Renaissance ClubSport Walnut Creek Hotel
$148
EmbassySuites.com
  • Breakfast included
Orbitz.com
Walnut Creek Marriott(Walnut Creek)
$179
Marriott Hotels
  • Restaurant
Diablo Mountain Inn(Walnut Creek)
TripAdvisor
Motel 6 Walnut Creek(Walnut Creek)
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewshealth clubsports clubfitness centerfitness classesbasketball courthotel attachedbart stationsteam roomgreat hotelhotel guestsvalet parkinggreat gymhand weightsbig gymfull sizeclub membershotel gym
Reviewed July 6, 2008

I have never written a review on tripadvisor although I read other's reviews. I felt compelled for the first time to write given our nice experience at this hotel.

We just had a last-minute July 4th getaway to this hotel with another family. In total - 6 little kids and 4 adults. They were able to check us in early and allow us to check out late. The staff was incredibly nice and welcoming. They seemed to remember who we were and what our questions were from the previous day. The rooms were large with large bathrooms and modern. The health club was fantastic with excellent equipment, complimentary fitness classes, racquet ball and basketball courts, 3 pools, nice locker rooms etc... Because this serves as a health club for locals, the health club is not your usual hotel gym. We came to this hotel for the pools, warm weather, fitness center and value. We were not disappointed on any account.

The restaurant food was mediocre, and we actually liked the food in the cafe better which has reasonable prices for a hotel (again, probably b/c they serve the local clientele coming to the health club).

Besides the parking fee, there were no other fees - no resort fee, no fee for a fridge or microwave (which we requested and were able to get), no fee for internet access, no fee for using racqetball courts or borrowing their equipment... I highly recommend this hotel especially if you like to exercise, play sports,...

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank familytraveller25
Reviewed June 22, 2008

This must be the best Renaissance Hotel I've stayed in.

I normally stay in two to three hotels per week so the checkin experience, to me, is normally routine. The staff here went out of their way to welcome me, provide an orientation to the hotel and health club, and give me the best room per my requests (near an elevator).

The rooms are fantastic. Beds are extremely comfortable with great mattresses and high quality sheets. Air conditioning is super quiet. Bathrooms are beautiful. Although they don't have separate bath and shower, the bathrooms borrow some nice features from Westins: double high quality shower heads (with great water pressure), and sink and vanity that I wish I could use to decorate my own home.

The health club was nicely equipped. Lots of equipment plus squash courts, basketball courts and outdoor pool. Here I think it's important to say that it does not aim for the caliber of LA Sport s club or Equinox. The equipment and atmosphere are four stars out of five. Also, the pool on Friday was taken over by club members who brought in their children which helps if you bring your own children but might detract if you go as a serious lap swimmer. I had read another comment that staff carried around glasses of lemon water for guests - I never saw this nor did I see staff in any place other than behind the desk. I just wanted to clarify that while the facilities are nice the club doesn't pamper guests.

I enjoyed a great smoothie from the lobby restaurant.

A tip: Go to the hotel website and look over the fitness class schedule. With some homework you'll be better able to schedule your activities during the day. Don't be intimidated. The classes that I saw could all have been joined by new comers.

The only shortcomings I noticed: Some rooms on lower levels have a view of a cement wall. Really. The wall is so close and so high that you'll only see a slice of blue sky. Ask before you check in. Second, I personally dislike using a parking valet preferring the freedom to park the car myself. This hotel is valet only. On weekends the overnight charge was $15. This is nothing in the area so if you want to go out, you'll need to call for your car.

• Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank edsh
Reviewed June 18, 2008

I don't really have anything new to add to others' reviews-- just wanted to chime in to say that I LOVED this hotel!

We were in town for a friend's 50th bday party and my usual East Bay digs-- i.e. the friend's guest room-- was booked up. I am SO glad to have found this Renaissance property-- I may never stay at the friend's house again!

Every staff member I dealt with was friendly and helpful (without being obsequious.) The room was lovely, clean and modern. The bathroom was gorgeous. The free internet-- both wi-fi and wired-- was a great touch, though we used the business center's dedicated Boarding Pass computer to print our return-flight documents.

But the best thing-- the Sport Club! Basketball and racquetball/squash courts, classes, machines, gorgeous spa-like changing rooms, and the pools! Oh my. And all part of your room price! You simply cannot beat that if you have any interest in keeping in shape while away from home.

I'd go back in a heartbeat. I may not even tell my friend I'm in town... I'll just hang at the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2008

I went to Walnut Creek on business and everyone in the office recommended this hotel. Next to Manalay Bay, this is easily the best hotel that I've ever stayed in. It is a little costly but well worth it. The decor in the room is hip, the bed and pillows were extremely comfortable, the bathroom was pretty large and looked nice, and the hotel was clean. The staff was attentive and on-the-ball. I used the valet service while I was there and while it cost $18 per day, they hustled when opening doors and when retrieving the car. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to use the gym or pool. The pool area was very nice and pretty spacious. It seemed more like a resort than a hotel. Twice, I ate at the breakfast buffet and I was amazed by the variety available (omlettes, french toast, cereal, breakfast potatos, etc). It was also pretty expensive, however. One night I ate at the restaraunt (c-blue) and the food was pretty good. I had the Flat Iron Steak Wrap and it wasn't as good as the steak we have in the Midwest but still pretty good. I'd recommend this place for a business trip or a relaxing weekend.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank yman97
Reviewed June 8, 2008

Nice little hotel. Rooms are stylish and comfortable. Staff is very friendly and helpful. The attached health club is great - nice facilities, wonderful pool and sauna and it's free to hotel guests. Prices in the dining room are reasonable.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple