“Very good/only one glitch”

Walnut Creek Marriott
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Walnut Creek
Sacramento
“Very good/only one glitch”
Reviewed October 21, 2011

This hotel is centrally located, clean, friendly, and excellent for business travel. The self parking garage can be a bit of a challenge but consider that part of the adventure.

I had dinner in the hotel dining room. It was fresh, interesting, and tasty. The small plates option is a plus, and the service was friendly a efficient. Thus, my experience there the next morning was a surprise. Like most business travelers I wanted to get a quick breakfast and be on my way. The host seemed very harried. I was relegated to the bar area. He poured a cup of coffee for me in a rush, then doused it with a huge dollop of cream from a big pitcher because there was not set up on the table. The promised server never appeared. I gave up after sitting there for 15 minutes. Manager, if you are reading this, please consider increasing morning staffing.

Overall, a pleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Fresno CA
Reviewed October 18, 2011

This is the 3rd time I have stayed here this year alone, all on business. Having booked multiple room blocks for business events, I am always happy when I get to come to Walnut Creek & enjoy the Marriott with the rest of the group.

What I Love Most: The service, bar none, is the best I have enjoyed in any hotel. The staff is always helpful, no matter what you need. Everyone greets you whenever you enter or leave the hotel be it in the lobby, in the hallways & even out in the parking lot. I always feel welcomed when I stay here. The rooms are always clean and the housekeeping staff are all so professional in the event I happen to see them. I have stayed on almost every floor & side of the hotel and have not had any issues with freeway noise or noise from within. I always get a great nights sleep in the comfy beds.

The fitness room in fairly large & well equipped with machines that actually work. I have yet to see an out of order sign on any machine during any of my stays (this is my 6th over the past 2 years). The food in the restaurant is very good and the servers are so nice! It does take a little more time to get your order than one would expect, but that is the only thing that I could mention as a place for improvement - and even then it is not a big deal. I just make sure I have something to read if I am dining solo. I have not used the pool or hot tub, however I agree that the hot tub is rather small for a hotel this large.

As I sit here in my room at the hotel right at this moment, I am very grateful that it is so close to office I am visiting, down the street from the BART station, and within walking distance to some fabulous shopping & restaurants. We did use the hotel shuttle to get to a restaurant tonight - a shuttle we didn't have to wait long for and with yet another courteous, pleasant employee. If I need to be away from home for the week, this is the place that I want to stay.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise and are not used to traffic sounds, you might want to request a room n...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
California
Reviewed October 3, 2011

This hotel is located very near the center of Walnut Creek, just off the 680 freeway. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. We were on a high floor and looked out onto the parking lot! The bar area was large and accommodated a pre-party of about 50 people. We ate breakfasts there because there was a nice buffet, a large menu and they were delicious. Service was friendly and helpful throughout the hotel. The hotel has adjacent convenient parking on several levels and hotel entry off two levels. It's nice, but over 20 years old.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Hotel is squeezed into a space adjacent to 680. Our 6th floor room overlooked a roof top of vents, etc. Others would overlook 680, some towards Mt. Diablo. Pool is small, hot tub even smaller and both outside. Great opportunity to be enclosed and enjoyable year round. Concierge Lounge was very nice, morning and evening offerings were above average and staff helpful. Furniture a bit dated but ok. Parking garage is too small and spaces are very tight. Front desk area is also small, with only two staff working many times I stopped there was a line waiting. BART station is near-by, about a block away.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We stayed at the Walnut Creek Marriott at the beginning of September. We were in town for a friend's wedding. The service was good. The rooms were clean and comfortable. We ate breakfast there every morning because the food was delicious. The parking garage did fill up really quickly at night. We had to use the valet service a couple of nights because the garage was full, but they did not charge us for it since there was no where else to park. Great stay overall. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed August 24, 2011

When we first checked-in we went immediately up to our room, only to find our neither key worked. So we walked back down and Iris proceeded to give us an 8 minute lecture on how to use the card keys and where to store them and not to do this or that with them. She said we deactivated them by putting them close to our phones or credit cards. We said that we had them in our hand the whole time. Just the keys and the check-in brochure they gave us. She said we were wrong and we had done it. After we finally agreed that yes we did some how make our keys deactivate she gave us new keys.

We also asked her if there was a shuttle service to the BART, she quickly told us no and went back to work. So we got in the car, drove to the BART station and proceeded to drive around for 45 minutes looking for a spot. Discouraged we all agreed to go back to the hotel and walk back over. We parked the car and took a shortcut thru the lobby, that’s when I asked another person about a BART shuttle and she told me they do have a shuttle and it goes to 10:30pm. (Maybe she should tell Iris that)

Every time we came back to our room, the house keeper changed our room temperature to 75. We had it set to 68, because we all like it cold. No other hotel ever touched the dial while we were guests, so I thought this was very odd. Another odd thing housekeeping did was, lay out all our bathroom items on the sink. Think rows of items for a display. I personally don’t like it when strangers touch any of my stuff, so the next day I would throw it all in my luggage.

We had only planned on staying here 3 nights, but decided to add 2 more nights on to our stay. We stopped at the lobby on our way out and lucky us…. It’s Iris. We asked how much additional night’s would be and she asked for a room number. She quickly pointed out because we went thru Priceline (and there was a major tone when she said Priceline), we weren’t going to get any special deal. I said that was understandable and again asked what the rate was. She told us $225 a night and I said okay, since we were expecting as much. We were going to book it, but our shuttle had showed up so we would do it when we got back that night. Good thing we didn’t! That night we called for the shuttle to pick us up. They told us it would be 10 minutes, which was fine. The weather that night was crappy. It had been raining off and on, but the wind was strong and cold. 25 minutes go by and still no shuttle. We call again, we are told wait 10 minutes and it should be there. When he finally shows up, we asked if he was dispatched earlier and before I could even get the sentence out of my mouth he said “no. no. no. no”. Well thanks for listening to my whole question.

We got back to our hotel room, packed our bags and reserved a room with Crowne Plaza San Francisco. Rooms were a bit more, but the service turned out to be wonderful.
We did tell the manager at check-out and he did apologize and offer us free breakfast but that’s all he could do since we went thru Priceline. We didn’t expect anything, and we did turn the breakfast down.

Room Tip: Close to the BART and the hotel also provides a shuttle service.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank pretty-as-a-peacock
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We came here for a couple of nights for a wedding. The front desk staff was ok, but a little slow checking people in. The room was clean and fine - but it overlooked the atrium. Everything was a little dated. It was fine for a couple of nights for work or passing through, but nothing memorable.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
#1 of 5 in Pleasant Hill
Hilton Concord
Hilton Concord
#1 of 8 in Concord

Been to Walnut Creek Marriott? Share your experiences!