“Sporty Hotel”

Renaissance ClubSport Walnut Creek Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Walnut Creek
Reviewed June 10, 2009

This sporty hotel is connected to a full state of the art gym! The rooms were adequately sized and very modern and the bathrooms were nice are large. I stayed here for a wedding block so there was a lot of socialization going around, however, I did not hear noise from room to room although I know there was a lot of socialization going on in the halls!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank suemagnuson

Reviewed March 21, 2009

Very nice hotel with an incredibly helpful staff. I had to get clients transportation to and from San Francisco and the staff could not have been more helpful. They also helped me get back and forth from downtown Walnut Creek to the hotel

The hotel is no older than 5-6 years and the rooms are very nice

The Renaissance is attached to a huge sports club that is filled with local Walnut Creek residents. A huge plus if you have to spend a few days in Walnut Creek

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 13, 2009

Rooms are spacious and well-decorated. Ask for one that does not face the wall of the fitness center for more light. Restaurant is good but selection is somewhat limited. On recent stays, cleanliness of restaurant and common areas was somewhat disappointing, but overall this is one of the best hotels in the East Bay.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed December 1, 2008

Overall, we had a VERY POSITIVE experience at ClubSport during our seven-night stay. Our room was always clean, the bathroom was mostly spotless (with only a few areas of mold on the tile above the bathtub), and our personal items left around the room were tidied up but never lost.

We liked that we were supplied with many more towels than we needed; asking for additional towels can be a real pain! And when you have a three-year-old, having a few extra towels for the inevitable mess is a good thing. Unfortunately, all the towels were shedding, so we had little bits of towel "rope" (big strands of lint) on us and our clothes after a shower. But that's really just a nick-pick, and not something that would affect our decision to stay!

Our only real complaint echoes the many other comments here about the valet parking. We were warned by the numerous TripAdvisor reviews revealing how poorly the valet service is managed, organized, and implemented, but that didn't prepare us for how terrible it really is. Not only are there not enough attendants during busy hours, but the vehicle-staging area is inadequate. It's apparent that the architects did not understand the logistics of valet parking when they designed the driveway!

Each night when we arrived, it would take several minutes just to get our car into the driveway so we could exit the car and leave it to the attendants. This was not a one-off experience--this happened EVERY NIGHT! And on several mornings, there were too many cars in the driveway for us to get to our car or to pull out of the driveway.

Moreover, the music in the driveway was played at such volumes by the night attendants that we could hear it clearly from inside our room while trying to put our toddler to sleep.

I complained the first night about the parking situation, but from the second night onwards, we just took it in stride. It's just part of the package, like it or not. Kind of like dealing with airline delays--you live with it. We were told that the only alternative to valet parking is to park our car several blocks away on the street where there are time limits. As hotel guests, we were not allowed to self-park in the garage where the spa and health-club guests park.

We had dinner by room-service on one night. It arrived quickly. The food was about as mediocre as you'd expect from a mainstream hotel restaurant, but certainly edible, and for us, better than going out to eat that night.

Oh, and the trademark of this hotel? "Delighted to serve." Every time the hotel staffers pick up the phone, they say "delighted" and "delighted to serve" as many times as they can. It'll either annoy you or make you laugh!!!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Anpanman
Reviewed October 18, 2008

I have stayed at the Renaissance ClubSport in Walnut Creek several times. On one occasion, I held a function there and had another half dozen rooms occupied by friends and family. I had no complaints from any of them.

This is one of my very favorites hotels *anywhere*...and I travel a lot!

I tell my friends to think of it as a huge health club with a boutique hotel attached to it.

I have to start by describing the health club. It is well known among locals as one of the most upscale clubs in the area. It is enormous and impeccably spotless. It's busy morning, noon, and night. It's incredible that hotel guests are given free reign to use *all* facilities and take *any* class for free. And there is every type of class you could imagine...aerobics, spinning, you name it. There are two pools -- one for lap swimming and one for classes and other use. I was working out on a treadmill one day and noticed a staff member pushing a cart around with ice water for the members/guests. WOW! That's a nice touch. You could even purchase a session with a personal trainer while there. I found myself inspired to work out more by the huge number of people using the facilities night and day.

The lobby area is inviting. Not so big as to be intimidating, but sort of intimate. The registration desk is a very casual affair, sort of like a desk placed sideways in the lobby. There is a lobby restaurant where I have eaten many meals. Most of the food is above average. The restaurant staff are young and energetic and friendly and seem to work very hard to please their customers. The breakfast buffet (daily) is a good deal.

There is also a coffee shop that has coffee, tea, and substantial snacks from early morning until the night-time -- including salads -- I'm guessing on the hours, but it's something like 6 am to 9 pm. I was surprised how often this came in handy because I didn't have time for a sit-down meal.

There is a business center with free use of computers, internet, and printers. However, the health club members use it, so sometimes I had to wait to get on a machine.

Parking is VALET ONLY and expensive -- like $18/night. It's possible to park on the nearby neighborhood streets, but watch the signs closely so you don't get a ticket.

There is a spa right in the hotel, with a boutique shop. I actually ended up buying a whole bunch of clothes there during a sale, much to my surprise. Have never tried their spa services.

The rooms are extremely cheerful and a little whimsical. The housekeeping is excellent, and believe me, I am *very* finicky! There is a little glass shelf with a piece of fruit in a bowl and spotlight on it as you enter your guest room; it's almost like looking at a still life painting...very restful!

The bathrooms are generously sized and nicely maintained. The sink has one of those bowls that sit atop the counter. Very modern and good lighting.

The only problem I had during my most recent stay was difficulty getting more than two bath towels -- there were two of us in the room, and on some days we got two towels, other days four, etc. We needed three towels, and often had to ask the housekeeping staff for the third towel. The towels are surprisingly thin and small for such a nice hotel; hopefully they will upgrade them some day. Also, we finished a roll of toilet paper one day, and there was no spare. That shouldn't happen. But these are small things.

The location is really not near anything on foot. It's in the far north part of Walnut Creek, almost in Pleasant Hill. However, the BART station is adjacent, and one can rent a car from Enterprise and they'll pick you up. Frankly, I found myself spending whole days and nights in the health club and hotel and not needing to go anywhere. The lobby is a very pleasant place to host visitors, business appointments, etc.

I found the staff in the hotel to be uniformly cheerful, welcoming, and accommodating.

The prices are high during the week, but much lower on weekends.

OK, so now I've spilled the beans...it's a rare find, almost a "best-kept secret" of the Bay Area. But hey, I can't be there *all* of the time, so you should enjoy it too.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vallelunga
Reviewed September 29, 2008

We used this hotel for our daughter's wedding party to stay in. Most of our family and friends stayed here too. It is a comfortable hotel with good beds. All the sports activities were available for our guests, and everyone enjoyed themselves. The staff went out of their way to make sure things ran smoothly. I recommend the Renaissance highly.

• Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed August 27, 2008

We stayed at CS Renaissance on a Saturday night, for one night. It was a busy weekend with a lot of soccer teams also staying at the hotel. The receptionist was kind enough to 1) allow an early check in and 2) move us to a floor that had less soccer teams booked, both of which were done at her own initiative.

Because the facilty is also a private health club, it was pretty crowded that Saturday afternoon, especially by the pool. However, we never had to wait very long for attention when we needed / wanted it.

Facilites are great, and we took advantage of the spa for massages.

Our room was nice: spacious with plenty of natural light. Great dual shower heads!

We had the buffet for breakfast at the restaurant downstairs, but I'd recommen ordering off the menu (eggs were dry from just sitting ther, and we sat for breakfast at 8.30am!).

Overall: a good night's stay, living to expectations.

• Stayed: August 2008
#1 of 6 in Pleasant Hill
Hilton Concord
Hilton Concord
#1 of 8 in Concord

Been to Renaissance ClubSport Walnut Creek Hotel? Share your experiences!