“We got our money back”

FairBridge Inn Express
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Watsonville
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We booked a one night stay at the Valley Inn through Hotwire. When we got into our room, the door didn't have a deadbolt. I went down to talk with the manager and he told me not to worry and that we will be safe. He offered no solution. Then there was the stained chairs and linens. The furniture had holes in the fabric and numerous stains. The bathroom was dirty and had a mold stain around the sink faucet. We've stayed in nicer 1 star motels.

We called Hotwire & explained out situation and they refunded our money and we left...we didn't stay there. The Valley Inn was a complete dump inside.

• Stayed: May 2012
7  Thank Mattolds1

Reviewed May 30, 2012

This room was beyond awful. All linens had dirt or stains on them. The mattresses were broken down, we both had sore backs in the morning, when we woke up in the morning we could not believe the filth...the box springs looked like they had been picked up off the road somewhere. The screen in the bathroom was so thick with dirt that we couldn't get any air through it. Things were stuck on the walls (don't want to know what they were). My feet literally stuck to the bathroom floor. I could go on and on... If I had seen this room in the daylight I never would have stayed there. We had to find a place near the car dealership because we were stranded, I would walk miles to avoid this one again. We never complained to them, but I wanted to warn others so I took time to write this...hope it helps.

Room Tip: Avoid this place completely!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank T S
Reviewed May 18, 2012

During last 2 months, we stayed in Valley Inn for more than 3 nights with our family. Each time we got a different room. We found a place very family friendly, quiet and comfortable for us and for our kids.Rooms were clean with comfortable bed. All amenities were working fine.

Great value for money and very centrally located for trips to 17 miles drive and Santa Cruz.

We will definitely stay here often and surely recommend our friends to stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SKKK93063
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Stayed at Valley Inn, Watsonville for more than 4 weeks during my frequent visit to area. Nice safe, clean and economical place for business and family travellers.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank MAC0591
Reviewed November 8, 2011

We unfortunately did not get to pick the hotel exactly when we booked through Hotwire and were shocked by what we saw when we arrived. The carpet had more stains then we could count. The toilet seat had busted and had been taped back with clear tape. There was so much stuff stuck to the tile and wall, door, behind the door that we decided immediately to not use anything more there then necessary. We slept fully clothed on top of the sheets since that was probably the only thing in the room that had been cleaned in a while. The fridge had brown dried up stuff all over the inside. The door jam looked like it had been busted and just painted over. The heater did work though, so that was the only good thing. We brushed our teeth the next day with bottles of water from the grocery store and waited to shower until we reached our next destination. With that said we were still probably cleaner then if we had gotten in that tub or set foot on the bathroom tile.This rates much lower than the 2 it shows. We didn't expect the Hilton and I understand that it is older, but even my seven year old knows how to clean dirt and dust and hair up in the bathroom, and toilet seats aren't so expensive that you can't replace them. I am not sure how this place passes health code!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank Matthew S
Reviewed July 17, 2011

After reading reviews about the Valley Inn, I expected a nightmare when coming here - however, that wasn't the case. Everything was clean (to the eye), and I don't really have any horror stories to tell unlike the previous reviewers. I did find a toothpick under the chair foot rest after moving it, but other than that, there wasn't anything downright NASTY that I could complain about.

We wanted a cheap place to stay for 1 night that was close to Santa Cruz and Monterey and that's what we got. The inn is also close to a grocery store and plenty of food places, so that was nice. So I would say, don't be afraid to stay here, but don't expect anything lavish. I wouldn't stay here for more than a night though imo. If I'm going somewhere for more than a night, I'd want to stay at a nicer place, but that's just my personal preference.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kobashii
Reviewed July 8, 2011

I should have read the earlier reviews. This place was substandard conditions. No habitable. Hot running water in a utility sink in the room that could not be turned off. Why? Towels were not usable. Linoleum in bathroom coming up. Bathroom patched together. We were afraid to sleep in the beds. I asked for my money back and owner refused. Had to dispute payment at the bank to pull back money. We did not stay. We moved to a Bes Western Plus a couple of blocks away. My first bad hotel experience. Lesson learned.

Room Tip: Do NOT book or stay.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank Terriblelodging
ValleyInn970, Owner at FairBridge Inn Express, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2011

They took reservation for One King Bed room thru web. Then, called to change it to Two beds and Booked one more room with Two beds on phone. Then, canceled one of them. So many changes in travel plans within 24 hours.
They checked in around 3.00PM and asked for a local map. Our local maps have advertisement for other hotels in town. After 3 hours around 6.00PM came to office for getting refund. Simple- 3 hours length of stay does not qualify for any refund at any hotel. Requests made in reasonable time like 10-15 minutes surely qualifies for refund and we have done that in past.

Regarding observation saying that linoleum in bathroom is absolute lie as bathroom have floor tiles. Running hot warm water on sink is far from truth. We cannot afford wasting energy resources like it. All the rooms are checked daily by management and maintenance guy. She said she was scared to sleep on the bed; why?. Beds are made by clean sheets, supplied from outside vendor and so as bath linen.

It was their decision to reserve, cancel, checking-out. Clearly, customers' intention was inappropriate so as their travel plans.

We can post the pictures of the room they stayed in regarding all her complains and you will find that it is a made up the story for their own convinience. We are hard working business in the town and we will not allow any of the client to wrongly keep allegation on us and spread bad impression about the property.