“Relaxing Stay”

Renaissance ClubSport Walnut Creek Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Walnut Creek
Reviewed December 22, 2009

We came here for a weekend getaway and had a relaxing time at the hotel. The room was a little small but nicely furnished. I also brought work with me so I used their free wifi and that was great. We ordered breakfast through room service one morning and it arrived promptly, and staff have great manners. The bathroom was spacious with a full tub and 2 shower heads. I requested a high floor and quiet room and that's exactly what we got. We didn't have a chance to use their spa/gym but heard it was good...maybe try it out next time. The restaurant food was good, not spectacular but good. Staff was friendly and easy to talk to. We had a great time and looking to come back in the near future.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Avrilx

Reviewed December 11, 2009

I have to say, this is the best and most convenient hotel I have ever stayed at. My job requires traveling and I always read reviews before making reservations. I am glad I read the positive review because they were very accurate.

The customer service is outstanding, from the moment you walk in, the valet parking employees are friendly and courteous. The front desk receptionist was great, the gym staff was great, the cafe area was great. The rooms were quiet and comfortable. The TV's are outdated but that wouldn't stop me from staying there again.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank lookforcomfort
Reviewed November 10, 2009

An excellent hotel with a fantastic health club is how this hotel is best summed up. The facilities are great and clean and the rooms are as well. The staff is friendly and the free happy hour served some excellent beer and snack food. I worked out in the AM and felt great about the trip after enjoying the town the night before.
The only downside is that they only have valet parking and you have to use it as there is nowhere else to park - convenient but an extra expense.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank travelsalotoo
Reviewed October 14, 2009

My friend & I chose this hotel because of the fitness center it offered and it's location. I was totally surprised at what a great location it was... 30 min from Oakland airport, 30 min from Napa & 30 min from San Francisco. We stayed for 4 nights at the hotel which was fantastic! Staff was super nice and accommodating- especially desk manager, night front desk and valet. We used the fitness center 3 times during our stay (can I say TONS of classes!!) and we ended our whirlwind tourist trip with an excellent 80 min sport massage!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank taocal
Reviewed September 12, 2009

I was visiting the Diablo Valley with my wife, son and daughter in-law for a family 50th birthday party at my bro's home. Thanks to the reviews on Tripadvisor I chose Renaissance ClubSport. It exceeded my high expectations.

I was looking for a quality hotel within a reasonable taxi ride from the location of the party (my family takes the word party seriously + my wife is Russian= I am not driving:). It was my son's and daughter in-law's first trip to the Bay Area, so I factored in proximity to BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) in case we had the energy to visit San Francisco the day after the party.

The whole "health club in a hotel" concept intrigued me. My wife, son and D'Law sleep late and I wake relatively early, so I thought the basketball court, pools, workout facilities, jacuzzis, steam rooms, saunas might come in handy in the mornings.

We arrived after midnight, but were greeted by the valet with a smile and excellent service. At the front desk, the courteous young woman quickly found rooms within close proximity when we found we had been placed in rooms on different floors. We were in our rooms within minutes and in bed by 1:00 AM.

The room was very clean and of ample size. The closet is roomy, although the doors are somewhat inconvenient. The TV is dated and, again, the cabinet doors can get in the way. The bedding was nice, though the bed was a bit softer than I prefer. That first night I found the bed annoying because every time I turned over (or got busy) the mattress and box spring creaked and squeaked against the head board. I finally discovered that the bed stood alone, unattached to the head board. I yanked the bed away from the head board and, wahla, problem solved.

The bathroom was, large, very clean, modern and well thought out. But we did have a significant problem in the morning. I was watching SportsCenter when my wife screamed. I ran into the bathroom where my stunning wife was standing in the shower pointing at a towel on the floor. "There's a spider, I think black veedow!" I carefully picked up the towel by a corner and held it out. Then my wife screamed again when we realized that the alleged poisonous arachnid was actually a tiny anonymous ball of human fur.

My wife is very petite, but she can be ruthless when upset. I did the hotel and the manager a favor and I approached the front desk myself. I am pleased to report that the manager quickly rectified the situation to our satisfaction.

From that moment until I accepted our keys from the valet more than two days later our experience was exceptional.

I read a couple of reviews belittling the hotel restaurant. I could not disagree more. The food was excellent and the service was impeccable. Similarly, reviewers were critical of the valet service. The valet service for us was as close to perfect as possible. Every time I needed the car, I called down and by the time I made my way downstairs, there was my vehicle with the valet standing next to an open door, smiling. They were always courteous and helpful if I had a question.

When I needed a taxi, the front desk would call me when it arrived. The taxi service that the hotel seems to use nearly exclusively was as excellent as we found the hotel to be. In fact, they almost seemed like hotel employees.

The health club is the feature that sets this hotel apart from its competitors. It is a first class facility in every way. Number one, it is spotless. The spa, steam room, locker room, pools, sports courts, workout rooms and common areas are well designed and comfortable. I literally cannot compliment this concept enough.

Finally, the proximity of the hotel to BART (directly across the street), makes this property the only one that I will choose when I visit my family and friends in the Diablo Valley in the future. In fact, in the future I will not bother to rent a car. Instead I will take the shuttle from the airport to BART and use public transit and taxis for the duration of my visits.

Bravo to the Renaissance ClubSport, management, employees and facilities. In my experience, I consider you world class!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank dancingrhino
Reviewed September 10, 2009

This has all of the amenities that you would expect from the Renaissance Hotels. The room was large, beautifully decorated. The bathroom was bigger than most and very clean. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. The property has 85,000 square feet of exercise facility, with 3 pools. There is a buffet breakfast (extra charge) that has all of the choices you could want. The staff was so friendly that it seemed like a small hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 1Michelle
Reviewed August 30, 2009

After getting fed up with the Embassy Suites not caring about the broken mattress in my room, I switched to the Renaissance Club Sport. The hotel is catty-corner to the Embassy Suites, so both are very convenient to BART.

The Embassy Suites have larger rooms since they are all suites with separate bedrooms and spacious living/dining areas. Also, the Embassy Suites are able to put the coffee maker in the dining area, not the bathroom (which I find distasteful).

However, the Renaissance Club Sport has reasonably-sized rooms with nicer furnishings and better quality bedding. The TV cabinet (armoire) is very attractive, with lighter wood and contrasting dark squares. The bed was very nice, supporting and comfortable. (The hotel does go way overboard on pillows, but I just stashed the excess in the closet.) There is a work desk with free wired and wireless "high-speed" Internet access (unfortunately rather slow, but it was free).

The bathroom was very nice: large, modern, with ample counter space and a nice shower. Little touches, like decorative weights and a gift-wrapped toilet paper roll, add to the ambiance.

The rooms lack a safe, which is surprising. They do supply bath robes, which is nice.

The attached health club is nice, with a half-Olympic pool (25 meters). It does get quite crowded at certain hours, with long lines on some mornings, and a lot of kids on summer afternoons (the water gets very murky late in the day). If you enjoy exercise, this is a terrific hotel; if you like to swim, try late mornings.

The breakfast buffet is free to elite members of the Marriott program, an extra $30 per room otherwise. I found it much calmer and less crowded than at the Embassy Suites, with similar items but presented nicer (better serving dishes, more pleasant environment).

In addition to the full restaurant, there is a cafe off the lobby that offers coffee drinks, smoothies, sandwiches, protein drinks, and so forth.

We found a terrific rate on aa.com which was pre-paid but fully refundable at the same price as the Embassy Suites, except for not including breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
#1 of 6 in Pleasant Hill
Hilton Concord
Hilton Concord
#1 of 8 in Concord

Been to Renaissance ClubSport Walnut Creek Hotel? Share your experiences!