“A real treat!”

Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Marina, California
“A real treat!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is a pleasant but not elegant little restaurant so don't go expecting "fine dining". What it does do is Northern Chinese dumplings. Having grown up on chiao tzu I made a special trip just to see what they were serving. The dumplings af Zen Dumpling are clearly not the southern style dim sum most people are used to. They have thicker skins, among other things. They also lived up to my expectations and I am eager to return to try more menu items.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Patrick M

Watsonville, California
“Best Chinese in town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

The food here is super fresh and has great flavor. Not the typical "American" Chinese restaurant, seems very authentic and not premade like the restaurants down the road. Cabbage and pork dumplings, chow mein and Kung pao are the best!! It's not fancy by any means, it's your typical "hole in the wall" treasure! Affordable for a family and super flavorful!!

• Visited July 2013
Loveland, Colorado
“If you like real Chinese you will LOVE Zen Dumpling”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

I've never been to China but friends who have tell me Zen Dumpling is the real deal. I do enjoy good Chinese food and work in Cupertino, so consider myself lucky to have discovered this local gem only minutes away from home just off Highway 1. My favorite is the namesake Pork & Shrimp Dumpling with Chives ... cooked fresh, al dente and bursting with spicy flavor ... my moment of Zen every time. The Garlic Green Beans are always perfect and exactly the way I like them. We enjoy the Shredded Pork with Garlic Sauce, too. One thing I don't like about most Chinese food in the US is that it is often prepared for the typical (bland) American palate -- which is not the case with Zen Dumpling. Personally I can never get enough garlic and enjoy spicy cusine. However, if you don't just say so when you order ... and if you do you will be in for a real treat. As many authentic Chinese restaurants will do, Zen Dumpling is more than happy to prepare any special dish you want upon request even if it is not on the menu. One of mine is a yummy fish entree prepared in hot oil with cabbage that is not for the timid. I have the name written in Chinese characters on a business card because there is no real English translation. When I showed the card to the folks at Zen Dumpling they recognized the dish immediately and told me they would have it ready in 15 minutes. Love at first bite! The bottom line is Zen Dumpling aims to please and they certainly hit the mark with me. Highly recommended.

• Visited April 2013
Salinas, California
“Lunch Specials are the best”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

Any day every day the lunch specials are the best, cheap and very tasty, well cook and fast, the will deliver to you, they r very friendly, Dine in is good as well, and the place is very clean

Seattle
“Awesome cheap food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

I've been to the New Asia a few times over the last couple of months. Their food is very good and very cheap. And what is more amazing is that they are willing to work with you if you have food issues. My wife is a vegan with particular tastes and they are always willing to slap together a dish for her based on her needs. There have been a couple times when we've gotten a younger waiter who didn't know that they did that but once we spoke to the right person it wasn't a problem.

They have killer lunch specials and their dinner specials aren't bad either. If you do take out they have a 10% discount on the back of the takeout menu so use it.

Great eats. Great service. English is a bit iffy, but I'll trade sketchy English for good food any day.

• Visited February 2012