“A Great Place to Stay”

Best Western Rose Garden Inn
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Watsonville
Reviewed September 10, 2008

The Rose Garden was very clean, quiet and comfortable. Well maintained with nice décor. The neighborhood was of no concern. A beautiful church sits on Main St a block away. All details of the room and grounds were excellent including a friendly staff. The breakfast was nicely done and the waffles topped it off. According to past reviews, parking had been an issue but now parking is no problem as it is reserved specifically for guests using dashboard permits. We would stay there again, no question.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed July 10, 2008

Bottom line--the neighborhood is questionable--maybe unsafe. The hotel itself is nice. Rooms are cute, amenities are average (except cold pool), and the contintenal breakfast (waffles awesome) was good. Basically, put this hotel in a better area and it would be a AAA three diamond. Yet, I would rate it 2 1/2 because of its price and location.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2008

I was told about the Best Western Rose Garden Inn. Noting negative comments about the area, I was ready to make other reservations when I contacted the staff via phone. My wife and I stayed 5 days, took a late dinner across the street one night, and had a very pleasant stay. Upon arrival, I did not like the room on the first floor. The reservationist on duty immediately checked room availability and even though the motel was rather full, with a smile changed us to the second floor. The continental breakfast had a nice variety. Everyone, from the manager to the cleaning people were friendly, courteous and helpful, and I felt safe during the entire stay. Upon our return to Watsonville I will stay at the Rose Garden Inn.

Jim

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed May 5, 2008

My husband and I stayed here because all the better hotels were taken due to the Garlic Festival. What a mistake it was.
We were afraid to leave our room because of all the crime going on. Around the corner from the hotel the street was blocked off with a shooting that had taken place and the police had their guns out and people spread up against their police cars. When we got back from having dinner we noticed some illegal activity going on across the street. Our bathroom window faced a apt building where a little child sat out on the steps and cried for the longest time.
The cost of a room here is totally outrageous there is no way my husband and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2008

After reading numerous reviews on a variety of websites, I decided to give the Rose Garden a chance. Our room was great! Clean, modern and plush with rich colors. After checking in and checking out our room, we tried to get a new room since other occupants (construction workers) were gathered smoking outside and drifting in and out of their rooms with the doors left open. After talking to the front desk staff, we were unable to move as the only comparable vacant room was on the second floor and it is their policy not to register pets on the second floor. Yeah!!! This is a pet friendly hotel!!! Only a $15.00 extra charge for my dog. In the end, we did not spend much time at this hotel and did not encounter any noise or smoking problems.
The pool and hot tub area was very clean. The hot tub was a very nice 'hot' temperature. We enjoyed it after eating our warm waffles from the continental breakfast.
As often stated in other reviews, the neighborhood is not the best but we felt safe at all times. This is often the case in this agricultural city. It is a small property that has no through traffic. The building itself is nice looking on the inside and out. The hotel staff recommended the Mexican restaurant "Jalisco" which was two blocks away and an easy walk. We were pleasantly surprised at the beautiful building and great food. It was great to have a fridge and microwave in our room for our leftovers.
Overall, the Rose Garden impressed us. It not only met our needs but surpassed my expectations. I would stay there again and have already recommended it to others.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2008

What a nice surprise! This hotel is super clean, with new paint inside and out. The furniture and decor of the rooms was very nice, with a lot of attention to detail. I was impressed with a lot of little things, like the designer color schemes, and the artwork on the walls. Somebody really thought this out. The pool and exercise room were clean and very adequate.

Another review said that it is located in a low income area. It is, but I felt safe, and felt that my car would be safe also. The Best Western did stand out like a gleaming jewel amidst the surrounding area.

Anyway, a nice little hotel. A good value.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 4, 2007

We stayed here during a camp for my child and wanted to be nearby. Watsonville is a quaint , mainly rural town. We were surprised at the cleanliness of the room we had. We booked a suite for $134 a night, 2 rooms with a kitchenette and 2 bath. It was very quiet and nice. My only complaint would be the pillows. They were entirely too fluffy, I like down pillows, but this is really a matter of personal preference. Otherwise, the hotel was friendly, they directed us to a great local restaurant down the street, Jalliscos. We really appreciated the value and the stay.

Stayed: August 2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Watsonville
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Watsonville
Rio Sands Hotel
Rio Sands Hotel
#2 of 6 in Aptos
Hilton Garden Inn Gilroy

Been to Best Western Rose Garden Inn? Share your experiences!