“An Aesthetic Experience”

The Standard, Hollywood
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed August 13, 2012

For me personally the standard meets all my requirements and some. It's centrally located, within walking distance of most things I'm in Hollywood for and with a bus stop out the front its not hard to get anywhere. Even in the room facing sunset strip I didn't have any trouble sleeping and the balcony is a nice touch so rarely seen in hotel rooms these days.
The pool and lobby are fantastic and it's the kind of hotel where you could easily just hang out in. My room was clean, the bed was very comfortable and I wouldnt hesitate staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Kylie S

Reviewed August 7, 2012

I stayed 2 nights at the Standard on the Sunset Strip (a Friday and Satyrday). I found the location to be excellent. Alot of the entertainment was within walking distance especially the House of Blues, Red Rock, The Rainbow, Voodoo Lounge, a Hustler Adult store (good for laughs) and many other fine clubs and restaurants. The Hotel and a nice restaurant with lounge, and a very nice pool with a band. Overall, very nice. The room and Hotel were a very modern chic artsy studio in design.

Room Tip: My room was right overlooking the pool with a little deck on the 2nd floor. Very cool!!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I have stayed at The Standard in downtown LA and really liked it. When I found out I would be staying here for a work event, I was really excited. Unfortunately, this location is not on the same level. We walked into the lobby at about 4 and while it looked like a fun place to hang out, I immediately felt really overdressed in my capris and tank top because I was surrounded by young girls in tiny bikinis and couldn't hear over the house music. It was a weekend afternoon, so that must be the thing in West Hollywood. My room seemed fine, it was large and had a patio, but it was already really stuffy. They had closed the curtains completely to keep it cool, but that just made it smell kind of musty. I took off my shoes and walked into the bathroom and my feet stuck to the floor. Gross! The entire bathroom felt really dirty and outdated. I tried to take a shower before getting ready for the party and the shower didn't drain, which grossed me out even more. The orange vanity must be really hard to keep clean because it had stains all over it. The bathroom felt like it hadn't been cleaned in a long time and ruined it for me. I will say that the bed was very comfortable and that, along with the awesome honey lotion, was the highlight. By evening the pool area seemed comfortable and things had gotten a little quieter. The service all over the hotel was pretty good. If they actually updated this hotel to bring it up to par with the other location it would be pretty nice (even if it isn't my kind of scene). But I won't be staying here again until they actually remodel and fix their cleaning issues.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Despite a bed sheet not covering the whole bed... ! (housekeeping manager where at you???), the style was great. Pool area and bar are awesome. Nice hotel, nice feeling, great situation. Thanks to the valet parking. Very original style of bathroom. Minibar with plenty of choice, but why a Vodka bootle at 150usd ???
Frontdesk is à must se during night!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Worst hotel ever. Came here for business on a Monday and Tuesday night. Bass was blaring until 2:30am, service was rude, the place smelled awful, there were unmentionable body hairs all over my room, wi-fi did not work... all in all a horrible experience. People come here for the pool scene which is fine if you're sponsored by Ed Hardy, otherwise you're much better off finding somewhere else. Even a Best Western.

Room Tip: Find a different place.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Luke B
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Had a nice big room, had to move after a couple of days due to large bugs in the room, new room was much smaller and the bathroom was dated. Reception/bar area was very noisy at night, quite hard to get a lounger by the pool. The hotel is in very good position for local bars. Overall stay was just ok

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Our first night at The Standard in Hollywood we were given a room on the ground floor right next to the pool with the music playing loudly. Getting to sleep was difficult. This was not a good start.

We asked to be moved to a quieter room and were moved the next day. Since we checked in late this was handled as well as can be expected.

The room was marked as non-smoking. However, every morning we were woken up to the smell of smoke in our room. Either seeping through the cracks of the sliding door or directly from the ventilation system. In fact, the entire property always had the slight smell of smoke. Especially the pool area.

Our room (medium size, I believe) had exactly one drawer for storage. Our clothes and other items are strewn about the counter because there is no other place to put them. It makes the room feel unwelcoming and small. In fact, everything is minimalist in the room. Even tissues are not provided.

While I love the shower heads the drainage is inadequate. In both rooms the open shower didn't drain quickly enough and water would spill out making the area around the toilet soggy and wet.

Finally, there are the paper-thin walls between rooms. At 8am in the morning I was listening to a phone call in the adjoining room. Quite clearly.

I understand that I might not suit the demographic of the hotel. Perhaps being in my 30s I am just too old. I feel like I am immersed in a property that values style over substance. This hotel may be chic, but I feel tired, uncomfortable, and unwelcome.

This is the first time I have stayed in The Standard hotel. I can never see myself willingly staying in one of these properties again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple