“A Nice Little Old-School Motel”

and 1 more site!
Hi-Lo Motel & RV Park
Ranked #1 of 1 Weed B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 14, 2012

This is the kind of motel I like--an older, classic roadside motel from the golden age of family vacationing that is well maintained and reasonably priced.

Overall, it was a great value and we would definitely stay here again (in fact, this was our second stay.)

The Hi-Lo is a 1950s-1960s era motel located on what used to be US Highway 99 in Weed, CA, with easy access to I-5. It is a very well-maintained property, especially on the outside. It is freshly painted and nicely landscaped. It is a family-owned establishment and it is clear that they take a lot of pride in their motel (and other related enterprises).

On our trip, we booked two rooms (one for our family and one for some relatives, which gave us an opportunity to compare two rooms).

What we liked:
•The rooms are clean.
•The upper-level rooms have plenty of natural light.
•The furniture is fairly up-to-date and in good condition.
•Some rooms have a refrigerator and microwave (this information is available when booking on the Hi-Lo website).
•The beds were very comfortable.
•The little creek at the back of the property was a lot of fun for the kids.
•The closet area was ample.
•At check-in, guests receive tokens good for free coffee at the property's on-site cafe (which is worth eating at).
•The creekside room offered more quiet and privacy.
•Mt. Shasta is CLOSE! What a view!

What we would like to see improved:
•The Wi-Fi signal was weak in the lower-level (creekside) room, but strong in the upper level room.
•The creekside room, being downstairs, felt a little dark and not as well-ventilated as the upper-level room.
•Thicker pillows or more pillows on the bed would be nice for sleepers who have a variety of pillow preferences.
•The bathroom in the creekside room was OK, would would benefit from an update with some newer fixtures and more counterspace.
•The TV was a tube-type (not flat screen) and the cable was a little limited (neither is a big deal, but there it is.)

Room Tip: I preferred the upper-level room, but the lower (creekside) level rooms are quieter and more seclude...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank GoSeeCal

Reviewed July 26, 2012

My husband and I spent a night here on our way from Seattle to Napa. I had seen it from the outside on a previous trip and thought it looked funky and worth a try. We had a king bed in an extremely small room. The bathroom was small as well. The room was clean, but not immaculate. Walls had new paint, the shower had up to date tile and the carpet was ok. There were a few "chunks" of something on the bathroom floor. I didn't examine them closely, but it looked like the maid dropped a small piece of muffin or something. The room was extremely spare. One towel, washrag and hand towel per person, no extra blanket, two king sized pillows. On a hot day/night, the air conditioner would not have done the job. For $72.00, I guess it can't be beat. It served our purposes for a fast one nighter on our way somewhere else. The motel appeared to have some larger rooms, which, if we stayed again, I would ask for. The bed was ok for my husband. I have a seriously bad back and thought it would be hard to sleep on for more than one night. The bed did not have a sheet on top of the blanket like most hotels are doing now.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kta123
Reviewed July 10, 2012

While it is another of the very dated motels out there is is neat, clean and comfortable. There is free WIFI and the the bed was just right. They gave us tokens for coffee at the HI-Lo Cafe right next to the motel. The Cafe had good coffee and breakfast was above par.
On the down side it has no in room coffee no fridge or microwave.
We will stay here again it was very affordable at 56.00 plus a night for a Queen room with large tiled shower.
There is also a small room which houses Pop machine, Snack machine, and free ice.
close to small market and the "Weed Store" lol you have to visit this little city to understand the humor they use in the little trinkets every store in town.

Room Tip: We had room 12
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank cynpowers
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We feel quite fortunate to have found this great place to stay on our frequent visits to Mt. Shasta. Our room, although small, was exceptionally clean and had a great view of Mt. Shasta from the king size bed. Loved the restaurant as well. All the staff were wonderful, friendly and competent. On the weekend, there was early morning noise, but other than that our stay there was great. We'll be back!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 245Quigley__
Reviewed June 27, 2012

My first impression of this hotel was very favorable. The outside is clean and attractive. Inside our 2 double rooms, everything was spotless, in place and in working order. There is a small, clear creek behind the motel, and the children loved going there and tossing rocks into the water. There is no free breakfast, but at check-in we were given a number of tokens for free drinks at the Hi-Lo Restaurant. We forgot to use them at supper, and the cost for four drinks was over $9. There was no flexibility to refund that part of our bill, so at breakfast we took a bunch of drinks to go. The inflexibility of the management to refund our drinks and accept our tokens is one reason I took a point of the rating. However, the service and food at the restaurant was plentiful and delicious. Another reason I couldn't give 5 stars is that the toilet required 10 full seconds of holding the handle in order to completely flush. And, the room downstairs was active and noisy until 3am...which bothered no one but me, but still...I wish I had known where the noise was coming from earlier so I could have asked the management to quiet them down. Overall, I recommend this motel, and would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank kwobo
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I came to this area of northern California to enjoy the full solar eclipse. I am pleased at how pleasant and comfortable the room was. I slept well. The price was great. The manager and the staff were very friendly and attentive to my concerns, questions, and requests. The housekeepers cleaned my room thoroughly everyday. I enjoyed my 4 night stay. The conjoining cafe atmosphere was homey and had a small town feel. The food was good. I liked having my big fluffy pancakes for dinner.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a fridge and microwave if you need, the first room I was assigned did not have t...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Kaliah D
Reviewed May 11, 2012

My girlfriend and I were driving late at night from the Redwoods to Eugene, Oregon and decided to stop in Shasta or Weed for the night. Having no luck in Shasta (the night clerks didn't answer the phone or call button at the two motels we stopped at) we cruised up to Weed and stopped at the Hi-Lo Motel. By then it was after 2:00am and the gal that we woke up was surprisingly friendly. She hooked us up with a super cheap room since we were only using it to sleep in for 5-6 hours. Not only was the room a really great deal, it was comfy and cozy and spacious enough for the two of us and all our gear. Not only that, we also got two free coffee tokens for the Hi-Lo Cafe next door where we had a delicious greasy breakfast and tons of coffee...ALSO the motel gave us a token for 10 cents off per gallon of fuel at the fuel station down the road. Since we needed caffeine and gasoline anyway this was a really cool bonus we thought was awesome.

Room Tip: We got put in a room on the backside of the motel which was great ~ no traffic noise and a partial v...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank HappyAbigail
Also consider these accommodations in or near Weed
Comfort Inn Mount Shasta Area
Townhouse Motel
#3 of 6 in Weed
Motel 6 Weed - Mount Shasta
Quality Inn & Suites

Been to Hi-Lo Motel & RV Park? Share your experiences!