“Exactly what you hope for...”

The Standard, Hollywood
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stay in West Hollywood pretty regularly, but fancied a new hotel this time round. Having spent a little time at The Standard Downtown, I decided to book The Standard West Hollywood.
Basically, it's just like the title says - this is what you probably want from a hotel in West Hollywood.
There are a few reviews talking about it being too young, a little contrived and try-hard hip (with the live model in the glass tank over reception) but seriously, it's Hollywood. What did you expect...?

So here goes - the rooms are excellent, big, light, nicely decorated (if fairly plain) and clean. Good bathroom, comfortable bed and a great mini-bar selection (you can't go wrong with a hotel that has half-bottles of Patron and Maker's Mark in the room). The service was good, just the right amount of friendly but not over the top, and the pool and bar area are extremely nice, with good views across the city and decent poolside drinks.
If you want to be in this part of Hollywood (Sunset area, right by House of Blues) and want all of the things that entails (including model-looking valet parking attendants wearing 'Standard' mechanic shirts) this is pretty much ideal.

It seems like The Standard's hotels are all of a type (which is probably a good thing) - so expect ever so slightly self-conciously 'hip' things (like orange bathroom fittings and staff dressed in white linen) but provided you're not looking for old-school 'luxury', it shouldn't disappoint. Yes, the crowd is youngish, yes they play music round the pool until late, yes it's a bit of a party hotel but yes, it's also a pretty cool, fun place to stay. Honestly, I like a hotel where the reception staff smile and compliment your scarf when you're blatantly returning from a night out at 9am.
If you don't want a young/hip/loudish/party hotel, maybe you should stay somewhere other than this part of West Hollywood. On the other hand, if you do, stay at The Standard.

Room Tip: Sunset rooms (front of the hotel, and the cheapest) are away from the pool so if you want to recover...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank plusfour
StandardManager, Manager at The Standard, Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Hello plusfour,

We couldn't be happier to hear you had a good time with us. Thank you so much for the candid feedback and we can't wait to see you again next time you are in Los Angeles.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

This place needs a re-do and in a hurry. I doubt much has been done since it opened with much fanfare years ago. I only hope they do not let the NYC sister property go in this direction. Pleasant front desk (contrived live model in fish tank gan go anytime). Hallways dreary and strewn with discarded (and looked to be dated) room service trays and cocktail glasses at many doors. Pretty good bed, just OK bath, decor is non-descript and not comfortable. Bar area has terrible seating with a wall of cigarette smoke wafting in from the open patio. While I realize this is not meant to be an over-the-top experience (especially at $300), there are dozens of better destinations in West Hollywood/Beverly Hills. It is truly a motel for young hipsters.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
StandardManager, Manager at The Standard, Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Hello westvillagetraveler,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your recent experience at our property. I'm sorry to see our facilities fell short of your expectations during your time with us. The opinions of our guest are extremely important to us so please know we make every effort to maintain all areas of the hotel and ensure we present a clean, comfortable and inviting space for everyone. I’m pleased to inform you, in the months ahead we have a variety of projects planned for our public areas as well as our guest rooms. Thank you again for your review and I do hope you will come back again to check out the changes we make!

Reviewed October 6, 2012

This was a last minute booking. This hotel definitely needs to be renovated. If you are over 30 you may want to choose another hotel. Extremely young crowd and if you are not into techno music make sure you don't get a room on the pool side. The weekend pool parties can be a little crazy. The 24 hour diner was plus. Not a place to stay with children.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Don't believe the hype, the Standard has seen better days. The front desk and concierge staff were pleasant and friendly enough, but even though we had a room right at the front and the far end of the motel, we were still kept awake by the music around the pool area all night long.

The rooms were clean, but the lobby and pool area looked really shabby and tired.

On the plus side, the walk-in shower and bathroom amenities were the best we had on our trip!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I will preface these comments by saying I am not going to go into crazy detail because I simply do not want to waste anymore time on this experience.
Admittedly we arrived late at 12:30 a.m. which make it tougher when you are tired..... however the check in was an absolute nightmare. The clerk had zero personality and stared at the computer screen without comment. After 20 minutes we went to the rooms she directed us to only to find they were not as promised (wrong sizes). This happened two more times and she causally mentioned that they are all listed incorrectly in the computer?! Once we finally got into the 2 correctly size rooms, they did not have the rollaway bed we had requested. This turned into an hour of phone calls and nonsense.... Meantime other people in my group went to the hotel resturant and recieved rude and extremely slow service - 1 hour to get 4 milk shakes? There was a loud humming noise in our room all night.... They service is horrible and in the end it is the location that ensures people will continue to book.
The concept is cute, great showers

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank AAASanDiego
StandardManager, Manager at The Standard, Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Hello AAASanDiego,

Thank you so much for providing us with feedback from your recent stay at our property. I can see from your comments the experience was underwhelming from the start and for that I do apologize. I have shared your posting with my operations team here and can assure you we will use it as a tool to improve our level of service moving forward. I'm happy to hear you were able to enjoy our new showers but I am truly sorry for our shortcomings. I hope you will give us another chance to win you over in the future and thank you again for taking the time to let us know how we are doing.

Best Regards,

Reviewed September 16, 2012

A hotel that I would recommend to anyone who wants a hotel in a great location for a fun week in LA. It's very cool, fashion crowd hangout,fun bar and pool. The diner has a great breakfast and lunch and overlooks Sunset Blvd so a great view.

Somewhere great to stay with friends if you want to have a fun few days/week away.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Thank WestLondon Brac... L
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I will preface this review by saying that after my first (which would be the last) stay at the Standard in West Hollywood ... I would never stay here again. However, I had some friends who were staying in West Hollywood that insisted on staying at the Standard against my advice. We were going out as a group and meeting in their room, so I feel I want to update my past review ... although nothing has changed in terms of the quality. It was clear based on my few hours in the Standard this time that it is still the same old overhyped dump.

First of all, this place has a very good PR team which is why this is known as one of the 'hip' hotels in West Hollywood. If not for this PR team, this hotel would lose all its business to the Andaz or Le Petit Armitage which are ACTUAL mover and shaker spots vs. poser places featured in articles in Maxim magazine. You'll get that 50's retro Ikea vibe ... typical 'I'm an actor man' attitude from staff ... and quirky little things like a DJ in the lobby and giant photos of deserts on the wall, shag carpets and 70s style furniture.

I was amazed to see that almost 3 months after staying there, the carpets and hallways are STILL under construction. And once again, the hotel books guests on the wings where construction is being done so someone is likely to have to walk through paint smelling hallways, over clear plastic taped onto the carpet looking at ladders and construction stuff. I have never seen a hotel that keeps a hallway open through construction in that hallway ... for months.

Also, unlike a lot of hotels in this price range who go out of their way to keep everything clean ... you will notice hoses and buckets and rakes and mops left out within plain sight of guests in the lobby bathrooms, outside the hotel at the main entrance, etc. Any other hotel would make sure these were hidden ... even my neighbors get cranky when I leave rakes, hoses, etc. strewn about my front lawn. You wouldn't expect a hotel to do this.

I was once again not impressed by the fact that the hotel does not have air conditioning that can be controlled from the rooms, which meant the room was uncomfortably warm. Just for a laugh, I called the front desk and pretended to be surprised by this and they gave me the same answer they did the last time I stayed there, 'If you are warm, you can always open the door to the balcony.'

Once again, it was interesting to see the entrance to the club, Smoke and Mirrors, that the hotel supposedly isn't affliliated with next to the guest elevators. Complete with a 'host' holding a clipboard and fedora telling any guest who asked about the club smarmily that 'you need to be on the list'. No hotel guests are welcome at this club, unless you know someone who can get you in. (the hotel cannot)

After 2 nights, my friends came to the same conclusion I did ... this hotel was a lame poser hotel ... low on accomodations, incredibly noisy even though there was no real party scene here. Why the DJ has to blast music all night to 2 people when most times the lobby and pool area is completely empty during the week is beyond me. There is quite a social scene here on the weekend (people who come to drink, not who stay at the hotel) but during the week its totally empty.

If you have $200 to spend in West Hollywood on a place to stay, I'd put in $30 - $40 and stay literally across the street at the Andaz which used to have actual history as the place every rock band would stay while they were in Hollywood. Or Le Petit Ermatage, which is down the street a bit and is somewhere you might actually see a celebrity or an industry player. Tourists go to the Standard to stay. Industry players go to the Marmont or Le Petit. Most people who stay here from the midwest love going home to tell people about how they stayed at 'Hollywood's hippest' when they stay at the Standard. But this is more of a quirky overpriced dump than a hip hangout.

The best part about it is that you can walk to Pink's Tacos or The Bar Marmont for a few drinks to escape the lame scene at the Standard.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are music loud. Street view rooms are traffic loud. Dont expect quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends