performances on Wednesday nights. It kind of feels like a nightclub that grew up to be a hotel. If you're determined to be early-to-bed-early-to-rise this may all be irrelevant and distracting, but it's not boring.

The rooms have well stocked minibars and the dinerish restaurant 24/7 is really quite serviceable (and is in fact open 24/7). They also have prompt, good room service. If needed, they do actually have a meeting room that you can rent if you want to have meetings in the hotel bot not at the pool.

It is reasonably easy to get to Beverly HiIls, Hollywood or the Valley -- so it's perfect for most entertainment business itineraries.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west edge (facing west) are not the best if you wan to sleep late because there is a do...
There are newer reviews for The Standard, Hollywood

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Enjoyed a recent 2-night stay. I was just passing through LA and not really primed for the West Hollywood scene, but I enjoyed the people-watching in the lounge and pool deck area -- I found it to be a very fun ambience -- not attitudinal or pretentious, contrary to the impressions of some other reviewers. They play a fabulous, well-selected mix of music all day long. Staff very friendly and responsive.
Special kudos to the restaurant. It's open 24/7 and is a stylishly updated take on the old-style hotel coffee shop concept. The menu is maybe a bit limited but very well-balanced and all the dishes were perfectly prepared and satisfying. I ate three meals there in two days.
Would happily stay at The Standard again.

Room Tip: I opted for an Xtra Large class of room and would not necessarily do so again. The extra space was...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
StandardManager, Front Office Manager at The Standard, Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

dctraveler175,

We are so happy to hear that you like us! You review sums up what our property is all about; the music, the people, the environment, the food & drinks and most importantly… the service. Our Food & Beverage team spends a great deal of time creating the menu that is well-balanced, healthy and true to its concept. Additionally, our Culture & Nightlife team presents great programming such as our Desert Nights on Wednesdays. Our Medium room type is one of my favorites because it is spacious yet cozy. It offers the same view as our X-Large at a very reasonable rate. Give it a try! We hope to see you again soon when you are back in our great city.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

The Hotel Standard in West Hollywood is my favorite hotel in the world. Let me put that in perspective. I have stayed at the Hotel Des Paris Monaco, most Four Seasons, most Ritz Carltons and they are indeed great. But the Standard is much more fun. I've stayed there since it opened. It is hip but I'm not hip yet it is a totally comfortable experience. Fastest room service ever and a great room service menu. I send many colleagues there. Best pool in LA.

Room Tip: Top floor facing pool
1  Thank walter s
Reviewed January 13, 2013

My first stay at The Standard and I loved it! Room is modern and minimal but practical. Very reasonable rate and lovely service. Hotel Can be a bit noisy at night but I think it is normal being right on Sunset Strip. Lobby and pool deck are good places to people watch. The folks at the front desk are always helpful. The hotel is walking distance to many shops and restaurants. Their check out time is 1 pm; that's unheard of. It's just a fun little hotel.! I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 11, 2013

My first stay here and did not know what to expect. The staff here are really friendly and the room I had has a great view of the city. Breakfast in the diner was fantastic. The building is old but cool design elements. Centrally located in the middle of Sunset Strip. Valet parking expensive but fast and friendly. The acoustic night was actually really good I would stay here agains. The Standard isn't a typical hotel but it's sure is my kind of hotel.. Will go back again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
StandardManager, Front Office Manager at The Standard, Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Hi Will,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with others. We are glad to hear that our staff looked after you well during your visit. Our design team works tirelessly in crafting the right look and feel to create a sense of familiarity yet modern & innovative. Our diner is a local favorite for breakfast. Not sure what you had for breakfast but our Eggsadilla is a must try! I am sorry you find our valet price on the expensive side but we research the neighborhood to make sure that our valet parking price is comparable to those of our neighbors. AND great to hear that our valet team is fast and friendly. The Standard family can’t wait to welcome you back.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I have stayed here a few times, and it is a great location, with nice clean rooms... Especially for the price! Stayed right before the holidays, and received great service from the front desk, and the concierge had some good restaurant suggestions!

Usually one of my top 3 when I stay in west Hollywood!

• Stayed: December 2012
StandardManager, Manager at The Standard, Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Hello Snowflake981,

Thank you for your kind words and we couldn't be happier to see you had another great stay with us. Our staff and service are what make this hotel unique and I'm glad know we were able to take care of you. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed January 7, 2013

The Standard is my FAVORITE hotel on the Sunset Strip. The staff is incredibly attentive, very knowledgeable of the local area, and in general, just fun! You can really tell they love their jobs, and it makes all the difference. We were upgraded to a room with a wrap-around balcony, offering stunning views of LA. Really made for a romantic evening. Love the iPod player in the room and all the small touches - it's a sassy hotel that's for sure! The pool deck is a great way to unwind (or start your evening off right!). And the restaurant? Amazing food! All in all, great things to say. Very affordable and very awesome!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Rachel,

We are so excited that you enjoyed your stay with us! We are very fortunate to have the team of staff that we do. The design aesthetics and the various programming we curate for our guests are important part of the experience we provide to our guests but our primary focus is our SERVICE.. We can't wait to see you again soon.