“Beware of tween night”

Renaissance ClubSport Walnut Creek Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Walnut Creek
Reviewed May 26, 2013

On the surface this is a beautiful hotel, clean, modern and spacious. There is a huge fitness center and spa as well as a nice outdoor pool. However, I do not recommend this place if traveling without kids. Our stay we overrun with noisy tweens slamming doors and speaking at levels that felt like they were in the room with us. I had to call the front desk multiple times in order to get them to quiet down. It may be good choice during the week when kids are in school but avoid if the tween convention is in town.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 25, 2013

This is a great hotel to stay at if you want to take BART to San Francisco. I had a training in the heart of San Francisco and did not want to pay for a very expensive hotel room or try to drive in SF. BART is directly across the street from the hotel and is easy to navigate. The hotel is very modern and has friendly staff. The only disappointment was having to pay for parking ($19.00) each night. The beds are comfortable and the room came with robes. I will definitely come back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I frequently stay at this hotel when traveling to the area for business. My experience has been consistent each time I visit. All of the staff is friendly, engaging, and helpful. The property is clean and inviting. The on-site restaurant definitely needs improvement both in terms of service and menu, especially given there are not many options within walking distance. There is also a very popular health club on site which makes the common areas very busy at times. The spa is just okay, it is reminiscent of day spa with small rooms and little faciliites. Not a very relaxing experience.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Shocking! The Marriott Renaissance brand is know for luxury and refined service. This was NOT the case when staying for business. I could hear toilets flushing in the rooms to BOTH the right and left of me. Youth over wisdom? The help I encountered all seemed hip, young, and lack listening skills. Many mistakes made in ordering and delivering food in their restaurant. The pool area was unattended. Do not be fooled. The Spa and health club facilities are geared more towards neighborhood residents than guests. It was like being a the New York or Washington Sports Club--not a facility catering for hotel guests first, and residents second. The photos are deceiving on the website. The hotel backs up to a freeway. Megga road noise. Avoid this hotel like a plague of locus.

Room Tip: The tip is not to select a room at this hotel. As for the food. Small portions. One waitress in the...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

I expected quality befitting the hotel's brand and name. What I got was disappointment. The room door didn't close on its own but stopped short of being latched. The shower was pathetic with water wasted into the tub but not flowing out of the shower. Restaurant service was slow. There were no outlets near the bed. When I brought the shower and door to the attention of the hotel there was an apology but no offer of compensation for having less than I'd paid for. Lastly the parking service was poor. Not having my car when promised and not getting it right away when I arrived. Don't stay here without calling to see if these issues are resolved.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have the added benefit of a comfortable hotel with a great fitness workout. The pool is much better than anywhere else I stay on business. The fitness center is amazing! Our company had a reception there and the food was healthy as well as appetizing and full of flavor. Not your usual veggie tray and chips! The doorman greets you like you are a long lost friend and the front desk staff are very helpful. I had to take a cab at 5 am and they were on top of it for me. I am looking forward to my next trip because this hotel makes the trip more than a business trip.

Room Tip: Massage therapist at the spa made the stay even more relaxing and enjoyable!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Our family stayed here two nights, towards the end of March 2013, to visit Fisherman's Wharf in SFO and tour a nearby university. Having read the reviews of other travelers, and being limited by our budget to stay in Fisherman's Wharf, I decided on the Renaissance ClubSport in Walnut Creek. The hotel, I thought, would be perfect base camp to do both. Overall, I was very pleased with our decision and stay, and found it a good value.

The hotel is quite nice and features a bonus of having complete access to their exercise facility. We, unfortunately, did not have enough time to use it, so read other user's comments on their input. We also did not have the opportunity to eat at their restaurant, though we browsed at the menu (and the prices) and decided that our family could find better value off-site.

As other travelers have mentioned, the hotel is one block from the Pleasant Hill BART Station. This was one of the key features that guided my decision to choose the Renaissance. This would allow us an alternative access to the city without having to drive there, find parking, and pay for inflated parking rates. As Southern Californians (from LA), we, well maybe, me, enjoyed using the BART. This was the first time my kids have ever used public transportation and they found the experience a unique one. As for value, it cost us $20 per person, round trip. One (especially, my wife) could argue that there was minimal $avings using BART, though, as the primary driver, I was very pleased that I didn't have to drive, fight traffic, have three backseat drivers and navigation experts, and, on top of that, find reasonable parking rates at Fisherman's Wharf. For those not wanting to pay for the hotel's daily valet parking fee of $19, an alternative could be to use BART's parking lot. Here's their link http://www.bart.gov/stations/phil/. It's very reasonable. We didn't use it this time so you'd have to weigh the pluses and minuses.

As for the rooms, we opted to pay for their "Parking Package". I thought it was a good value for this Marriott brand. Our room had two double beds, was very comfortable and clean. It had all the amenities that one would expect from Marriott's higher-tier brand. The bathroom was large, had two shower heads, and most importantly, clean and sanitary. The only call-out I have for their design team, though, very minor, is regarding the nice iPod docking radio-clock: it had an LCD-type display that cannot be easily read in the darkness. An LED display would have been better choice. Finally, the one feature that downgraded our overall satisfaction with the stay was poor (Wi-Fi) internet connectivity in our room.

Wi-fi is a basic essential that, if one markets and packages as a room package, better work well. Besides a user's data plan from their wireless phone company, the only other option is using a wired, ethernet connection. I'm not sure if our room was on the edge of the access point but we experienced poor internet connectivity throughout our stay. If I had been traveling on business at that time, I would have quickly complained to have it fixed.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
#1 of 6 in Pleasant Hill
Hilton Concord
Hilton Concord
#1 of 8 in Concord

Been to Renaissance ClubSport Walnut Creek Hotel? Share your experiences!