“Noisy and Cold”

Diablo Mountain Inn
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Walnut Creek
Reviewed July 20, 2008

I stayed here with my son for a college visit to St. Mary's. It was noisy. The freeway is literally 50 feet above your head. Even with the windows closed you could still hear the freeway. The air conditioner had to stay on the whole time and it smelled and it was noisy also. It is a very old motel that shares a parking lot with a retail store. I would not recommend even for the $83.00.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Trixylynn

Reviewed May 23, 2008

This is an older hotel in a convenient location. Despite its age, it has been consistently clean each time I've stayed here, over the course of the past few years. It is right next to the freeway, but I run the fan at night so I've never been kept awake by the traffic. The hotel is within walking distance of many stores and restaurants. It's less than a mile from a BART subway station ($5 cab fare if you arrive after dark); there's a 24 hour Long's drug store about a 15 minute walk away, and a Safeway grocery store a mile down the road. In-room internet access is $10 a day.

The free breakfast is minimal but adequate. The choices are cereal, fruit, hard-boiled eggs, and a bakery item (sometimes it's been danishes, other times it's been giant muffins). Since a previous poster complimented the fruit, I want to point out that the quality of fruit varies a lot. Sometimes the option is run-of-the-mill bananas/apples, and other times it's more exotic like papayas. Sometimes it tastes great, but other times it looks or tastes bad. For example, on this trip, the first morning there were bruised/unappealing looking strawberries and cantaloupe that actually tasted okay, but the second morning there was wonderful looking watermelon (tasted great) and papaya (brick hard and dry, not good).

When staying here, I've been in forgetable rooms and in cute rooms (one room has a rocking chair!), but I really liked this trip's room the best - Room 103. It is near the office on the ground floor. The room had a microwave, fridge, and a sturdy king-sized bed with TONS of pillows for only $80 a night! It was a great value and I would definitely recommend that room the most. The only thing I'd change about Room 103 would be to replace the lounging chair with a small eating table instead. There IS a small desk, but it's not really made for eating meals at. Other than having to sit on the bed to eat, I really enjoyed my most recent stay.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed April 28, 2008

Our family was directed to this motel by the hospital where my sister was recovering from an automobile accident. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. They were very sensitive to our needs and went out of their way to make this experience as easy as possible. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. We had a room with a refrigerator and microwave. This saved us money because we had soup and sandwiches and snacks in our room. The hotel offers a substantial contenental breakfast. We were pleasantly surprised by the quality and the selection. There was even fresh mango! the motel is located very close to the freeway and you can hear it outside, but we weren't bothered by noise and slept great. The beds were even comfortable!
Our stay was five days and included Friday and Saturday nights. We found that the other guests were generally business people and families, and had no problems with noisey neighbors. I HIGHLY recommend staying here and am thankful for the treatment we received during a very difficult time in our lives.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank imveronicamars2008
Reviewed May 28, 2007

We have stayed at the Diablo Mountain Inn before, generally in conjunction with visits to my mother in Walnut Creek. The rooms are nice and we love the breakfast they put out. This last visit, however, they outdid themselves. We stayed in Room 114, which is a nice room with a convenient alcove for suitcases at the back. The bed, however, was very hard and we lost sleep the first night. My wife and I are in the 50% of the American public who need soft beds. We mentioned this to the manager the next morning. She actually had a new bed from another room moved into our room the very same day! This we consider outstanding service.

Incidentally, we found out they will furnish earplugs for people who are disturbed by the traffic sounds from the nearby freeway. This little touch we consider very important.

On the whole, a very good experience at this motel.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank whitehorseCoarsegold
Reviewed December 26, 2006

For the past year I have commuted from LA to the SF Bay area, specifically to Walnut Creek where my office is located. I always stay at the Diablo Mountain Inn. I don't need anything fancy, don't need a "name brand" hotel, or one that is a carbon copy of hotels I've stayed in throughout the country. I need a place that is clean, quiet, reasonably priced, and takes care of my needs. I've read the other reviews on this site. I was not there on the weekends that others reported extreme noise, but in the past YEAR that I have been here every week, I have never had that experience at this hotel. I have also stayed in at least 70% of the rooms, including the rooms that are closest to the highway, and have never noticed the freeway noise. Perhaps that's because my windows are generally closed, and I sleep with the air conditioning on, but freeway noise has never kept me awake. It is my experience that this hotel is constantly working to upgrade itself, and the front desk staff works to make my stay pleasant. As my job continues to take me to Walnut Creek, I will continue to stay here.

Stayed: November 2006
4  Thank wildsage
Reviewed October 7, 2006

My wife and I stayed at this place when we came to the Bay Area recently to attend a family event. An unsightly garbage dumpster was placed right next to the only stairway available... and the room was decorated in what WE call "early hand-me-downs". If you want to be reminded of your college days you will feel right at home here. Especially when your experience turns out like ours:
A group of young people kept us awake most of the night as they partied loudly in a room near us.
We tried to notify the front desk of their craziness around 3:30 AM, especially when it carried out into the parking lot, giving us reason to believe that the partying young men didn't seem to be stopping at anything....yelling, banging on things. We were very unhappy to find after several attempts to reach the front office....There is no one there during the night! So if you stay here, keep this in mind. If you are a group of young partiers looking for a place to be wild...this place will be the perfect choice for you!
Otherwise... do as we will, and find a better place to stay even if it costs a little more. (We stayed at the Renaissance Stanford Court in The City the night before so thankfully had a wonderful time and a good nights sleep there).

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GeosanProductions
Reviewed September 29, 2006

My husband and I stayed here about three years ago (Sept. 2003) and remembered it as a very easy (and clean) place to stay. The decor leaves a lot to be desired with mismatched styles of furnishings, etc. You can park your car in front of your room, so you don't have to carry your luggage down long hallways like you do in many of the newer hotels (and wonder what is happening to your parked car during the night).
BUT if you are honestly looking for a place to get a night's rest, go somewhere else now....because we learned the hard way: When we stayed here this last time (Sept 2006) we were extremely disappointed. A very young girl (14?) checked us in. She didn't seem to know much about what was going on and left us waiting at the desk to take the housekeeper to a room to give her instructions. So.. it took about a half hour to get us checked in, which did give us time to see that the muffins left over from the day(s?) before were saran-wrapped and waiting to be presented to us and the other guests the next morning. (We made a mental note to go elsewhere if we wanted a fresh breakfast.)
An hour or so later, we wanted to take a rest before we left to go for dinner, but a group of loud rowdy young women, obviously drinking, caroused at a table outside our room near the pool.
During the night at 3:30 AM, we were suddenly awakened by the arrival of the guests staying just below us....yelling, knocking things over. We called the number on the phone in our room to report it and were met only with a phone ringing and no answer....same result when calling the "so called emergency" number. As the craziness below us accelerated, we became alarmed as heavy-set young men who appeared to be on drugs roamed through the parking lot, yelling loudly and looking for trouble. One jumped over the fence to the pool and rattled the gate, yelling like an ape. We were sure they would stop at nothing. We considered calling "911" but didn't want to have police at our door.
When we sleepily reported what happened the next morning, another young girl at the desk, Jerry, said a partial refund would be given to us...but, two weeks later, we have yet to receive anything. We had an important event to attend the next day but because of all of this (and as a result a lack of sleep), we had trouble staying awake the next evening. Unfortunately for us, in our haste to get out of this place, we left one of our bags behind...which when we called them, were relieved to find that they did find. They promised to send it to us ASAP, but have yet to receive it...OR our refund. We will never stay at this place again...it is a complete mis-managed mess!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
Renaissance ClubSport Walnut Creek Hotel
HYATT house Pleasant Hill
HYATT house Pleasant Hill
#1 of 6 in Pleasant Hill

Been to Diablo Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!