“Lovely setting, but be mindful if you have sensitive skin”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Weed
Stewart Mineral Springs Retreat
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Weed
Reviewed September 12, 2012

This resort is in a beautiful setting, I was with a group in the A Frame which was separate and right near a beautiful natural spring. The amenities were pretty basic, tiny showers which can be quite challenging as a tall person, washing my hair doing the limbo, and the bath tub upstairs had no decent plug, so the water wouldn't stay in.
The kitchen was well-stocked and the living area had a gorgeous view and a massive fire place. The upstairs rooms were pretty big with lots of storage space, the downstairs room were a little dark, but very comfortable. Three people from my group used the baths in the bath house and got some pretty serious skin rashes from it, which lasted for about three days and caused cracked skin and itching. The people at the front desk weren't overly helpful about it, so if you have sensitive skin, stay out of those baths!!
But overall I really liked it there, it is very peaceful, in a gorgeous setting.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank MickeyBinOz
There are newer reviews for Stewart Mineral Springs Retreat

Reviewed July 31, 2012

I'd picked up a brochure about Steward Mineral Springs at a local tourism info kiosk in 2011. I was going to spend a night there on this year's (2012) trip to OR and WA but it didn't work out. I planned to stop in to see it on the last leg of my trip, Ashland to SF, to see what it was like, and if I wanted to make more of an effort to stop there next year. I expected to get info from the office, perhaps a map so I could look around the grounds, and a change to see the place myself.

I did see it myself just by walking around and eyeballing the place.

As for info from the office? There was only one other person visible from 9:15 to 9:45 AM, who was completely hostile and rude.

What happened? I telephoned Stewart shortly after 9:00 AM to ask for more info - I was in the town of Gazelle, and suspected I'd missed a turn off between the I-5 exit and Gazelle. I reached a recording, which, for the record, had no information about their hours.

I found the correct road after backtracking. At the end of the road, a Sheriff was parked nearby. I asked if he could tell me where the entrance to Stewart Mineral Springs was. He pointed. "Wow, you can't tell where it is from the lack of signage!," I said. "I know," said the officer.

I drove up, followed signs "to office," parked, walked up the hill to a cluster of buildings. One building had an "office" sign and a door. I opened the door next to the office sign, walked into a very dark room (I could see a wood burning stove), and navigated my way through the dark room towards light at the back of the building.

Just then, a man bustled out a door with an armload of supplies, looked up at me, and YELLED, "What are you doing in here? How did you GET IN HERE??!! WHAT DO YOU WANT?!"
"Um, first, a bathroom... and then ..," I said. He pointed me to a bathroom and ran off before I finished speaking. Thank god at least he pointed me to the bathroom!

When I came out, he was nowhere to be seen.

It was evident that I was in the bathhouse, and I walked around and looked at the bathtub rooms, the outside decks, felt the water from a tub (soft!), walked down to the coldwater stream/pool, walked across the bridge and walked around the other side. I didn't see another soul.

When I came back to the office area, I looked and looked for the man I'd seen, as I wanted to properly introduce myself. I eventually found him behind a closed door, opened it, said "Hello..."
"What are you doing here. HOW did you get into this building?" he said.
"There was a sign outside this building that said "office," and it is next to a door, so I opened the door, and walked in," I said.
"COULDN'T YOU TELL THAT WAS A SAUNA? IT'S OBVIOUS THAT YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO WALK AROUND THE CORNER AND GO IN THIS [OTHER] DOOR!," he said with a very raised voice.
"Um; there's a sign that says "office" and it's next to a door, so I walked in the door next to the sign. I had no idea it was a sauna. It just looked like a dark room with a wood stove in it to me," I said.
"THE OFFICE DOOR IS AROUND THE CORNER FROM THE OFFICE SIGN," he stated with more anger.
I said, "I'm sorry, I don't know what to say. There is no arrow anywhere next to or near the "office sign." Do you want to go look at it with me? There's a sign that says "office" and it's next to a door..."
"NOT ONE PERSON BESIDES YOU HAS EVER BEEN UNABLE TO FIND THE CORRECT DOOR TO THE OFFICE," he said.
I said, "Sorry! Maybe when other people were here, there were other people out and about and they could see people coming and going from the office? Right now, you and I seem the be the only people here."
This was repeated in various ways for a time.
I said, "Look, maybe you could acknowledge that you are really angry at me, and then we could get beyond it."
That was ignored.

But I needed to get on with it. I explained why I was there, that I'd picked up a brochure last year, and wanted to see if I might want to make this a camping stop on my next year's trip to Oregon, "because I like hot springs."
"THIS IS **NOT** A HOT SPRING. This is a MINERAL SPRING," he said.
I said, "Yes, I knew that, I'm sorry, I used the term generically. I know it's a mineral spring."
"WE DON'T OPEN UNTIL NOON TODAY," he said.
"Okay," I said, "I didn't know that. There wasn't any information about that on your outgoing phone message. I telephoned around 9:15 AM. You'll have a message from me when you listen to your machine."
"Our phone system is really old."

O. M. G. !!!

So - in conclusion -- it's incredibly hot and dry in this country, way more than I like, hard to breath, even. Stewart is at a higher elevation than I-5, enough to take some edge off the heat, and put you into the beginning of pine forest. It's hard to find - you have to look closely for all the signage, or at least I did. It would be bearable to camp there because of the higher elevation, the cold stream running through the area with the plunge pool, and the baths with the mineral springs seem like a cool thing to do. I did not see where the camping area is, only where cottages are, and some kind of a central cafeteria area, in a lovely building near the bridge over the creek.

This guy could not have been more hostile, though, and I really was doing my best to be friendly, inquiring, and then neutral in the face of his anger at me. Honest to God, there really is an "office" sign with a door next to it, and no arrow around the corner. I don't know why this guy was so pissed off. Maybe he hates his job. Perhaps that is a good enough reason to avoid the place?

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
15  Thank Javacat_Calif
stewartsprings, General Manager at Stewart Mineral Springs Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear Javacat,

Sounds as if you had an adventure in arriving at theSprings. We recently limited parking to the lower area as our guests werecomplaining that traffic noise was interfering with their massage and bathexperiences. Thank you for pointing out that the signs to our office wereconfusing for you.

With that said, I’ve spoken with the gentleman youmet while exploring the bathhouse. He is our operations manager and was in theprocess of setting up the facilities for the daily use. We spend several hourseach morning, stoking the fire for the sauna, attending to housekeepingresponsibilities, and maintenance as needed. He remembers that you did enterour sauna through the employees entrance (it is clearly not an office) andrequest to use the restroom. You neglected to mention that there was also adiscussion about the hours of operation signage posted on the office door.Before you began trying all the doors to the bathhouse, you were at theentrance to the front office reading the posted hours. If you were in search ofa restroom, our outdoor facilities (for campers) were right next to the dining hall.He was kind enough to let you use the ones in bathhouse when it was closed. Furthermore,after you were informed that the springs was closed and used the restroom, youcontinued to roam around the building trying to open other doors, eventuallyrunning into the manager again.

You mentioned that the bath water felt soft. All ourbaths are cleaned and drained daily. When you were roaming around thebathhouse, it sounds as if you turned on one of the faucets. Our mineral wateris only piped to these private baths.

I feel that your review is out of line and not inthe true spirit of TripAdvisor. You never experienced a bath, enjoyed ourlodging, spoke with our customer service representatives or dined on premise.Instead, you trespassed not once but twice, first in the sauna and bathhouseand then in the operations manager’s private office. Then you write a veryhostile, one-sided story. Honestly, we have never had a guest confuse our woodburning sauna with an office.

Regards,

Rowena, General Manager

Reviewed June 27, 2012

I've been going to Stewart Springs for about 25 yrs. and really love the place. It has been seriously renovated recently--the rooms, cabins, baths and bathhouse, and the care and attention to the various details of the upgrades really shows. Although I've stayed in the cabins many times this review is just about the baths, sauna, sunning deck and cold creek/plunge, which are in great shape. Personally, I love the healing waters--slightly abrasive which is great for the skin. With no sulpher smell. The back deck and creek are great for nude sunning and swimming, but it is clothing required for the rest of the resort, which makes for an appropriate, family friendly atmosphere. The food at the restaurant is great too! One of the things I like most is the high, spiritual vibes--something not always in evidence in other hot springs places.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Carl M

Thank you for recognizing the high vibration of our healing waters and the unique experience it brings to each guest. Under the umbrella of Mt. Shasta and the different vortexes of this sacred land, we are humbled by the enormity of the task in the stewardship of this magnificent place. Our staf and I appreciate your constant visit.
Rowena

Reviewed June 3, 2012

Having spent forty of my sixty years of life outside of the USA and having stayed in countless hotels and resorts and inns on six continents, I submit with all sincerity that my five days at Stewart Mineral Springs Retreat afforded me as much well-being of soul and body as I have ever found in the most remote and undeveloped corners of this planet, which well-being at Stewart Mineral Springs derived not only from the retreat's pristine natural setting, but also from the management and staff's palpable desire to provide their guests with a genuinely rejuvenating experience. I shamefully admit that I lacked the courage to undertake what is laconically referred to by seasoned Stewart-ites as cooling off in the natural pool outside of the bathhouse after my individual sessions in the hot tubs and sauna inside, but I am firmly resolved to undergo that particular test of character and fortitude the next time 'round - as there will indeed be a next time!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank PilgrimOnEarth
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I have been going here for over ten years and love the Springs, and general beauty of the immediate area. I have been here in the Winter and Summer. Once I got snowed in here for a few days right after Christmas! Not a bad place to be stuck!
I understand the Springs and area were a healing grounds of the local native Americans, and they showed Mr. Stewart the springs, and he decided to make them his own. Not sure about the validity of that story though.
The worst thing most recently has been the spike in fees for everything there including the baths and lodging. Ten years ago, the baths were very reasonable and I think they used to throw in a free bath every once and a while if you lodged there. Now it costs $28 for nonmembers, ouch. If you're local enough or are gonna visit enough, you can become a member and get a discounted rate of 23$. Same with the lodging. I have now stayed in every type of accommodation they offer: Tepees (yes they do!), Cabins, Motel, Apartment, and I even did a seminar in the A framed house and another conference building they have there. I remember when cabins were about $75, now it's $90. The cabins are small, but I prefer to stay in them to get the full woodsy feeling. It has a wood burning stove, modest kitchenette and small bathroom with shower. The bed is a queen and sleepable. It's cool to be up there in the winter with the snow falling, listening to radio coming in from Yreka, and cook a meal with the stove burning after a nice soak in the bath. So the cabins are the best for my needs.

I stayed in a tepee the first time I stayed there and it was a nice experience. They are pretty comfortable, bring a tarp, it's earth floor.

I recently have stayed in the motel and apartment for one night each. It's just a place to lay your head, no wood stove, etc.. They have good showers, and the beds are pretty comfortable. Sheets and linen is always clean. It's usually quiet because there are no phones or televisions in the rooms. There is a public pay phone in a booth outside the apartments. The motel had a small room adjacent to the main bedroom with a twin bed inside it. The main bedroom had a queen. You have to be able to climb stairs to stay in the motel! There is a good climb up to the rooms.
The apartment had a modest kitchen with microwave and hotplate, which I used to cook. I cooked a dinner and breakfast there and it worked well. There is no grill or oven. They had a few plates, pots n pans if you don't bring your own. They even have a few coffee mugs and glasses for drinks. The apartment had both a wall heater and a space heater. I stayed in late November, and it was nice and warm.

The bathhouse is great! I like the atmosphere they have created with the new age music, usually some Indian flute music or similar is piped softly in. You get your own room with a clawfoot bathtub. Its has hot and cold mineral spring water from the source on the property. I don't believe the springs themselves are geothermal, but they heat the water very well, and the cold is there too, so make your own temperature. You can visit the source of the springs on the property about 75 yards away down a path. They claim it has the highest quality mineral water in the world! I must agree in some ways. There is a lot of silica in it! You can actually see the minerals floating in the water. I am very fair skinned, so I have to be careful, sometimes the minerals are so strong, it almost feels like I'm sunburned afterwards if I soak the full time. But then you exfoliate all this dead skin like a day or two later. I hope I'm not grossing anybody out. But, it does, and then you have baby skin. I like it. I have definitely walked out of the bath a couple times feeling heavily dosed with minerals into my skin, of course shower after you soak too. They have a great wood burning sauna that is quite large. The other stop is to the creek outside the door off the sun deck. It's usually bath, sauna, then jump in the creek, and repeat. They have drinking water available. Supply the towels and a bath sheet. There's small gift store selling crystals and postcards featuring enlightened individuals and holy figures and other crafty stuff. That's where you check in for accommodations too, known as "the office".

There's also a restaurant on site here. I ate there one night and liked it. It's nice not having to drive into town several miles for a prepared meal. They have a set menu each night, so no choices really. They had pasta the night I was there, served with a salad, and they also served me a huge piece of very rich chocolate cake that I ate for lunch the next day while fishing! They have wine available I think. The service is friendly and good. I guess they have a ladies' night there with dresscode I noticed advertised. There's no sign on the restaurant. It's just across the covered bridge right before the cabins in a fair sized log house. It has indoor and some outdoor seating on a deck. I choose the deck, and really liked the experience. It's a nice operation for their limited resources.

I've been there in a group, on a romantic weekend, but usually go solo. It's always been good to visit.

So now they have raised their prices quite a bit. But I will still come and visit because I love this place. It just feels peaceful and good to be there. Lots of pines, it's located in a canyon with the creek running through it. I remember the place was up for sale a few years back. It's worth millions. I have a feeling they raised theie prices mostly to keep the place up, including property taxes. It's rustic, but in decent shape. It's definitely not a fancy place. I go to soak in the mineral water and just be in a quiet peaceful place, where I can rest and sleep, maybe cook a meal or eat their food, you can even get a massage, all in the same place. Enjoy.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank mojorayjones
Reviewed November 21, 2011

This place has been around for ages. It is a special spot nestled in the woods with a swimming hole in the creek to cool down in when your too hot from the sauna. The baths feel wonderful and the whole experience is relaxing. I stayed in the apts. this summer and they were clean and comfortable. I visit often and am never let down. If you have problems with nudity or a laid back atmosphere this might not be the place for you.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank sofistka
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Went there for a retreat for raw foodists, stayed in the "Healthy Room". The room was outfitted with some great things, but the wood burning stove heated and spewed soot and ash the whole time. There was dirt everywhere, and the bathroom was unmanageable, and dirty. Think camping with a roof over your head. Would recommend staying in the other rooms, old motel like apartments on the level area. (THEY HAVE BEEN UPDATED!!) Not a good experience in the sauna as some stranger decided to shake off some sweat and ended up dousing a few of us that were nearby. Bad experience all around.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
7  Thank 1happyclam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Weed
Comfort Inn Mount Shasta Area
Townhouse Motel
Townhouse Motel
#3 of 6 in Weed
Quality Inn & Suites

Been to Stewart Mineral Springs Retreat? Share your experiences!