“One of my favorite places, but it's all about the Springs. I call it a "Rustic Resort".”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Weed
Stewart Mineral Springs Retreat
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Weed
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I have been going here for over ten years and love the Springs, and general beauty of the immediate area. I have been here in the Winter and Summer. Once I got snowed in here for a few days right after Christmas! Not a bad place to be stuck!
I understand the Springs and area were a healing grounds of the local native Americans, and they showed Mr. Stewart the springs, and he decided to make them his own. Not sure about the validity of that story though.
The worst thing most recently has been the spike in fees for everything there including the baths and lodging. Ten years ago, the baths were very reasonable and I think they used to throw in a free bath every once and a while if you lodged there. Now it costs $28 for nonmembers, ouch. If you're local enough or are gonna visit enough, you can become a member and get a discounted rate of 23$. Same with the lodging. I have now stayed in every type of accommodation they offer: Tepees (yes they do!), Cabins, Motel, Apartment, and I even did a seminar in the A framed house and another conference building they have there. I remember when cabins were about $75, now it's $90. The cabins are small, but I prefer to stay in them to get the full woodsy feeling. It has a wood burning stove, modest kitchenette and small bathroom with shower. The bed is a queen and sleepable. It's cool to be up there in the winter with the snow falling, listening to radio coming in from Yreka, and cook a meal with the stove burning after a nice soak in the bath. So the cabins are the best for my needs.

I stayed in a tepee the first time I stayed there and it was a nice experience. They are pretty comfortable, bring a tarp, it's earth floor.

I recently have stayed in the motel and apartment for one night each. It's just a place to lay your head, no wood stove, etc.. They have good showers, and the beds are pretty comfortable. Sheets and linen is always clean. It's usually quiet because there are no phones or televisions in the rooms. There is a public pay phone in a booth outside the apartments. The motel had a small room adjacent to the main bedroom with a twin bed inside it. The main bedroom had a queen. You have to be able to climb stairs to stay in the motel! There is a good climb up to the rooms.
The apartment had a modest kitchen with microwave and hotplate, which I used to cook. I cooked a dinner and breakfast there and it worked well. There is no grill or oven. They had a few plates, pots n pans if you don't bring your own. They even have a few coffee mugs and glasses for drinks. The apartment had both a wall heater and a space heater. I stayed in late November, and it was nice and warm.

The bathhouse is great! I like the atmosphere they have created with the new age music, usually some Indian flute music or similar is piped softly in. You get your own room with a clawfoot bathtub. Its has hot and cold mineral spring water from the source on the property. I don't believe the springs themselves are geothermal, but they heat the water very well, and the cold is there too, so make your own temperature. You can visit the source of the springs on the property about 75 yards away down a path. They claim it has the highest quality mineral water in the world! I must agree in some ways. There is a lot of silica in it! You can actually see the minerals floating in the water. I am very fair skinned, so I have to be careful, sometimes the minerals are so strong, it almost feels like I'm sunburned afterwards if I soak the full time. But then you exfoliate all this dead skin like a day or two later. I hope I'm not grossing anybody out. But, it does, and then you have baby skin. I like it. I have definitely walked out of the bath a couple times feeling heavily dosed with minerals into my skin, of course shower after you soak too. They have a great wood burning sauna that is quite large. The other stop is to the creek outside the door off the sun deck. It's usually bath, sauna, then jump in the creek, and repeat. They have drinking water available. Supply the towels and a bath sheet. There's small gift store selling crystals and postcards featuring enlightened individuals and holy figures and other crafty stuff. That's where you check in for accommodations too, known as "the office".

There's also a restaurant on site here. I ate there one night and liked it. It's nice not having to drive into town several miles for a prepared meal. They have a set menu each night, so no choices really. They had pasta the night I was there, served with a salad, and they also served me a huge piece of very rich chocolate cake that I ate for lunch the next day while fishing! They have wine available I think. The service is friendly and good. I guess they have a ladies' night there with dresscode I noticed advertised. There's no sign on the restaurant. It's just across the covered bridge right before the cabins in a fair sized log house. It has indoor and some outdoor seating on a deck. I choose the deck, and really liked the experience. It's a nice operation for their limited resources.

I've been there in a group, on a romantic weekend, but usually go solo. It's always been good to visit.

So now they have raised their prices quite a bit. But I will still come and visit because I love this place. It just feels peaceful and good to be there. Lots of pines, it's located in a canyon with the creek running through it. I remember the place was up for sale a few years back. It's worth millions. I have a feeling they raised theie prices mostly to keep the place up, including property taxes. It's rustic, but in decent shape. It's definitely not a fancy place. I go to soak in the mineral water and just be in a quiet peaceful place, where I can rest and sleep, maybe cook a meal or eat their food, you can even get a massage, all in the same place. Enjoy.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank mojorayjones

Reviewed November 21, 2011

This place has been around for ages. It is a special spot nestled in the woods with a swimming hole in the creek to cool down in when your too hot from the sauna. The baths feel wonderful and the whole experience is relaxing. I stayed in the apts. this summer and they were clean and comfortable. I visit often and am never let down. If you have problems with nudity or a laid back atmosphere this might not be the place for you.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank sofistka
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Went there for a retreat for raw foodists, stayed in the "Healthy Room". The room was outfitted with some great things, but the wood burning stove heated and spewed soot and ash the whole time. There was dirt everywhere, and the bathroom was unmanageable, and dirty. Think camping with a roof over your head. Would recommend staying in the other rooms, old motel like apartments on the level area. (THEY HAVE BEEN UPDATED!!) Not a good experience in the sauna as some stranger decided to shake off some sweat and ended up dousing a few of us that were nearby. Bad experience all around.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
7  Thank 1happyclam
Reviewed August 15, 2011

I got there on a Sunday without a reservation thinking I'd stay if the price was reasonable and if they had a room, of course. I was met cordially with the information that things were "much better than they used to be" (I had used the baths about 5 years before a couple of times and thought they were great). Was told that the $90 single rooms with cooking were not available but that I could stay in the motel. I asked if a soak was included in the price and was told "No", but it would be 1/2 price. The room was ok, set up for 6 people, and I found in the notebook on the desk the price was $60. I never got a receipt from the desk, and they said they'd mail it to me (a week later I have not received it). My credit card was debited $127. When I called to complain was told that there was a 2 night minimum on the weekend and that there was a $5 discount on bath on Sunday. None of this was told to me when I checked in, as front desk manager seemed vague and flakey. When the manager finally called me back today she was rude, short and simply unyielding. I feel sad that this previously laid-back, comfortable place to be is no longer so comfortable. Will no go back and would not recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
14  Thank 497Laurie497
Reviewed August 3, 2011

My husband and I were really looking forward to spending a day at this hot springs. A friend of ours had recommended it and said the mineral baths were great, the vegetarian food very good and the owners quite friendly. We thought the baths were some of the best mineral waters we had been in. Our skin was quite soft and we appreciated having the sauna and cold creek water as part of the treatment. Yes, the sauna and creek area are clothing optional and on the day we went, I'd estimate that 80% of the patrons chose to be nude in the allowed areas. If you have issues with this, then this is not your place. This is not your mainstream "spa" so expect to see all kinds of unsual and interesting folks!

What disappointed us was that we didn't know that the restaurant was closed for several days. Because this hot springs is located off the beaten path, we thought we had it made for lodging, meals and spa time. When I called to make the reservation I was never informed that the restaurant would be closed on the day that we would be staying. Had I known that, I never would have booked a stay in one of the cabins. We ended up using the bath facilities until closing time, then trekking back into Mt. Shasta to find a place to have dinner. It's probably less than 1/2 an hour to Mt. Shasta, but still, it cut into whatever relaxing time we hoped to have at the cabin and the area. The following morning, we had to be on the road by 8am. When we went to check-out, the office was locked and the sign said their hours are from 12 pm to 6pm. We left the key to our cabin in our cabin and figured we'd be billed later. We were and all charges were correct. Again, I was disappointed because I had intended to purchase a book in their gift shop, but since the office wasn't open, I just left. I remember seeing a sign with their hours of operation, but I assumed it was for the spa, not the office/gift shop. I wished the person checking us in had said something about that and given us instructions on what to do with their key, etc, in the event we had to check out early.

Our cabin was fine. The mattress was a full size one and seemed quite small for us since we are used to sleeping on a king size bed. We knew that upfront, but decided to go for it anyway. This is not a deluxe cabin by any means. I would describe it as rustically funky. It was clean and had a small kitchen set-up for some basic cooking.

Would we go back? Probably, but not sure we'd stay overnight again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Alverda3
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I went to Stewart Mineral Springs with a group of friends the third week of June this year and was pleased to discover that it was so much nicer than it was a few years ago. The rooms have been renovated by the new manager, and were very comfortable and clean. The food was much better than four or five years ago, so they must have a new cook.
The location is exceptionally beautiful, with a rushing creek that goes under a wide bridge with a roof and benches to sit and watch. Guests can sauna for free, and if you want to soak in the hot mineral water, you can rent a small room with a tub and a towel for $14. You can go back and forth between shower, tub and sauna, or walk down to the creek outside the spa and hanging you feet in the cold creek water (a whiteboard gives the creek temperature daily, and food and juices are available at the spa without walking up to the restaurant. Clothing is optional in the spa and they give you a sheet to wrap up in. Massage appointments are available and many beautiful things are available in the gift shop at the spa.
I recommend it to anyone, and look forward to going back. The motel accommodations require walking up a long flight of stairs, but there are other ground floor accomodations. The staff is very friendly and helpful. If you haven't been there since they remodelled, it's worth another look. Jeri Anne Hampton, Eugene, OR

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room if you have trouble with stairs.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank Jerianne33
Reviewed July 30, 2011

This resort is on incredibly beautiful
land, and you can hear the rushing of the spectacular creek from the lodging, a great sound to sleep to. The natural surroundings make it an ideal place for retreat. I was there at a sceduled retreat but would return to relax and soak in the mineral springs and the natural beauty. I appreciated the different levels and pricing of lodging from Teepee, Camping, Motel, Higer level Hotel and Cabins. The motel had two bedrooms so was quite comfortable and worked out well in sharing lodging with others at the retreat I attended there. A great stopping point on a longer trip or a destination location to take day trips to some of the scenic opportunities and hiking available around Mt Shasta.

Room Tip: I liked the options of different levels of lodging from camping to Teepee to motel room to higher en...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank EnjoyingOregon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Weed
Comfort Inn Mount Shasta Area
Quality Inn & Suites
Mount Shasta Resort
Mount Shasta Resort
#2 of 9 in Mount Shasta

Been to Stewart Mineral Springs Retreat? Share your experiences!