All reviews olympic park anz stadium train station vending machine attending a concert short stay comfy bed buffet breakfast public transport convenient location royal easter show event parking brewery venues conference nrl
Selected filters
Reviewed April 13, 2019

OK, I get it. You have a big event like Michael McIntyre's show which is going to attract a certain demographic and you want to make the most of the commercial opportunity. The room rate was a lot higher than usual - supply and demand - but $40 parking?
Anyway, as it was my wife's birthday we thought we'd treat ourselves. We arrived in the afternoon to be told that the bar was not able to provide coffee and cakes as usual "because of the event". Instead we would have to order off the bar food menu (presumably because it's easier to cook fish and chips than it is to take a muffin out of a display case).
Then there was the constant battle to find a place to sit although there were acres of space on the empty dance floor (it was only 5pm so that wasn't in use) . The aroma wafting over from the nearby buffet (shared with the Novotel) was less than enticing and there was no a la carte option (unless you count "take it or leave it") so we walked around looking for somewhere nice to meet our friends and fellow concert-goers.
Look, Olympic Park is what it is and it was Saturday night so we weren't going to get the pleasant bistro experience we'd been hoping for. We should have done our research better. After frantic phone calls and texts to our friends telling them to eat before they came, it was back to the bar for "sea creatures and fries" - I kid you not - as the queue for bar service lengthened back out into the lobby.
Ironically, on our way to the concert, we passed a Bengali food festival. Shame we hadn't known about that earlier. Anyway, the room was fine, and the front desk service efficient, even taking into account the event supplement, but we won't be back.
I understand how hotels and restaurants want to make the most of boom events like this. But you do it by putting on more staff at the same time as you hike your prices. You don't do it by limiting people's choices then charging more for them.
Get some chairs and tables out of storage when customers are having to eat their dinner off their knees. Don't force us to eat from a buffet if we want a table - but by all means charge us for wanting something a bit less ordinary.
It was a great night of comedy, but the food and drinks options at the hotel were beyond a joke.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Nathan C, Manager at Ibis Sydney Olympic Park, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2019

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the ibis Sydney Olympic Park. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Sam G, Front Office Manager

Reviewed April 11, 2019

Its been a while since I've written a review but this experience has made me stop and take the time to write this.
One night stay and I am thankful I am only here one night. $324 price tag for a room that was so tiny, I didn't know we had rooms this small in hotels in Australia. Somehow they managed to fit in 2 single beds and a wall length desk.
Check in was super fast and efficient - Tick
But that's about all I have good to say.

I went to order room services. The phone rang and rang no answer. I hung up and tried again, success someone answered. Wasn't the welcoming customer focused experience I had experienced at check out. The person on the phone was rude and abrupt. Maybe it wasn't my night, but my first two options on the menu were not available. Finally settled on schnitzel. Ps. if you want fries/chips, they are an added extra $10.00 for the smallest bowl of fries/chips. The most unhappy employee I had experienced so far then tells me it will be a 45-minute wait. By now I was starting to see this was not going to be my night. I was ready to cancel my order and head downstairs to the local McDonalds.
Meal arrives, ewww I was very underwhelmed. The slaw on the side was like a pile of purple gunk that had sat on the plate for the full 45min under a heat lamp. Fries not bad, but not worth the price tag.

I was tempted to put in a room service breakfast order but thought I would head to the restaurant in the morning, maybe I would have a better experience there.

As I settle into my $324 a night shoe box, time to venture to the bathroom. I wasn't expecting much, hey least it lived to my expectations from what I had experienced of the Ibis so far — dated, dated, dated and mouldy. This bathroom needs serious renovation. Should I tell you about the urine smell that started to filtrate through my room throughout the night, it was like the smell you get from a public toilet on a hot summer day.

Ok sleep on my single bed.

Time to venture to breakfast. If you've not lost interest by now, the experience doesn't get any better. Thought I would save you reading the rest of my rant.

Open my door to exit my room; oh look there is my room service tray, still sitting in the corridor. Hmmm, appetising. The slaw still looked limp and uninviting.

Before I got there, I almost had a fall on the torn up carpet that seriously needs fixing or replacing before someone hurts themselves.

Buffet breakfast, the wait staff take me to a table for one. Looked like the people before I had just left and someone had removed their dirty items, but there were crumbs on the table. I'm ok with this; I'm not a germ-phobic person. But what got me was the wait staff used they had to brush the crumbs onto the floor. Least she was kind enough to offer me a coffee or was that part of her job. Food, was ok, a decent choice of items. Finished smashing the buffet, oh look at that no coffee arrived. I really couldn't have been bothered to follow it up, I was so over this place by now.

Then to really make mine over expense, underwhelming, very disappointing stay. There was a $40 overnight parking fee.

What disappoints me the most is this is such a poor representation of the Accor family. I stay with Accor at least once a month. This place is like a poor cousin leaching off a reputable brand for its gain without any thought for its guests.

Date of stay: April 2019

Dear Davo2012,

I am sorry to hear of your recent stay experience and that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Ibis, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problems you raise in regards to your feedback.

We appreciate your sharing your concerns, we will be acting to make the necessary improvements immediately.

Sam Grasso

Reviewed April 6, 2019

I have always had pleasant experience at Novotel SOP.
The reception and restaurant staff are welcoming and cheerful and the level of service never disappoints.
The facilities are good, the beds super comfortable and the hotel is very convenient to the station, ANZ stadium and other restaurants and services nearby. The precinct is generally quiet leading to a good night sleep.

Date of stay: April 2019
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel, we value all feedback and appreciate the chance to improve upon our guests experience.

We are happy to know that you enjoyed the location and that you received great service from our staff. I will be sure to pass this positive feedback onto our Front Office Team.

Thank you again for your time and review, we hope to welcome you back to our Hotel in the near future.

Kind regards,

Sam G

Reviewed April 1, 2019

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed March 29, 2019 via mobile

Stayed one night for a concert at Quodos. Check In extremely fast, parking a breeze. Very friendly staff. Good clean room and very comfy bed. Room is small but perfect for one night. Short walk to venue. Would definitely stay again

Trip type: Traveled with friends