“poor impression”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Watsonville
london
“poor impression”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Haven't actually stayed here but phoned to enquiry about room availability. The woman I spoke to had a very poor telephone manner and was offhand which completely put me off staying. I phoned on a Tuesday for a room the following Saturday i.e. four days ahead and was told that I would have to pay immediately and would be unable to cancel - ridiculous to have such a cancellation policy.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
RoseGardenInn, General Manager at Best Western Rose Garden Inn, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Mr.Biggles51,

I am sorry your experience was less than pleasant with us. Our facility does a courtesy call four days ahead of arrival to make sure we will still be expecting you as our guest. I am unsure of who you spoke to but we do not charge your card over the phone ever. We do however need a credit card to hold and guarantee your room. Upon arrival that's when we authorize the provided credit card with a valid identification. We do not actually charge your card until check out. If you have any further question please do not hesitate to call me. Have a great day!

Best Wishes,

Rachel C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights with our kids. We got the best suite, with a nice patio and beautiful bathroom sink. The room was clean, staff was nice. The only negative is the breakfast. They have only pre-wrapped sandwiches, boiled eggs, cereal, some bakery items and fruits. Our suite had a full kitchen, although it did not have enough utensils, but they provided plastic ones upon asking. Location is good, short 10 minute drive to Santa Cruz and about 1 hour 20 minutes to San Francisco. All in all a nice hotel for a big family.

Room Tip: The big room with the patio has 2 queen beds and a queen sleeper sofa. This room was quiet, even th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Southern New Mexico
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Everything we wanted to do and see was close by and easy to get to: Sunset and Manresa beaches, the Santa Cruz wharf, Monterey and the aquarium, AT&T Park for a ballgame. When we were at the hotel between adventures we enjoyed the lovely and relaxing atmosphere. The grounds are garden-like, with a clean pool and hot tub. The breakfast room was cheerful and welcoming, with a wide choice of self-serve foods. The decor inside and out was thoughtful, lovely, welcoming, comfortable. We are an older couple, but we met business people, single people, friends vacationing together, and families in the breakfast room, and everyone seemed to be having a good time.
We booked this stay via hotwire and probably couldn't have afforded it for five nights otherwise, but it was definitely worth the going rate, and we would like to stay there again!

Room Tip: More parking space in the back section, off the main entrance.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
RoseGardenInn, General Manager at Best Western Rose Garden Inn, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Mr. Two Tacos,
I am so happy you enjoyed our property as well as all our local amenities. Judging from your profile picture it seems you travel a lot and I am happy that from all your travels that we were a 5 star pic in your eyes! We do hope you visit us on your next trip to Watsonville and I hope you had a lovely summer!

Morro Bay, United States
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The neighborhood of the hotel was not that great, but when you get inside the room looked really nice which was a pleasant surprise. The WiFi connection was spotty, the remote control to the TV didn't work that well, and the heater was on the blink. The first night we turned on the heater it made loud noises on and off which made it very hard to sleep. We finally turned it off. The second night we turned it on to get the room warm before going to bed, but then an awful smell started coming from it so we turned it off immediately and had to air out the room. Other than those things our stay was good. Like I said the room looked really nice and the bed was comfortable.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Simi Valley, California
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I booked this hotel because my wife was attending a teaching conference at a school nearby. This was listed as the top hotel in the city by AAA and seemed to be the only one that allowed 4 people in the room as the HIE only had a max of 3. Had reservations for an expanded room with whirlpool, fireplace, and sofabed (for the kids). It was a complete disappointment. I've stayed in hotels where the bathroom was bigger than the entire room here. With two adults and two kids the room was cramped and you could barely around in the room when the sofa bed was unfolded. I will say that the hotel was clean and the staff was friendly. However, I could get a better breakfast at a gas station convenience store. This place left me wondering where is the "Plus" in this Best Western Plus hotel.

Room Tip: Based upon comments from friends this was actually luxury compared to other hotels in Watsonville...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
RoseGardenInn, General Manager at Best Western Rose Garden Inn, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Mr. BigGuido,
I am sorry you were disappointed with your room. It sounds like you booked our whirl-tub/ fire place suite which is typically popular with honeymooners or couples but it does have the sofa sleeper too so if the room was squishy I apologize. Also our continental breakfast meets the standards that Best Western sets for us which includes fresh fruit, hot and cold cereal, yogurt, breakfast sandwiches/croissants/ bagels, sweet pastries, and a waffle iron to make your own waffles. Was there something missing that day? I'd love to know so that I can correct the situation asap. Thank you for your feedback.
West Hollywood, California
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We checked into this Best Western about 10 PM after a long day of driving looking for a good nights sleep. We were given a room at the back on the second floor. After unpacking and we began getting ready for bed, dogs in the adjoining YARD behind the motel began to bark. It seemed every time we moved in the room, the dogs barked. This went on for hours. We were awakened at 6:30 AM by more barking. In the morning when I complained to the person at the desk, all I got was sorry. This evening after arriving home I called the person who checked us in and he said he was aware of the dogs barking but since they were in a neighboring yard there was nothing they could do about them. I suggested he might have told us about the barking dogs so we could have chosen a different place to stay.

Room Tip: I'd never recommend this Best Western to anyone who values a good nights sleep.
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Kent M
Cloverdale, California
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This Best Western had everything we needed/wanted. They even accepted our small dog. The room was clean, quiet and fully-equipped. Folks at the front desk were very pleasant and helpful. I most certainly would stay here again. Room rate was a bit high, specially with all the taxes and surcharges.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Watsonville
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Watsonville
Rio Sands Hotel
#2 of 6 in Aptos
Best Western Seacliff Inn
Best Western Plus Forest Park Inn

Been to Best Western Rose Garden Inn? Share your experiences!