“Close to BART, great value”

Holiday Inn Express Walnut Creek
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Walnut Creek
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Decent walking distance from Pleasant Hill BART and the freeway. Rooms large and comfy, beds soft, pillows fluffy. Half the vending machines were empty/broken, but the other half weren't! Had an extra "tourism" fee added to my bill, so watch that. Would stay again!

Room Tip: Even the highway side rooms were quiet!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Steve D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Walnut Creek, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear Jessi R.

Thank you for posting a review about your stay. I am so pleased you enjoyed the property and found it comfortable.
We appreciate your comments regarding the vending areas and we have fixed the issues.
The tourism fee is a mandatory City fee collected by the hotel and is conveyed on all of our brand information and our Third Party partners websites. I am sorry it came as a surprise to you.

Thank you again for your comments and giving us the ability to improve our service for future guests. We hope to see you again if you should return to Walnut Creek.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I don't see why this hotel is priced as high as it is, I found it very unattractive with decent but not excellent service. The rooms look a bit aged, but they were clean. I would not pay $120/night to stay here again.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear, Sean L.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay. I am sorry that you did not see the property as a good value. We do have many amenities included in our rates that can save our guests a lot of money compared to the Full Service options in the area.
I am happy that you found the hotel clean. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our overall service and I will share you comments with our staff.
Our rates do vary throughout the year, and perhaps you can visit us again when the rate is a good value for you.
Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I was visiting friends in Walnut Creek and chose this hotel. It was a fantastic find. The room was great, the shower was THE BEST, nice pool, afternoon treat of just baked chocolate chip cookies, free USA TODAY, a better than average free breakfast, and most unexpected, a happy hour from 5:30-6:30. The happy hour was a bbq, with hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken, chips, and dessert. In this day of trying to take amenities away, this hotel went out of it's way to really do something nice for its guests. I had a sprained ankle, and really couldn't get around to find dinner, so this was so appreciated. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I did not have room service, there was a jacuzzi, but I couldn't get the circles to unselect and...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Steve D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Walnut Creek, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear Holiday Inn Express Walnut Creek Guest;
Thank you for choosing us between all the options in the area. We were so happy to served you and we look forward for your next trip to Walnut Creek.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed at this Holiday Inn Express at least five times and have never had a bad experience. The staff is knowledgeable and efficient at registration.The rooms and are comfortable and clean. I know that they have had some security issues in the past and have a room card key for access from the basement garage to the upper floors. New this time was a policy that guests who make too much noise and bother others will be evicted, which I like.

One suggestion for the next remodel of the lobby. Please, installed a central staircase for access to the second floor, which would cut down on the long waits for the elevator. Most people would use a staircase if they could see it. The only time we use the elevator is during check in and check out.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Steve D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Walnut Creek, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear David S.

Thank you for your review and suggestions on how we can improve. I will make sue our team know you felt taken care of and you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Steven Dodaro

Reviewed June 7, 2013

I had a brain freeze & forgot that move out (that'd be my child) & graduation (this will be us in a couple of years) at CAL were on the same weekend so by the time I started looking for a place to stay, all the hotels I normally stay at in Emeryville/Berkeley were booked. Choice was SF (cross the bridge) or Walnut Creek (navigate the Caldecott Tunnel). I picked the tunnel.

Pros: $$ (instead of SF $$$$), very clean, easy access to freeway, comfortable bed, linens/towels/pillows were fairly new, free wi-fi in the room, free breakfast (nothing special but enough to tide you til you get to The Cheese Board), nice shopping area with plenty of restaurants less than 3 miles away.
Cons: I had a room that was close to the freeway so was quite noisy so ask for one that faces away from it.

Bottom line - if you're looking for a place to JUST sleep after a full day of shopping, eating, sight seeing or in my case packing, moving, going up and down a bazillion stairs, this will do. If you're looking for a resort with amenities, this will disappoint in a very big way.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the freeway.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Walnut Creek, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear srv2sd,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. I am pleased you have noticed the cleanliness of our rooms. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I would also like to apologize for any disturbance you have experienced during your stay. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We booked for a local event through a deal we found in the newspaper. Upon check in the staff had no knowledge of the event and the voucher we were supposed to receive and was rude and didn't even have shuttle service running on the weekend when they advertised shuttle service for this special event. Mostly issues with advertisement and staff that was uninformed. I'm sure if you just need a place to stay it is fine, but the quality of service was far from excellent.

• Stayed: May 2013
Steve D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Walnut Creek, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Thank you for informing us about your experience regarding the shuttle service. I understand that we did provide shuttle service for you to the Art and Wine Festival. We typically do not have shuttle service on the weekends and we were not aware of the misprint in the newspaper as we did not place the ad, it was done through a third party organization. I am glad we were able to accommodate your transportation request and satisfy the conditions of the advertisement.
Our apologies for the miscommunication. Hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

As a result of having some renovations completed in our apartment complex, our property management company placed us in the Holiday Inn Express in WC for 1 week. I have an elderly parent and being single myself, we were in no way interested in getting involved in going out-and-about since we already live here; we were more interested in resting and getting a good meal. Upon arrival, we were greeted with a friendly and easy check-in by Luis and the assistance of Donna, who instantly made us feel at home. They understood my request for rest and no disturbance, and subsequently I was not disturbed by housekeeping or unnecessary house calls about our comfort or linen changes. We had a basic, quiet room overlooking the pool and hottub area set in some greenery, which was barely used throughout the week by other guests, which was great. When it was used, it was not a party atmosphere, but business people seeming to just want to either sun or swim for a bit or talk businiess, and that was it. No sounds from above or next door, excepting for the occasional heavy door slam, because of the security doors for each room. (I might suggest a light hydraulic system for the doors-- the slam is LOUD!!) But overall, we felt secure as we left our belongings in the room for meals and so forth. When we needed towels or water bottles, they were supplied, along with the other essentials of kleenex and toilet paper. We did request the carpet to be vacuumed again once we settled in, but housekeeping did this swiftly, without any question. They also additionally asked if we wished the carpet to be cleaned, which we said no to. The carpets do need to be cleaned, and this I would suggest perhaps once a month if not a week for all rooms, if at all possible; otherwise all was well in this department. We had good, fluffy pillows and a manageable amount of bedding that was not excessive, as so many hotels do now with cheap accent pillow-ware and heavy bedspreads that exhaust you in the morning while making up the bed. The room decor was basic wood furnishings, modest in style and clean, not distracting for anyone who just needs a place to sleep or work on their laptop. The TV accommodations are a bit scattegorical as there are no really good channels to choose from if you just want to unplug yourself and watch an old movie. They have the run-of-the-mill HBO pay-per-view offerings along with unfortunately an adult channel, which as a family hotel, SUGGESTION: let go of the adult channel. Otherwise no old tv shows or movies-- normal cable, but CNN, FOX, CSPAN, etc; particularly a nightmare this last week as the Ohio-Castro crime was being broken on every network known to man, so no escape there. There was a small clock radio that got poor frequency. Luckily, we had our own radio and CD player. SUGGESTION: get Sirius or some basic music channels on the TV like basic cable offers; at least then you can hear some decent jazz or classical as an alternative. Meals were dealt with on our own, but we did take advantage of the little clean refrigerator and hot water/coffee maker, and they were generous with our asking for more coffee pouches. The morning breakfast was a simple spread but nice with cereal choices, pancake maker, small pastries, juices and toast, eggs and bacon. Simple but did the trick to get us going and out the door. SUGGESTION: please please please know that news at the 7am hour in the morning (especially grisly crime and kidnappings-- or POLITICS-- blech!!) NOT good with the early am breakfast time. You have news papers in the lobbly, maybe keep some in the breakfast room and turn off the TV and place some classical or simple musak overhead. Or the fun Nat King Cole- oldies station you had on when we arrived-- EXCELLENT choice. Remember for most people this is a home away from home and we are trying to escape from reality at least as long as breakfast lasts. The grounds are nicely kept and the birch trees are well managed along with the lovely lawn area. Parking might have been a nuisance going towards the weekend, but considering their tight parking, we always got a space without problems and no dings or crazy drivers nicking the cars. We rounded out our week with one last additional night because carpeting was being installed last minute in our apartment, so we had to ask for an additional day; though we knew they might be done in a few hours. I couldn't be sure if I should hold the room for one more night and just risk getting charged; we had a sick older parent on our hands as well, so we needed some assurance that she could settle while we went out and about checking on the apartment completion details. Jairo was so accommodating that I've yet to even get over it. He was kinid and considerate in understanding my dilemma in not wanting to move my mother around, yet also understood that I could not afford the extra day myself if our prop. management company wouldn't cover the expense. He happily compromised a good solution that put my mind at ease and allowed us to do our business away from the hotel, while mom rested at her leisure in the room on our last day there.
True to contractors form, the apartment was ready by 8pm and there was no way we were going to drag mom out of bed, so we stayed one extra night. THANK YOU JAIRO!!! for making that process easy and stress-less!! I must say that after staying in some of the finest hotels including the Pierre and the Plaza in NYC, Boston Ritz and Claridge's in London, not a one would have been this thoughtful or insightful as to their patrons need for a stress-less solution to a simple prob. Jairo was in the midst of getting slammed for the weekend and did not shuffle us out the door on their convenience, but put us FIRST which I have yet to see even with the Carlyle hotel. INCREDIBLE!!! He and Sylvia need to teach the RItz group as well a W and some of the others how its done.. TOTAL client care... Last thing: the very last night we were there there was (gulp?! seriously!!!??) an arrest outside our hotel door, which was a bit shocking, as they have a strict no party rule with youngsters or the 30's set (arguably difficult as Massee's bar is across the street-- but still things were amazingly quiet throughout) so this was unnerving. I was irate that we were awakened in such a manner but it was handled swiftly and although we had a tough time getting back to sleep (along with mom's heart condition!!) the hall and surrounding grounds were quiet as we had come to expect through the week. I was ready to give them hell at the service desk in the AM because our sleep was disturbed in a bad way, but even before I got the words out. Jairo said everything was taken care of, no charge for the last night, we apologize for the disturbance, please let us know how to assist you this morning as you transition home, etc. WHA??!! again I had to fight someone at Claridge's for my lost room reservation, their fault-- was charged for it while having to wait a week for the $500 reservation amount to drop off my visa card. All in all it was a great experience in how to handle people, how to stay real in our expectations of a simple hotel accommodation and how to really believe that customer service still exists out there with the mid-range hotels that are there for the general traveler and business person.. Also, two nice computers for checking email and NO CHARGE for having to print up a simple email or route map. BASIC, SIMPLE, REASONABLE. Nice job guys, if we have anyone coming out who need the basics and a nice atmosphere of good accommodations-- you get our vote. Thank you Jairo, Donna, Sylvia, Luis, housekeeping and cook-wait-kitchen staff for taking such great care of us. We love you guys and hope you all get a hearty raise for the great work!!!

Room Tip: we had one on the first floor (158).. good for the week.. you might want something on floor two if y...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank LoveHolidayInnWC
Steve D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Walnut Creek, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear Holiday Inn Express Walnut Creek Guest:
Thank you for taking the time to recognize our hotel and staff members in your review. I am very pleased that the entire staff was so helpful. We hope you will visit us again soon at your next trip to the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Walnut Creek
4 mi away
Crowne Plaza Concord
Crowne Plaza Concord
#4 of 8 in Concord

Been to Holiday Inn Express Walnut Creek? Share your experiences!