“Bordering on unprofessional.”

Skydive Surfcity -Santa Cruz
Ranked #1 of 2 Tours in Watsonville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We are the only skydiving operator in Santa Cruz County and we boast THE BEST coastal views of any Drop Zone in California. We are the closest Skydiving Operation from San Jose and San Francisco that has coastal views! Our instructors average and experience level of 8.500 safe skydives and some of our instructors have been on formation world records.Enjoy: -Unbeatable Coastal Views of the entire Monterey Bay-Best Safety Records-Most Experienced Tandem Instructors-Amazing Scenic Flight to Altitude- Unique Videos Cover the Freefall AND the Canopy Ride-Check out our personalized Gift Certificates (Best Present EVER!!!)With Skydive Surfcity you will never feel like just another jump. Although our instructors have done many thousands of safe skydives we do realize that YOUR jump may be YOUR first.
Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

We had pre-booked our skydive with Skydive Surfcity and turned up a little earlier than originally planned in the early afternoon.
When we walked in we were not greeted by anybody despite there seeming to be a few people milling about. It turns out they were all staff but it was difficult to tell as no one introduced themselves or made us feel welcome.
We had a bundle of paperwork thrust at us to sign as waivers and were told to watch a disclaimer video, which we understand is part of the process but it was all very impersonal.

It was my wife's first ever skydive so she was particularly nervous and this lack of interest and reassurance from the staff did nothing to help. I have done one skydive previously in New Zealand where the set up was far more organised and professional and I felt valued as a customer, which was in stark contrast to Surfcity.

When we met our jump masters (Caleb and Matt) they were laid back nice guys and were very good eventually, after a somewhat forced introduction by ourselves as we had to ask their names. We felt safe and reassured by them when they explained our instructions. We really enjoyed our jump and the views were spectacular.

The up-selling of photographs and video was also fairly blatant and expensive for what you get. My wife chose to have photographs and was presented with a CD. Who uses CDs any more??!! For $80 extra in 2014 we would have expected a USB stick at the very least. Also, comparing the experience with New Zealand, the photos were taken from an arm-mounted go-pro on the instructor as opposed to a separate photographer jumping in NZ.

We would have enjoyed our experience much more if we had felt reassured from the start. When we had finished, 3 Asian males turned up at the reception area and were greeted with the same disinterest as we had been. If we had not pre-booked and had turned up 'on-spec' as these guys had done we would have taken our custom elsewhere.

If all that is important to you is getting up, doing a jump with some spectacular views then use Surfcity. If you want the customer experience and reassurance as a first time jumper (as my wife was) then I recommend you take your business elsewhere.

2  Thank Jazzwood
Skydivesurfcity, General Manager at Skydive Surfcity -Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2014

Thank you very much for skydiving with us and thank you very much for leaving a customer review. This gives us the feedback we need to self- reflect and to improve our service. Of course we regret that you could not give us a "positive 5 star review", but what we regret much more is that we could not meet your expectations. On behalf of the entire Skydive Surfcity team, I would like to express my sincere apologies. I have done more than 7000 tandem jumps in New Zealand myself and I know how some of the companies over there set the bar pretty high. This is exactly what we are aiming for with the Skydive Surfcity project here in Santa Cruz : we want to excel in safety, beautiful views, short wait times, and of course the overall customer experience. I believe we are successful as we do have an outstanding safety record, some of the most experienced instructors on staff, state of the art equipment, spectacular ocean views, short wait times and we do strive to have outstanding customer service. I understand that in terms of customers service we must have dropped the ball when you were our guests. There is not much we can say to remedy this at this stage. We are sorry and really grateful that you are pointing this out to us. No being welcomed warmly is inexcusable and not having the instructors introduce themselves is far from what we expect from them. Would you mind emailing me the date that you were here. I would like to know who was working the front desk so I can work with them (hopefully it was not me:-) my email address is Volker(at)skydivesurfcity.com I have already spoken to the 2 instructors! You provided other very valuable input as well: the USP stick idea is simple but great and long over due. We will get this taken care of and will offer USB sticks as an option. You would be surprised about how many people still request a DVD but again making it an option is a great idea. While we regret that we could not meet and exceed all your expectations we are stoked that you appreciated the amazing coastal views and were happy with the professionalism (in terms of skydiving safety) of our instructors. Both are some of the best in the industry.
Thanks again for Skydiving with us and for giving us this chance to reflect. We are looking forward to hearing from you. Volker on behalf of the entire Skydive Surfcity Team

All reviews
in 13 reviews
in 4 reviews
in 4 reviews

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Thank You so much to everyone at Skydive Surficity.
The skydive was so much fun , I loved every second of it.
Very beautiful place , friendly staff and fantastic atmosphere.
I am definitely coming back!

1  Thank Miroslav693
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

This place was fantastic, the guides were great. My bestie was terrified, but Caleb took such good care of him. Thank you so much!!

3  Thank laurenwalley
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our 1 year anniversary with our first skydive and Caleb and Eric were amazing jump partners. Unfortunately the beach landing wasnt available but we were notified before purchase but we still were able to jump over the ocean which was incredible. I highly recommend this place and look forward to future visits! thank you guys!

2  Thank JPMoney309