“Fair restaurant in a bad location”
Review of Holy Smokes Bar-B-Que - CLOSED

Holy Smokes Bar-B-Que
Cuisines: Barbecue
La Canada, California
“Fair restaurant in a bad location”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

This restaurant is situated in an old strip mall. Unfortunately, this strip mall is right near a very busy freeway interchange which makes it really hard to maneuver into their parking lot. Parking is atrocious...only one driveway leads in and out of the mall area and parking is extremely limited...we felt lucky that we found a space.

We ordered a B-B-Q sandwich which was OK. Unfortunately there was really no sauce on it. Perhaps one has to ask for sauce...the person who took our order certainly didn't tell us if that was an option. There are no french fries, which to me, is always a requirement for enjoying a B-B-Q sandwich! The baked beans were fine...nothing special. My wife tasted the cole slaw and said that she thought it had a unusual taste to it.

The restaurant interior itself is very blah...the owners certainly haven't tried very hard to create any kind of character or atmosphere to this place. It doesn't feel like a B-B-Q place. It's very white and the walls are decorated with hangings that seem out of place. A sign is hanging that says "You can't be our meat" which is an old cliche that is no longer funny or cute.

Service was extremely slow! We were the only ones in the restaurant at around 1 PM. We only ordered a sandwich. I think it took about 15-20 minutes for the sandwich to be made. I have no idea what they were doing in the kitchen. I could see the cook and he was busy doing something...how long does it take to put a sandwich together!

• Visited January 2012

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Been there once it it was ok.”
Reviewed November 15, 2007

Been there once it it was ok.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Orange County, California
“as stated before, best kept secret in SGV... bar none”
Reviewed July 25, 2007

beek sandwiches , chicken, ribs (pork, beef, babybacks), hot links, sweet potato pies!!!

Los Angeles
“Good BBQ Good Price”
Reviewed February 15, 2007

Hungry Al's is a small hole in the wall BBQ joint located just north of the 10 freeway on vincent avenue. A friend of mine who's a manager for Olive Garden referred me here. When you walk in, the place is obviously dated but decently clean. The service is nothing special but the food is abundant, great tasting and VERY affordable for the quality. We usually buy their family sized meat combonation (ribs and chicken). I suggest taking your food home with you. and if you'd like some good beer to take home with you, there's a killer selection at the liquor store two doors down.

3 Thank bravofamily
hungryalsbbq, owner, manager at Holy Smokes Bar-B-Que, responded to this review, May 24, 2007
Hello, my name is Lucas Israel. I'm the manager of the restaurant you reviewed on this site and I wanted to personally thank you for the great review.
We have a small, family owned & run establishment. It's very nice to know that people our thinking positively about what we're cooking up. So again, thank you and I hope to continue to make you happy with our BBQ.

Lucas Israel @ Hungry Al's BBQ