“SUPER BUSY BUT SUPER FRIENDLY”

Best Western Rose Garden Inn
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Watsonville
Watsonville, California
“SUPER BUSY BUT SUPER FRIENDLY”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We came to stay on a sold out night, there was a line out of the door upon arrival but the front desk remained friendly and welcoming with cookies. The parking was limited but there was additional parking in the back which was super convenient. The breakfast was pretty good too they called it a "continental" but I'd almost consider a full hot breakfast. Check out was easy and just as friendly too. Overall it was a great experience and I'd recommend this facility to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
RoseGardenInn, General Manager at Best Western Rose Garden Inn, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us. Yes, it looks like you came the weekend of the Moto GP race at Leguna Seca in Monterey which is one of the highest demand weekends of the year here. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and our complimentary breakfast. Because we do not serve hot eggs and meat our breakfast is considered continental, however we appreciate your high remarks. We hope you are able to come again to stay with us. I always recommend a shoulder season, either spring or fall, when the weather is nice but the crowds have dwindled. Sincerely, Sharon Bobbitt GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
California
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights. An overall small, funky placed motel in the middle of a residential/business area. Check in was average, person at desk didn't seem too welcoming. If you bring a dog, you are only allowed on the first floor. We were given a room in the back of the property where you have to drive out of the main lot and around the corner and enter a few driveways down. Actually this lot is way better than parking in the front lot which is very small. If you have a large suv or large pickup truck it will be a very tight fit, if you come late you may have a problem parking period.
We were given a non-smoking room which smelled of smoke. I'm guessing because of the cigarette canister placed right outside our room door. The doors are not interior, they open right into the parking lot or the outside depending where you are. The rooms are not that big, but have the average bed, desk, tv, mini fridge, microwave, coffee maker. Small bathroom sink area. The shower tub drain was always clogged so while taking a shower, the tub filled up with water. Our room could have used a good dusting, fuzzy dust on top of the lights ick!
The free continental breakfast was what you would expect, the basics and enought to get you going in the morning. It did not open until 7am though, so due to our schedule we were not able to access it each day.
I am unsure if I would recommend this place or not. I don't think there is alot to choose from in hotels in this area. Pretty pricey for what you get.

Room Tip: Try and get a room by the back parking lot.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
RoseGardenInn, General Manager at Best Western Rose Garden Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear V's, Thank you for reviewing your experience with us here at the Best Western Plus Rose Garden Inn. We appreciate your efforts. I would like to apologize for your finding the dust on the lights as this is not up to our standards. I have asked the head of housekeeping to have all the housekeepers do a thorough dusting of all the rooms immediately. We hope you will consider us again on your next visit to our area. Sincerely, Sharon Bobbitt General Manager
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I chose this motel based on the very good reviews here on tripadvisor. Since ive been staying at a lot of Best Western Pus sites my expectations were quite high. First of check in was fast and efficient and the staff was friendly. I can certify that the cookies mentioned in several reviews are really very tasty;-)
The room was a lot smaller than im used to from Best Western. We had a Queen bed and a sleep sofa for 3 people. The bed was ok the sleep sofa a complete disaster. The mattress was way too soft so that u could feel every bone in your back come morning.
Besides that the rom was very clean and the bathroom and washbasin quite large with lots of towels.TV had lots of channels including 4 HBO und 2 ESPN, unfortunately it was not a flat screen. Internet was ridiculously slow with lots of interruptions and losses of connection.

The pools is removed from the street in the back of the motel and quite nice. So is breakfast with waffles. To say that there isntmuch to do in Watsonville is a major understatement. But within 5 minutes driving distance you will find all the basic shops and eateries you might need.

Considering the price of about 100$ a night i was kind of disappointed.

1 Thank Tekener
Sierra Nevada's CA
Reviewed July 2, 2012

This hotel is located in downtown Watsonville. It is easy to get around and easy to access the freeway. There are lots of main stream stores down the street if you need anything. The hotel itself was very nice. It was clean and comfortable and very quiet. And considering what appeared to be a booked house with all the vehicles in the parking area it was very quiet. People were enjoying the pool the whole weekend. The breakfast was great, it's basic cereal, coffee and oj. But they do provide fresh fruit, waffles and a few other items. If you want a hot breakfast there is plenty of places to go up the street. I think overall this is a great place to stay. It is about half way between Santa Cruz (Boardwalk area) and Monterey. The staff is very nice and helpful. Despite some of the comments in other reviews I feel this is a very safe hotel. I would feel that way even if I was staying here by myself.

Room Tip: We were towards the back in 217 and it was quiet. You can't avoid noise, but I feel that most p...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank qb4867
, General Manager at Best Western Rose Garden Inn, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Thank you very much taking the time let others know about your stay with us. We always appreciate the time and effort to post a review. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay. We take great pride in being one of the highest rated Best Western's in the country. We also feel our property is safe. So much so our female front desk staff is fine with being being on property by themselves. We hope others find your review helpful and look forward to you coming again. Sincerely, Sharon Bobbitt
Lompoc, CA
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We stayed in room 110 for one night. Staff was very friendly upon arrival and had our reservation ready and check in only took about 2 minutes. The scent of baking cookies was heavenly and the staff told us they'd be ready in about 40 minutes and to be sure to come back to the office to get some. The parking area is small and the entire motel is small but pleasant. There is a swimming pool and jacuzzi out doors, it is small but clean and perfect for a quick swim. There is an exercise room by the pool that has been converted from one of the guest rooms. It had an exercise bike, treadmill and two all in one weight machine things (don't ask me the name of them). As on previous reviewer stated, the parking lot is small and when we returned from dinner the lot was 100% full and we didn't have a spot to park, however while walking around earlier we had discovered a 2nd parking lot behind the building accessible from the street behind the motel, so we just parked there and walked through an open corridor to our room, no problem at all. There is a laundry room, vending machines with snacks and sodas.

They serve complimentary breakfast from 7am-10am and based on pior reviews I wasn't sure what to expect. The breakfast room is good size with about 4-5 tables for seating. There was plenty of food and a good variety too. Fridge with hard boiled eggs, yogurt, cream cheese & butter. 4 cold cereals to select from, 2 types of juice, english muffins, bagels, raisin bread, muffins, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, oatmeal, apples, bananas, oranges, peanut butter and fresh belgian waffles that you make yourself. The room was clean and while we were there the food was replenished twice as we ate breakfast. The only complaint, if you could even call it a complaint is that the lids that are provided for the coffee cups do not fit properly and no matter how you hold the cup, the lid keeps sliding off and as I drank coffee it would spill out all over me. Finally gave up the lid and was not able to take a cup of coffee to go, but really it is not a big deal. There is a Starbucks not far away and we just stopped there for a cup of coffe for the road.

The room was very clean and well decorated and well appointed. We had a small table with 2 chairs, a desk with a lamp and office chair with internet connection, but we used the free Wi Fi. There was a dresser with a flat screen tv on it and then an armoire with a microwave, coffee maker and larger than average fridge. Closet with mirrored sliding doors next to the sink and vanity area which was tile and the sink had hand painted designs. There was a hair dryer on the wall and a swing out make up mirror which I have never seen in any hotel before and thought it was a great idea. The toilet and shower are in the bathroom (sink outside the door). Soap, lotion, shampoo, condition and shower cap provided. We did not hear street traffic noise. The only noise we did hear was from the guests above us stomping around and the plumbing noises from them flushing toilets and/or taking showers. Normal motel stuff. Normally don't hear it as much in a bigger hotel, but it is common for motels and wasn't irritating nor did it keep us awake.

The area around the hotel was fine, just a normal neighborhood of business and we did not feel unsafe at all. Restaurants are driving distance as well as other businesses such as Target, Staples, Grocery Stores, CVS Pharmacy etc...

Overall it was a pleasant stay and we would definitely return.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Deanna-Lompoc
ghettohood
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I have stayed here many weeks at a time due to myj job taking me out of town and this would be one of my favorite motels to stay in.It is always clean.The beds are comfy and the staff is great!!
The manager is a wonderful lady too.

Room Tip: 122 right by the pool,work out room and hot tub
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Tina L
Tennessee
Reviewed March 3, 2012

I start off saying, I stay in hotels about 200 night a year. This hotel is on my never again list!
I had my reservations & about checking into this hotel when we pulled up and saw that it only had exterior entrances. In the rooms the inside had been refurbed in some rooms but it was a loose attempt to cover up years of crud. The noise from the traffic was annoying from the nearby intersection. The hotel would not give me a cancelation refund at all and the staff wasn't accommodating but we attempted to stay however wound up leaving. I did not feel safe here. They told me it was not an unsafe neighborhood, however, I have very reliable source once i arrived in Watsonville that told me it is not a good neighborhood. Not a chance I wanted to take. I was told not to go out after dark. I'm sure the hotel will tell you that it is fine & perfectly safe there. It is a risk I wasn't willing to take. I will only stay at hotels with inside entrances for the sake of safety. You have to determine your own comfort level. I left & went to another hotel.

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank MSPilot
RoseGardenInn, General Manager at Best Western Rose Garden Inn, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Dear MS Pilot, Please allow me the chance to apologize for the frustration you seem to have felt at the time of your arrival and your uneasiness of the outside corridors of our property. I am sorry that you were not aware of this at the time of your booking. We do try and make this point of fact available on our website as we have found there are companies that do require traveIing employees to stay in indoor corridor properties only, as well as individual guests like yourself who feel more comfortable being in an indoor corridor facility. I would appreciate an opportunity to be able to speak with you personally in regards to your reservation to address all the concerns mentioned and hope to come to a satisfying conclusion of your stay with us. Please contact me directly at the hotel. I look forward to speaking with you. Sincerely, Sharon Bobbitt GM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Watsonville
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Watsonville
Rio Sands Hotel
#2 of 6 in Aptos
Best Western Seacliff Inn
Best Western Plus Forest Park Inn

Been to Best Western Rose Garden Inn? Share your experiences!