“Staff Excels, Changes Coming”

Walnut Creek Marriott
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Walnut Creek
Reviewed January 11, 2012

We have stayed at this fine hotel for two Christmas holidays in a row. The staff, from housekeeping to front desk to breakfast crew, are excellent. The hotel is centrally located off of the interstate and near the Bart. You can park beneath the hotel. The lobby/bar area are undergoing renovation, but the rooms are quiet. I am hoping that the renovation does not mean that the hotel will be sold to a non-Marriott chain.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Walnut Creek Marriott

Reviewed January 7, 2012

I have stayed at this property 3 times over the past few years and am always very satisfied. Rates are reasonable and free parking is a plus. Access to Bay area freeways is close and easy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from freeway.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2011

My husband and I stayed here recently while on a 3-day house-hunting trip around the area. We priceline'd this hotel for $80/night (60% savings in theory) and it was worth just that. Definitely NOT an "upscale plus" stay as Priceline categorized it.

PROS: VERY conveniently located to the freeway. Really easy to go anywhere from Walnut Creek. Rooms were upgraded recently, so modern feel was comfortable. They were also very quiet. Bath & Body Works soaps are a bonus. Free self-parking garage was nice and secure. Fitness center was great. Walking distance to quaint Walnut Creek, but be careful if walking at night. Kind of sketchy.

CONS: #1 - The hotel is under construction (staff said from Dec 2011 through Mar 2012) which means the lobby, lounge and restaurant are not nice places to be, especially during work hours. This is a huge downside if you want to access the hotel's only free wi-fi. Unhappily paid $5 for 24 hours of in-room wi-fi.

#2 - I hope they update the rooms and building infrastructure, too. The paint was chipping all over our bathroom, and the tile was super stained.

#3 - The pool was open, but decrepit. Didn't feel very "heated." And was really small. The hot tub, which was more like a round dip pool - probably 3 feet wide - was closed. Both in disrepair. Also both are located towards the freeway side of the building. Not conducive to relaxation.

#4 - As a frequent Priceliner, I've never been treated like a second class citizen at a hotel. But I was here. At "our rate," we were not able to enjoy the complimentary breakfast or cocktail hour/hors d'oeuvres. Really shocked with that standard and the poor service it bespeaks.

Overall, a great stay for a business traveler I'm sure, but not so much for a romantic getaway. And I'm pretty sure I'm shredding my Marriott's rewards card. The chain is really going downhill on every level and hasn't impressed me in a while.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
norvalnelson11, General Manager at Walnut Creek Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2012

Dear Chantalier00

Thank you for taking the time to provide us valued feedback on your most recent visit to our Walnut Creek Marriott Hotel.

We appreciate your positive comments regarding our convenient location and access to Walnut Creek; that you found our recently remodeled rooms quiet, comfortable and with a modern feel, that the Fitness Center was great, free and secure self parking, and that your enjoyed our Bath and Body Works soaps as a bonus.

I apologize for your disappointment and the inconvenience of our lobby renovation, the guest bathroom tile and paint maintenance issues, the unavailability of the Spa (unfortunately it was out of order during your stay for a six day period for necessary repairs) and the confusion regarding our complimentary breakfast and cocktail hour/horsd'oeurves. Full Service Marriott Hotels provide complimentary Breakfast and Evening Reception beginning Sunday evenings through Friday morning in our Concierge Lounge for guests that elect to pay for the premium service and for our Platinum and Gold Marriott Rewards members. Please rest assured that we value our Priceline guests and are committed to provide them with the same quality experience that we provide all of our guests.

Please contact me directly and I would be pleased to reimburse you for your $4.95 internet charge. I look forward to your return visit and the opportunity for you to experience our new lobby, restaurant and lounge re-invent in early April.

Norval Nelson

Reviewed December 2, 2011

Bar service was great, very good about letting us change chanel for different game. Did not drive used local transportation. Bart to Oakland Airport was easy $3.50 vs. $79.00 for a shuttle..Front desk was good, but did not listen to directions on billing our rooms, still trying to correct problems.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 1, 2011

We enjoyed our stay here. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. We had a room on the 6th floor away from the freeway, which was quiet and comfortable. The bartender who was on duty in late afternoon was wonderful and we liked the comfy couch in the bar area. Didn't really care for the parking garage, which was difficult to navigate. Overall though, a very good stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brodeia
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I have an iPhone with AT&T service and had 1 or no bars during my stay. I also had a Verizon MiFi Hotspot and couldn't get a signal so not a great place to stay for business. Maybe it was just my room? I had a steak sandwich downstairs in the bar, it was okay. When entering the parking garage, there was a valet guy who told me to go down a level when there were quite a few open spaces and no Valet Only signs. So if you see one of those guys, just nod and park upstairs.

Room Tip: Ask for one where your phone will get a signal.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 21, 2011

This hotel is centrally located, clean, friendly, and excellent for business travel. The self parking garage can be a bit of a challenge but consider that part of the adventure.

I had dinner in the hotel dining room. It was fresh, interesting, and tasty. The small plates option is a plus, and the service was friendly a efficient. Thus, my experience there the next morning was a surprise. Like most business travelers I wanted to get a quick breakfast and be on my way. The host seemed very harried. I was relegated to the bar area. He poured a cup of coffee for me in a rush, then doused it with a huge dollop of cream from a big pitcher because there was not set up on the table. The promised server never appeared. I gave up after sitting there for 15 minutes. Manager, if you are reading this, please consider increasing morning staffing.

Overall, a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: October 2011
#1 of 6 in Pleasant Hill
Hilton Concord
Hilton Concord
#1 of 8 in Concord

Been to Walnut Creek Marriott? Share your experiences!