“Excellent, fresh fish”

Ranked #2 of 129 Restaurants in Watsonville
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Fresh, local fish cooked perfectly. Fresh bread came with delicious dipping sauce with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic and Parmesan cheese. Servers are very friendly and accommodating. Crab cake was moist with crispy coating and lots of crab, accompanied with scallops that were also very moist and tender. Will definitely return and will recommend this restaurant to friends.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We were in Watsonville for our first time to attend a two day event. Both TripAdvisor website and the hotel where we were staying recommended The Fish House. Wow - what a treasure! We have dined at numerous restaurants over the past 20 years in the Monterey/Carmel/SantaCruz areas, and The Fish House is comparable to the best of them and better than some of the top ones.

The fried calamari was lightly battered and quickly fried, leaving them tender and flavorful...the true test of good restaurant. Best of all was the oak grilled halibut - prepared to perfection. Even the accompanying vegetables and pasta were prepared with extra attention and flavor, nothing like the bland, boring side dishes of others restaurants. The meat and pasta menu items were tempting as well...great options for the non-fish customers. We loved their "white table cloth" look combined with their relaxed, yet professional, staff. We were dressed casually, having just arrived in town, and did not feel out of place at all. I only wish I spent more time in Watsonville so I could dine here more often. If you plan to go there, be sure not to miss them!

If there was any room for improvement, I would say it would be with their choice of dining music. We arrived to Steppenwolf's Born to Be Wild (think Dennis Hopper in Easy Rider). We like the old loud rock, just not for dinner. It was co-mingled with some mellower sounds from back when that were great, so maybe the selections just need some editing. Nevertheless, the music wouldn't prevent us from returning!

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

I ended up in Watsonville on a Monday night. I turned to TripAdvisor for a local restaurant. I found a local restaurant I wish I could find in every town. I was greeted as soon as I came in contol I could sit anywhere. the menu they bought me was fabulous the appetizers alone could be a whole meal. and so since I couldn't decide between calamari, oysters or crab cakes, I asked if the chef could make me a sampler appetizer plate. he did with no hesitation it was wonderful. Char grilled oysters, fresh calamari fritta, and crab cake. They have a lot of fresh seafood and pastas on their menu. They also had four fresh seafood specials. I chose one of the specials Oak grilled halibut with a drizzle of chimichurri sauce, it came with seasonal vegetables, and a Sun Dried tomato penne pasta. The service was wonderful The food even better and this is just on a Monday night. it looked as though they had a wonderful wine selection and a full bar.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We were a group of 8 here to try Wastonville's newest restaurant and we were all very pleased. Started with cocktails in the bar and the service at the bar (Manuel was our bartender) was attentive and drinks were good, not weak. Wine selection seemed to please all that were partaking of wine that evening. Beer drinkers in the group were also happy. Six of us all chose one of the fish dishes. There were plenty of specials (which you like to see in a Fish establishment because of seasons and catches changing all the time). Only one dissappointment (the scallops were not quite to one of our group taste). Two chose a halibit and the fresh Monterey Salmon honey almond encrusted and they were both great! (You can also order fish blackened or oak grilled) Another had the Prawn pasta and the prawns were very good sized and he said the pasta was perfect. We had two non-fish enjoyers in the group, one had the New York which he expressed no complaints about and the other the Vegetable pasta with marina sauce; she also had no complaints. During the evening we had seen other tables with a flameing something being served and inquired. Dessert special was Bananas Foster. Which was ordered along with the Mud Pie and Creme Brulee and passed around. All three fantastic. Then to end the evening, Manuel comes out with shot glasses and lines them up in a semi-circle at one end of the table and with a shaker. He begins to pour..... there were two ex-bartenders in the group and neither have ever seen this drinking event! Ask about a rainbow!

We all laughed when we were sitting and relaxing after the meal. The "reserved" plaque was still on the table, and this does not describe our group. The staff here is fun and the lead waiter for out table was Sal! Great job and helped to make the meal. We felt service was good, we got what we asked for. There still are some small things (bread was served but the olive oil/vinegar - we had to ask for that) to be worked out, but as they come to know how to work together these things will be rectified soon.

Also, they have tables and chairs on the front deck and also off the bar - so on fined evenings and afternoons like we are having now - great place to dine al fresco! Great job Fish House - hope you are here to stay!

Reviewed June 12, 2013

What a treat to find a fresh seafood restaurant in Watsonville! The Fish House is exactly what has been needed here. Friendly, professional staff, fresh fish, local produce, interesting menu items. I was happy to see how busy they already are after being open only a few weeks. I ordered the grilled baby octopus - delicious! Bananas flambee for desert is a show stopper!

1  Thank ckf722