“We Adored the Chamberlain!!”

Chamberlain West Hollywood
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Champaign, IL
“We Adored the Chamberlain!!”
Reviewed August 29, 2005

My daughter & I stayed for a week & we both loved the hotel.
The location was terrific.
Staff was attentive & caring.
Decor very hip.
The bed was yummy.
The pool is gorgeous.
I recommend you rent a convertible to make your stay easier & more enjoyable. We did all the touristy things but one of the things we enjoyed most was driving in the California sunshine & viewing the beautiful scenery.

4 Thank jwlryjb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Korean first
Reviewed August 28, 2005

My wife and I spent a Saturday night at the Chamberlain this weekend. First I had trouble with their online reservation system, so I called to confirm. Upon arrival they didn't have us in their system, but they upgraded us to a larger room in return. Yes, the lobby and the hallways are kind of dark, but nothing worth complaining about.

Now the important part: Our room was VERY nice!!! Beautiful stylish interior design, very pleasant fresh smell, nice even though quite small bathroom. Everything was very clean. The room was newly renovated. The bed was very comfortable, I'd say even better than the great beds at W Hotels.
The pool is awesome even if the view isn't quite as spectacular as I expected after reading other reviews. Room service will bring food to the pool - we had our morning coffee up there (best coffee I've had in a long time by the way).
The restaurant menu is quite limited but the dinner food was excellent, their breakfast menu looked very appealing as well.

I can highly recommend this hotel, I'd stay there again anytime!

PS: The hotel was hard to find due to lack of a proper sign. So make sure to print out those directions...

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 22, 2005

The Hotel has been renovated, but on the cheap. It is very dark. We went to the Pool to have a cocktail and enjoy the Sunset. Told by the staff they cannot serve drinks up there! What is that about, why have a liquor license? Location is good, staff OK, not very friendly. The rooms are cold with no personality. There are better places for the money.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 21, 2005

I stayed at the Chamberlain for 3 nights with my husband and kids. I'd never been to West Hollywood, ( or any part of California). The hotel was higher class than I'm used to, but I really liked it. The location is great, we walked on Sunset, Santa Monica Blvd., Melrose and other areas close by and always felt safe. It's a great place to see other areas of Los Angeles from. Not far from Grauman's and other sights. The place was very clean and the staff was nice. I would stay there again.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 16, 2005

My wife and I booked a room at the Chamberlain some time ago and she began to get nervous of our stay based on some reviews she read on Trip advisor. Our trip took us through California and LA was one of four stops. When we checked in we couldn't believe it..and more importantly she learned a lesson: don't believe the hype.

The place was modern, clean, spacious and super-efficient. Our room was a regular studio room but considered a suites in some hotels. In addition, the area was quiet and safe...I'm from a city in Canada with one of the lowest crime rates in North America and I felt more comfortable in this area than some parts of my city. Maybe I was being naive..whatever the case may be..I never felt threatened.

The furniture/decor and room was all very modern and new. The hotel staff was not only efficient but very helpful. The rooftop pool is a must see at nightfall was is a perfect place to have a drink and see one of the best views of LA at night...all with a giant sofas or chairs to lay back in.

I reminded my wife that it is the individual who had a bad stay because of either renovations, some distinct isolated problem, etc. who will write a review..it is rarely the hundreds who are happy with the service that will go out of their way to applaud the establishment. Well in all fairness I think the Chamberlain deserves a hand .. I would definetely stay again.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Southern California
Reviewed August 12, 2005

We used to stay here when this was the Wyndam Summerfiled suites, it was nothing to write home about back then but at least it was reasonable and the staff was friendly. Now that they did some renovation (which in my opionion is not enough), they are charging higher prices. We paid $295 for a one bedroom suite for one night. It used to be under $200. In addition, they only have valet parking now which would have been fine if they had the staff to handle it which they did'nt when we were checking in. Everyone that works here seem unhappy and don't smile much. The lady that came to make our bed was plain grouchy.
They are trying so hard to be a upscale trendy hotel but I just think there are other places that do it better in Weho. Eg. the Montrose suite on Hammond was very nice when we stayed there and a little less money. We probably won't be back unless they switch their pricing or get rid of the clueless management. And what's with the horribly depressing greyish blue color...

2 Thank glo1818
charlotte
Reviewed August 12, 2005

My wife and I took our 14 and 10 year old to Hollywood. We planned to stay for 3 nights, but checked out after one. While there was nothing necessarily wrong, we decided it was not the right place for us.

This appears to be a residential building that was converted into a hotel. The rooms are more like suites, and are large and very nice. The beds and linens are extremely comfortable. The problem was that our rooms closely faced another apartment building, with trees in between, making it extremely dark in the daytime. I don't know if all the rooms are this way. The lobby itself was also dark. My fellow guests mostly were young, artsy, hip, etc. What I think I'm saying is that it is not a great place for families, and we moved to a more conventional place on Hollywood BL.

There is a Trader Joe's supermarket a block away, on Santa Monica BL. There appeared to be plenty of cafes and restaurants in the area.

6 Thank SteveBazakas