“A very well managed hotel”

Ibis Sydney Olympic Park
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 4, 2009

After return to Australia following the Socceroos in UAE and Qatar, with side trips to Jordan and Egypt, we booked the $65 winter special room at Ibis O.P. for the final game in that series (against China) at Stadium Australia. The contrast from the mostly gruff, inefficient and poor service standards of the Middle East to the welcoming, friendly and attentive treatment from the Ibis staff was like chalk and cheese. It was great to be back in Australia, and to get a very clean and modern room with friendly service... And this was the cheapest place we stayed at during our 3 weeks away! The location was obviously fantastic, being just across from the stadium, but even so there is the train line there as well so getting around is not a major hassle.
We have booked ourselves back there again next month for the Aust vs Uzbekistan WC qualifier, and I am looking forward to my stay once again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Accor_Hotels_SOP, Area General Manager at Ibis Sydney Olympic Park, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2009

Dear cbead,

Thank you for your posting and for choosing to stay with us . I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Ibis Sydney Olympic Park, and we look forward to welcoming you back on 1st April. Hopefully then you will have the opportunity to enjoy the many leisure activities surrounding the hotel.

I am especially pleased to hear that you found our staff to be welcoming, friendly and attentive. Our team is one of the most important assets and thus crucial in making your stay relaxing and enjoyable .

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again in April.

Have a wonderful day.

Kind regards,
Ms Lorraine Mercuri,
Area General Manager

Reviewed February 8, 2009

We got an event package as we were attending an event there at Olympic park which included breakfast. The lobby is nice and the bar is good and well priced. The bar food looked good although we didn't try it. The restaurant only had a buffet on for dinner which was very expensive and the down stairs bistro had a limited menu and was packed after the event. Room service menu was very very limited. We ended up leaving olympic park for dinner as there are not many options other than fast food.
The breakfast was okay, standard hotel buffet. But NOTHING was labelled. They have a self serve epresso coffee machine with 4 different types of coffee but I had no idea what was what. The juices weren't labelled, but weren't too hard to figure out. None of the breads were labelled either.
The room was very basic and reminded me of a Motel F1 room. There is no mini bar, but a vending machine on the floor. The "King" bed was just 2 singles pushed together. The air conditioning was struggling to cope and the room was quite warm all night.
In the end you really are just paying for the convenience of staying at olympic park close to your event as the room was very basic and there is very little around there.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank oztravman
Accor_Hotels_SOP, General Manager at Ibis Sydney Olympic Park, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2009

Dear oztravman,

Thank you for your posting. It is unfortunate that your experience did not meet your expectations. On event nights, we need to alter the way our food outlets operate in order to serve as many people as possible without anyone missing the start of their event. Our restaurant team are looking at ways to reduce the cost of our event buffet without limiting the choices available to our diners. Because our kitchen is busy preparing food for the buffet, we are forced to limit the Room Service menu as well. Our standard Room Service menu does offer more choice. For dining options, there are approximately 15 restaurants and bars in the Sydney Olympic Park area including the five managed by the hotels.

The breakfast buffet has labels on the glass above the bowl for the various muesli and yoghurt options, and the Nespresso machine has a sign describing the four choices of coffee available. The juice dispensers have a bowl beside the tap with an apple, half an orange and the top of a pineapple showing which juice is which.

Our Ibis rooms were refurbished six months ago with new carpets, new paint, new beds, new bathrooms and new flat screen televisions. The rooms are 20 square metres, which is larger than standard Formule1 rooms. The King-zip bed is used in a few of our rooms so that we can offer twin bedded rooms if required, due to the high occupancy on the night you stayed we had a high demand for King bed rooms.

The weekend you stayed with us was unusually hot, but if your air-conditioning was not working correctly you can contact our Reception staff and our maintenance team will look into any issues with the system.

Sydney Olympic Park offers many leisure activities, from swimming and tennis, to a golf driving range, archery lessons and a trapeze school to name a few. I would like to welcome you back to Sydney Olympic Park on a non-event night so that you can experience the area to the full. I believe that you would have a completely different experience.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you again in the not too distant future.

Kind regards,
Ms Lorraine Mercuri,
Area General Manager

Reviewed July 1, 2008

This is the second time I have visited this Ibis, and wow what a difference. The hotel has just been done up with a lick of paint, new carpets, flat screen TV and even new beds. I was on the 5th floor which gave me a view to the city skyline which was quite unexpected (last time I was on the other side of the hall looking at the Aquatic Centre & Stadium).

My wife & I shared a room with our daughter which was ok, there was enough room for our bags & to move around the beds... I have had worse.

I had no idea how much there is to do at Olympic Park. We visited the visitor centre & hired bikes and explored paths through bushland and an old navy store. We had a swim at the olympic pool, took a tour of the stadium which is really well done, and even had a go at archery. My daughter wanted to try the trapeze too but chickened out when we got there.

We ate in the hotel restaurant which was nice, the pub downstairs has bistro food (which my daughter preferred) including some really good salt & pepper squid. We also tried some local restaurants suggested by the hotel staff.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed September 15, 2007

We came back from travellng around Australia and tried the Ibis whch was cheaper than the Novotel. Clean rooms, great restaurant and the staff are excellent. We were always greeted and nothing was a problem. This is a great hotel. Thank you again Ibis and Novotel. You should come to Europe to show them how it is done.
Cecco

• Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed February 8, 2007

Good location if you have a car and need access to Sydney's western suburbs. Plenty of parking although only 2 hours during the day and evening. Also, if there is an event on within the complex parking could be a problem. We found parking overnight on the street OK. If you want to completely avoid the risk of parking fines, you can park in the hotel carpark for $20/day or across the road for $15/day. The hotel is a standard Ibis ie comfortable 3 star - clean standard sized rooms. Airconditioned. Hairdryer. Iron & board provided. No in-room safe. Have to say the bed was a bit less comfortable than other Ibises we've stayed at. Reception staff are shared with the Novotel next door - they are efficient and very friendly. A Sofitel is being built next door so Accor will then be able to cater for all comers. Overall, good value esp if you book via their website.

• Stayed: February 2007
Reviewed August 3, 2006

We stayed in the Ibis Homebush Bay for a convention. Staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. The rooms were very good and had all you could hope for. Quite clean. We enjoyed a full buffet breakfast downstairs in the dining room. The hotel is right across from the train station so very handy. Restaurant downstairs and casual dining at the Brewery. McDonalds and Muffin Break also in the same building. Limited room service. Very happy overall.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank sjedwardss
A TripAdvisor Member
Sydney NSW
Reviewed September 24, 2005

My partner and I stayed there for the night, because she had a function to attend at the Superdome. Imagine my horror when I turned down the covers and sat on the bed, only to find that the mattress was wet. I rang housekeeping and, about 20 minutes later, there was a knock on the door. I opened it to find an employee with a bed on wheels, wanting to roll it into the room. Now the rooms are relatively small in the Ibis, but to expect us to sleep on a single bed was a bit over the top.

Another call to reception and this time I told them I wanted a new room, because I wasn't prepared to stay in this particular room - 407. I was then offered an upgrade into a smokers room in the Novotel. No thank you.

Eventually we were moved to another room. The next morning, I had a flight to catch so I left early and my partner checked us out when she left a couple of hours later. The thing that really browned me off was that, when she checked out, reception was less than pleasant and offered her no apology at all. I'm sorry but that's just not good enough Ibis. The experience dampened my desire to stay at an Ibis or a Novotel in the future.

Stayed: September 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sydney Olympic Park
0 mi away
Novotel Sydney Olympic Park
Novotel Sydney Olympic Park
#2 of 4 in Sydney Olympic Park
Ibis Budget Sydney Olympic Park Hotel
Ibis Budget Sydney Olympic Park ...
#4 of 4 in Sydney Olympic Park
Mercure Sydney Parramatta
Rydges Parramatta
Rydges Parramatta
#3 of 4 in Rosehill

Been to Ibis Sydney Olympic Park? Share your experiences!