“We like this place!”

Cuisines: Japanese
S.F. Bay Area
“We like this place!”
Reviewed August 27, 2011

I never cared for sushi until my husband and I started eating at House of Sake on a somewhat regular basis. We haven't had a bad meal yet. I am now completely hooked on sushi. The staff here are friendly, the food is served quickly, and the dishes are beautifully prepared and tasty. Also they have a big parking lot which is an issue when dining out in Walnut Creek. Many of the reviews for this restaurant are pretty old, I highly recommend people giving this place a chance.

• Visited August 2011

Walnut Creek
“House of Sake changed owners and there into saving money 1 star”
Reviewed November 14, 2010

Been going to House of Sake for 20 years the new owners have been making changes.
Sushi is now thin slices. Have cheap thousand Island dressing on the salad.
No reason to ever go back.

California
“Wecome to Japan...in a tiny stripmall!”
Reviewed December 30, 2009

Oh boy! This has been one of my favorites for years...always coming in for the Godzilla Roll...and we had a party there recently. Happy Birthday...over the top!
Semi busy for a Monday night. Friendly greetings at the door. Seated after a short wait...had to have the back table.
Amos, our waiter, brought our water, edamame and first course of Japanese beer and sake. Several varieties of both are available BTW.
We did sake bombs...a Japanese twist on the boilermaker with rantings and ravings in Japanese and new cocktail/taste sensation.
Sushi arrives...several different varieties and rolls. Never disappointing with the fish giving the aroma of the ocean!
We failed (7 of us) in doing the sake slammer. This is a coordination test/game where one attempts a quail egg drop into a sake bomb. That was the only failure of the evening. I look forward to my next visit!

Castro Valley, California
“So, tell me tell me. . . what happened here?”
Reviewed January 6, 2009

Tried the House of Sake about a year ago, and we really liked the food. But, we went there again, and were thoroughly disappointed. The restaurant has always been low on ambiance, more strip mall leased space sterile in appearance, and the lighting is much too bright. But, the food was good a year ago. On this outing, we ordered the teriyaki chicken and tempura, along with an order of tuna roll. The chicken appeared to have been a breast that was sliced in half to give you super thin slices as opposed to a full sized piece. And, it had no taste to it. HMMM can you say economy? The tuna roll was flavorless. So, all in all, I can tell that either the ownership has changed, the chef has changed, or the economy has changed the way they run this restaurant. Sorry, but you only get a so so star from me on this one.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook