“Great Boutique Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
Houston, Texas
“Great Boutique Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Boutique hotel in West Hollywood with tons of charm. After reading through some of the negative reviews, I just think it's important to remember that you're staying at a boutique hotel. There are not 25 floors of rooms, so you probably won't have a major view out of your window. Because of the size, there is less staff. . . but they are completely attentive to your needs.

The rooms are spacious and well appointed with fun and modern furnishings. The bathrooms are a tad on the small size, with a shower only. Each room has a fireplace, which is a nice touch.

The restaurant/bar is great. We really enjoyed every meal we had and the wait staff was incredibly nice and engaging. I was pleasantly surprised with this based on the size of the hotel.

Small but completely adequate business center.

Negatives:
The size of the lobby is slightly deceiving because of the mirrors so it looks quite larger in pictures. It is rather small.
Window Unit AC... but it's not much louder than most other hotel AC units.

Room Tip: There are interior view and street view rooms. If one is more important to you, make sure you call t...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank TXPhotographer
mhaut, General Manager at Chamberlain West Hollywood, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear TXPhotographer,

Thank you for staying with the Chamberlain West Hollywood during your travels to Los Angeles!

I do appreciate your understanding of our boutique property as it is only 4 floors so the best view would be from our amazing rooftop pool!

We do have a few of our rooms that have bath tubs so it is always an option to request one upon making a reservation - of course they are based upon availability but we do always try our best to accommodate our guest's needs!

Again, thank you for choosing the Chamberlain West Hollywood! We look forward to being able to welcome you back in the future!

Chad Thompson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Korean first
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Nice Quiet Location, Clean Spacious Rooms. The bathroom was pretty small, getting out of the Shower was a challenge but not really a big deal. The gym was pretty good. The Pool had an amazing view but we never had a chance to sit out there as it was always full. The Valet parking was a bit pricey. $35 a night and we were there for 7 nights. Would have been great if they had a deal where if you stay a certain number of nights the parking was discounted. The valet guys were great and punctual. The staff was really helpful. Would stay here again if there was a deal with the parking.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear CCMel822,

Thank you for choosing the Chamberlain West Hollywood! I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay overall. Our parking is comparable to the hotels within our area. We do typically have specials that either discount or include parking in the rate so if those happen to be available they are a steal! The next time you would travel out this way please do not hesitate to contact me directly!

Portland, Oregon, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Location is good but room noise is ridiculous. When was the last time you stayed at an upper level hotel and had an in-window air conditioner? Those things are noisy as hell, don't really ever cool off the room, and make it really hard to sleep. Cracked tile that moved around in the entryway, chipped paint, and slightly dirty carpet. I would NOT recommend this hotel to my friends. I stayed in the basic "deluxe suite", so maybe you need to spend more to get more, but $250 a night should get you a nice room. Any marriott level of hotel blows this place away.

Room Tip: Hopefully get an outside room. My window looked into the restaurant. It was a pit!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank John G
Dear John G,

I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with your accommodations and that the room you stayed in was not to your complete satisfaction. We take all reviews seriously and take each item into account in order to better the property and our guest's experience. With that being said, I want you to feel assured that our preventive maintenance team has addressed the room defects mentioned in your review. If you could offer me a second chance to earn your business I would appreciate if you could contact me at the hotel directly. We pride ourselves on our service and product and I want every customer to be happy and satisfied.

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

This was our first time to America, LA and Hollywood travelling from Sydney, Australia so as you can imagine we were filled with excitement. After writing to the hotel 3 times notifying them of this we thought the message was across to look after us...

When checking in, I had to help the receptionist enter our credit card details into the system as I work in a hotel myself, which is fine everyone has to start off somewhere. After explaining it's our first time and we are (dare I say it..) tourists, I asked was there any kind of special amenities in the room or something nice we could look forward to. The receptionist replied with "umm, you can have an apple if you want" pointing to a display bowl of fruit in the lobby. Speechless...

Original booking was for 2, but changed to 3 within a day or two. Months before the actual reservation. So when we arrive in our room, IF YOU CAN GET PAST THE BABY NAPPY POO SMELL IN THE HALLWAYS, it was great and the view was nice but alas; the bell boy who was also a receptionist, concierge, room attendant and restaurant server told us it was only meant for 2. We moved to the new room which had horrific views (see attached picture...), a lumpy second bed with springs that could give anyone a serious back condition but was large in size and decorated fabulous. During the stay, housekeeping only made the beds when cleaning the room- never cleared used plates and cutlery or disposed of rubbish. And it was so difficult to sleep with a large, noisy machine going all night. It can't have been for air-conditioning because each room had it's own unit so I have no idea what it was for.

I work in a 5 star hotel so maybe I'm being too picky, but aren't all hotels striving to be better? I want to give a better 'service' score because that male receptionist/everything else really tried and was really nice but I just keep thinking back to the receptionist that checked us in.

Eh, we had a terrific time in LA and will definitely be back, just not to this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't settle for an in-building facing view or a room on a lower floor with that noisy machine r...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mittch4
Dear Mittch4,

I am sorry to hear that our accommodations were not to your satisfaction, I want you to know that I take all comments seriously and that I personally address any guest concerns mentioned on reviews. I respect your comments and want you to know that we pride ourselves on our product and service. We are always working hard to improve our hotel each year and want to make a difference that will impact our guest's overall satisfaction. If you could give us a second chance to show you what we are truly capable of, I would greatly appreciate the opportunity. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel so that we may further discuss some of the items mentioned in your review.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Couldn't prove 4+ stars, not more than 3.
Quite location of the hotel is true, but it doesn’t mean that it will be quiet in your room.
I've booked Double executive-suite which was faced to concrete wall and equipped with quite noisy window air conditioner. Bathroom fan was very noisy too.
All furniture and equipment are seems to be good some time ago, but not now.
All linens are clean and enjoyable.
Wi-Fi is free, but for one device only, another laptop (smartphone) inet access should be paid additionally.

Room Tip: Ask for street facing room
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AlexanderGB
mhaut, General Manager at Chamberlain West Hollywood, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear Alexander GB,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at the Chamberlain West Hollywood.

The Chamberlain West Hollywood is located in a residential neighborhood which is considered an attribute of the hotel by many guests. I do apologize that the room you reserved did not have the view you had anticipated but we are always more than happy to switch our guests to other rooms to ensure they are happy with their accommodations.

Please feel free to contact me directly to reserve your next stay with the Chamberlain West Hollywood and I'll be sure you receive a street facing room.

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Funky boutique hotel situated between Santa Monica Bld and Sunset Bld. Room was nice (bathroom a bit small), rooftop pool was fantastic which has views of city skyline. Restaurant was great, especially the breakfasts. Very friendly staff who went out of their way to assist when needed (e.g. directions to airport), Overall, great hotel and I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank adswein
Dear adswein,

Thank you for your review! I will be sure to pass along your great remarks about the staff!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Chamberlain West Hollywood in the future!

NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I guess you don't have to work as hard to please when you are located in West Hollywood! Woot. Who needs to have breakfast start before 6:45am when it's in West Hollywood! Why not keep you waiting at check-in after a 6.5 hour flight? It's West Hollywood!!!! Who needs a good computer system to locate your reservation? It's you got the picture.

Apart from the location, which is adorable this is the worst hotel for business travel. It seems to have four stars, but with the lax, flabby service I would give it a gilded 3.5 stars. You cannot expect to get to work on time. Does anyone work at the front desk??? You are on the Chamberlain's schedule as soon as you enter their doors. Expect to receive the worst of all the trappings of a boutique hotel: weird inconsistent service, with zero apologies, random service charges, At least everyone is super nice. Nice unfortunately does not get me to work on time.

Breakfast claims to start at 6:30am - but in truth you won't get anything until 6:45am - 6:50am. For those stuck on UK or NYC time you are screwed - don't expect to start your day before the Chamberlain.
Wake up call - five minutes late. Unacceptable.
Room service always takes over 30 minutes.
Fitness center cramped. Useless.
SLOW elevators, used by kitchen and service staff alike. Take stairs.
Limited in room dining hours - not 24 hours. Do not come here with jet lag.

This is a great hotel for location. Lovely pool. Like I said, it's in West Hollywood. Come here for a vacation when time doesn't matter, and you can live the hours of a rock star... oh wait, no room service at 3am.

@Livinglearningeating - I'm not surprised that no one apologized for the cockroaches or for taking their sweet time to help you. Sorry you had to experience that.

Room Tip: Stay at the London West Hollywood
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank AbFab_NYC
Dear AbFab_NYC,

Thank you for providing feedback regarding your recent stay at the Chamberlain West Hollywood.

We take pride in offering excellent service and experience for our guests and do regret that we were unable to show you what the Chamberlain West Hollywood and our Staff are truly capable of.

I will look into the start time of breakfast - we do also offer use of the breakfast ordering hanger we provide to all of our guests. This item helps to ensure breakfast delivery specifications are received earlier in the morning and will be delivered at the requested time.

Again, I apologize that your experience at the Chamberlain West Hollywood was not in keeping with our usual standards but rest assured that your experiences are not taken lightly and will be used to improve the services throughout our hotel.