“Very nice clean hotel, but some service screwups”

Renaissance ClubSport Walnut Creek Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Walnut Creek
McLean, Virginia, USA
“Very nice clean hotel, but some service screwups”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I had a few service issues here. I called from the BART station. I got there at night, so it was a little harder to find my way. The person who answered gave me very bad directions, and had me head the wrong way. I finally gave up on them, and found my own way. Then I checked in, and got to my very nice clean modern room.

I ordered room service at 10:30pm. They somehow didn't submit my order, and called me back at 11:30 to tell me the kitchen was now closed, but that to make up for it, they would comp what I ordered now (pre-prepped food, like sandwiches). My salad was still available, I was told. When the food got there, at midnight, it was the wrong salad, with the wrong dressing. They also neglected to bring the water I had ordered.

The service was very polite. The room was very comfortable. I just think that they should easily be able to direct you to the hotel from the BART, 2 blocks away, and get the meal right.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BairdWallace

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed July 30, 2012

There are so many things I like about this hotel.

The Renaissance Clubsport is really special. First of all, it is just a short walk from the BART so it's easy to go to/from OAK and SFO and the hotel.

Front door staff and valets were extremely friendly and helpful and I was often referred to by name, which I like.

Rooms were always clean and had good products. Plenty of outlets for computers and chargers which is important. And, the best, I am not kidding, hotel internet connection I have seen in my 8 years of business traveling. Rooms have a mini fridge, three dresser drawers, and closets have lots of hangers. Iron, ironing board and full size blow dryer are in each room. Lots of channels on the 32" flat screen too.

One of the best things about this hotel is the fitness center. It has a full blown fitness center as big if not bigger than a LA or 24 Hour Fitness Center with lots of machines, classrooms, lap pool outdoor and indoor spa, indoor steam and sauna and clean locker rooms and digital keypad locks for the lockers. They also have a spa for mani-pedi's massages, etc.

And finally, the food in the restaurant was great. Plenty of heathy and some not so health choices on the menu with plenty of things that kids can like. They have a shrimp Mac and Cheese that is outstanding. The breakfast buffet was great with awesome fruit and the best pineapple that I have tasted in the states. The will also make pancakes, waffles, omelets and eggs any style if you don't want the scrambled eggs in the buffet. Wines were great, especially the 14 Hands Merlot.

All in all, it was a great place to stay.

Room Tip: All rooms are good in my opinion.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank chandler760
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 30, 2012

My wife and I are fitness enthusiasts and we were really pleasantly surprised with this hotel. The lobby is very small and the hotel almost seems secondary to the gym, but the hotel was up to the Renaissance's lofty standards with comfortable, attractive rooms. But the real star of the property is the ClubSport gym. It one of the best, most upscale gyms I have ever been to. The restaurant featured healthy options but had more standard restaurant fare as well, and had a great (if pricy) smoothie menu. The valet parking was a nice touch.

The hallway lights and the light in the room between the door and the bathroom were on motion detectors, a nice green touch. We had a problem with the motion light in our room, though. In the middle of the night, something reversed in the switch (maybe the flux capacitor didn't get enough jigawatts) and the light would switch ON after a minute without motion. This was pretty annoying at 3 AM. I called the front desk to get help and it couldn't have been more than 90 seconds before someone arrived at the room to fix the switch. He fixed it in 2 minutes and left. Peaceful night sleep was thus restored. Very impressive.

Room Tip: The gym is free for guests. Even if you are not a regular gym-goer, there is something in the gym fo...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I had my wedding party of about 40 rooms staying here over the past weekend, and I couldn't be happier with the hotel, the level of service from everyone from the bellhops to the valet guys to the front desk, to the sales team (yes! even the sales team!). My wedding was in Pleasanton, which was about 30 minutes away, and the hotel did everything they could to make my day awesome.

If you are staying anywhere in the East Bay, I couldn't give this hotel higher marks. It also helps that it is right by the Pleasant Hill Bart, so you can come directly from SFO to the hotel using BART and then rent a car in Walnut Creek, which is often a lot cheaper than renting at the airport.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dhc905
Dallas-Texas!
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I would rate this hotel extremely high. Great, upscale, safe location just a 1.5 blocks off the freeway in Walnut Creek, but far enough away to not hear any noise. On one side you get wonderful views of Mt. Diablo. All the staff including the valet guys, the front desk, everyone is friendly, helpful, and professional. The rooms are very clean, and well put together. What this hotel is excellent at is the "little things"; like having more than enough quality towels, more than enough quality pillows, double shower heads with enough water pressure, shower drains that drain properly, built in electrial outlets/chargers for cell-phones, laptops, i-pads. The rooms aren't huge, but not small either, just right for a couple. Nice trendy hotel bar with sittting areas with comfy couches and chairs. Sweet bartender Alexandria. The hotel also has a wonderful workout/gym facility with basketball court, volleyball court, large outdoor heated pool with lifeguard. I have stayed at great hotels like the Bellagio in Vegas and this hotel is "on top of it's game" in the same way as the Bellagio is. Whenever I am in the Walnut Creek area this will be where I stay from now on.

Room Tip: Ask for a 5th floor room with a Mt. Diablo view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ItsZep
Incline Village, Nevada
Reviewed May 31, 2012

If you or your company can afford this place, you like to work out or take fitness classes, enjoy delicious healthy food, and you need to BART anywhere, this is THE place to stay. I was on a business trip and brought my wife, after seeing the rooms and workout schedule she wanted to move in! I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Billy F
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We enjoyed our stay here and it's great value. The rooms are a good size and the gym is amazing. Breakfast/brunch is also very good and not expensive. The matresses in the rooms are not quite up to the standard of other more luxurious hotels, which is why I would say the sleep quality is only average. Overall though this is a very good hotel - modern with excellent amenities and very convenient for Walnut Creek and the surrounding areas. One small caution: If you are flying out of SFO on a weekday morning, allow plenty of time to drive to the airport as the rush hour traffic heading into SF over the Bay Bridge can be pretty dire.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
#1 of 5 in Pleasant Hill
Courtyard Pleasant Hill
Courtyard Pleasant Hill
#2 of 5 in Pleasant Hill

Been to Renaissance ClubSport Walnut Creek Hotel? Share your experiences!