“Walnut Creek's best”

Va de Vi Bistro & Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Va de Vi Bistro & Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 302 Restaurants in Walnut Creek
Cuisines: International, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: North Main
Transit: Walnut Creek BART, free shuttle bus: route #104
Description: Va de Vi translates to "It's all about wine!" in Spain's Catalan language. Of course, it's all about food, too! Chef Brad Zeller's menu encourages diners to explore and share a variety of eclectic, international small plate portions. Bold tastes encourage diners to explore the large international wine list, easily navigated by tasting notes. Many wines are offered by the glass in addition to pre-arranged flights to allow diners to compare different wines and discover new favorites. A warm, casual elegance defines the ambiance. Outdoors, dine under an ancient oak tree or grab a table in the picturesque lane.
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Had a really good time ...the food was interesting and well cooked. Service was good. However, inside can be noisy. They should also expand their gluten-free offerings.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

One point off because it is overpriced -- tapas (small plates / appetizers) are normally in the $6-$12 range at many places. Here they are more like $8-$16. Wines are usually marked up about $20/bottle (at least for low end ones); the Guigal Crozes-Hermitage we ordered was $52 (retails for $22 at the store)

Having said that, I really did enjoy the food and the experience. Our "lunch" ended up lasting until dinner time (3 hours)! Unlike previous reviews, the service was excellent and had perfect timing with providing water, wine, checking in for more orders, and new plates/silverware.

Dishes we got were:

Mushrooms (very good)
Brussels sprouts with kimchi & asian pears (excellent)
Pork belly and chard ravioli (good)
Fried chicken thighs (excellent - some of the best I've ever had)
Grilled shrimp and polenta (just okay, not that great)
Soy-glazed alaskan black cod (excellent)
Pot de creme (pretty good)
White chocolate blondie (very, very good)

Overall a very nice experience, but a little overpriced, and the location in general really stinks. It's good in the sense that it is near the shopping, but the traffic and parking situation there is horrible. It took us like 20 minutes just to find a parking spot... in a garage a few blocks away, and the garage was completely FULL (on a weekday. In the middle of the afternoon) so we had to keep circling around until somebody left.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We were there on a very crowded Friday evening, never were rushed, food was outstanding and we had a wonderful variety of dishes, this was our second time there and we will return. Every plate was tasty and done perfectly. there were four of us and we all enjoyed the food and service

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Va da Vi continues to be a lively, fun place with creative, well-prepared dishes and interesting and varied wine offerings. As hectic and it can seem at times, I have always found the service to be friendly, informed and timely. They really make it all come together here. The space is attractive, with a lots of light and pleasant patio/garden-like setting outside. The space is quite narrow, with the main entrance on the side of the building.
Now to the food. This is the best small plates experience I have hadin Diablo Valley. My latest visit was for lunch and we started the meal with the carrot ginger soup shooter....a perfect way to awaken the taste buds . The little gem salad and beet salad were both good, the gem salad perfectly and lightly dressed. The mac and cheese was rich and comforting with a nice crusty top. like all good mac and cheese, very rich. 3 of us shared the dish. The trio of sliders were wonderful, with both the fried chicken thigh and the crispy pork belly truly exceptional. In my experience, a real strength of Va da Vi is that everyone can find dishes they like, and its a great way to try new things. Our server was very helpful in responding to questions and making suggestions, particularly to ensure a varied experience. And then the wine......try the wine flights. I am a pinot person and recommend the pinot envy flight. The sparkler flight (tiny bubbles) is not something I see that often and its a treat to see it here. For non-wine drinkers, the cocktails and beer selections have been well received by dining companions.
Be prepared for a larger bill than you may have anticipated. All the small plates and wine flights tend to add up quickly. I feel it is well worth it, but for me not a place I go to every week. When thinking about going here, its always a question of whether I want to spend that much on dining that day. Check out the menu and think about each person ordering 2 plates and a shooter, with maybe one more plate for the table. You could certainly order more, but we tend not to. Great and friendly service, lively vibe, creative dishes and interesting wine flights. Definitely worth a visit!

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I've dined here six times. While I enjoy the atmosphere, inside and outside, I find the food to be very uneven.

What we ate that we liked on our last visit:
Lechon (crispy pork belly (with rice cakes, pickled onions, sweet chili soy glaze)
Really rich, with an excellent profile.

Toffee bread pudding (candied almonds, brandy anglaise, vanilla gelato)
One of the nicest desserts I've eaten in any restaurant in months.

What we ate we almost liked:
Tater tot "poutine" (crispy yukon gold potatoes, bacon-short rib gravy, house pulled mozzarella, chervil) Comfort food. Nicely greasy and satisfying, but not something I'd expect from a chef.

What we would never eat again:
Grilled eggplant parmesan (san marzano tomato sauce, house pulled mozzarella, basil, parmesan.) Really poorly cooked eggplant, with nothing interesting about it other than the sauce was almost good.

Pommes frites (fried kennebec potatoes tossed with olive oil, garlic, and parsley) The fries were actually quite good, but the aioli dipping sauce was pathetic. It tasted exactly like mayo.

Seared dayboat scallops (cauliflower puree, raisin-caper emulsion, vanilla oil) The scallops were overcooked and flavorless.

Profiteroles (filled with your choice of pastry cream or vanilla bean gelato, served with apple spiced compote and caramel. I ordered the pastry cream with apple compote. The pastry cream was watery and the puff was not crisp. I make Profiteroles, I know what they should taste like. These were sad.

Overall, our server started out poorly, but recovered well. The food however, was even more disappointing then usual. I will never go back.