“Ibis is an Ibis”

Ibis Sydney Olympic Park
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Same as most Ibis'. Decent staff, clean rooms, very basic so overpriced. I stayed in late January and rooms were over $210 per night. There isn't even a bar fridge, just some stupid thing that keeps drinks a cool, by no means cold, temperature.
On their website it is advertised they have a swimming pool, but they actually mean, pay us $4.50 and we will give you a pass for the pool all the way down the road.
The tv's are old, fuzzy and crappy.

Housekeeping is a PAIN in the neck! Every morning they come knocking at yelling at 9am! It doesn't matter if you put the stupid 'I'm asleep' sign at your door, you can hear them knocking and hollering next door. So if you like to sleep in, this is not the hotel for you!!

We had an issue with our tv and they didn't come to fix it within 15 minutes so we got that night for free. So at least they keep that promise. But be careful, they tried to get out of it by claiming someone already came to the room (which they didn't as I waited with the door open).

$200+ a night is pretty pricey for such a basic hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Accor_Hotels_SOP, Guest Relations Manager at Ibis Sydney Olympic Park, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Dear Carly B,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay. Please allow me to address your points individually, in the hope to provide some clarification for you and future hotel guests.
Your comments regarding the bar fridge not being a fridge are correct; they are absorption coolers. We are currently looking at updating the coolers to fridges to eliminate the misconception.
The Accor Hotels website does have a swimming pool icon under the practical information. When your cursor is placed on this icon it states “Indoor & Outdoor heated- Paying- Nearby”. We are sorry that you may have missed this. Saying this however, I have noted that it can be overlooked by guests if they were not to do this and taking appropriate measure to rectify. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Due to our guest’s privacy and security, it is procedure for housekeeping to announce themselves prior to entering a guest room. You will find that it is common practice in all hotels to start servicing guest rooms from 8.30 am onwards. I will be sure to pass your comments to the Executive Housekeeper requesting staff to do this with minimal disruption to guests.
Please accept my sincere apologies that you encountered issues with your television, we do hope that the complimentary room rate as part of our 15 minute guarantee was suffice compensation for the inconvenience.
Again, we appreciate your feedback as we continually strive to improve our service and facilities.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I have stayed here before for work commitments and now feel after a couple of stays I could give it a proper review. The location is ok, if you really need to be in and around the Olympic Park. Check- in is always quick and easy, the rooms are very, very basic and not up to scratch for the price charged. Beds are ok, not the best but not the worst. The bathroom was not fully cleaned with hairs on the floor plus the extraction fan in the shower is in need of a major clean.
I found the walls to be very thin, I could here everything and everyone around me. Upon questioning if breakfast was included I was told "no" , upon furthur investigation I found it was included then questioned them again. They looked a little furthur and found it was indeed included!! This was now clearly noted as I was getting up early for a flight and didn't want the hassles then. I checked out then proceed to breakfast where you guessed it, I was told I wasn't on the list and asked to fill out a Breakfast slip to be charged, I then told them about my previous conversations with reception. The staff member then checked another list and there I was....Breakfast included!!! The Breakfast was good, very over priced for what you get, ive gad breakfast at the major chain of hotels which was outstanding for far less than this. To add to all the little hiccups , I arrived home and called the Hotel Ibis to say I had misplaced an item and could they look for me. The took my details as the room hasn't been cleaned and would call me in the next half an hour.....not heard anything from them, I certainly had no confidence after the breakfast run around. I see many areas at this hotel that need improvement, especially with follow ups and administration. Would I stay here again???...I would say NO, I would certainly try another in the area next time that charge about the same.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank ozzieollie
Accor_Hotels_SOP, Guest Relations Manager at Ibis Sydney Olympic Park, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Ozzieollie,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such a detailed review.
It appears we did not measure up to our usual standard on this occasion. Please be assured that I have shared your comments with our management team to ensure we are delivering the highest standard of service, consistently – In particular, with regards to bathroom cleanliness, confusion surrounding your breakfast inclusion and lack of follow up on you misplaced item. You will be pleased to know that we have recently fitted the entire hotel with brand new Ibis Sweet beds.
Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like me to assist with your misplaced item or should you wish to return on guestrelationssop@accor.com.
We do hope to have the opportunity to restore your confidence in our service and welcome you back.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Accor_Hotels_SOP, Guest Relations Manager at Ibis Sydney Olympic Park, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Reviewed January 19, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Accor_Hotels_SOP, Guest Relations Manager at Ibis Sydney Olympic Park, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Reviewed January 9, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Accor_Hotels_SOP, Guest Relations Manager at Ibis Sydney Olympic Park, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed here over New Years to watch fireworks from Sydney harbour. WE knew Olympic park was a bit far out from Sydney, but the train station is literally 5 mins walk from the hotel and the trains are very frequent, so it's not a problem. I like the location, so quiet and peaceful (at least it was when we stayed) and spacious, set in parklands around the Sports stadiums. Some trains go direct to the CBD, otherwise you have to change at Lidcombe, make sure you get a time of the last trains from Lidcombe to Olympic Park.
THe hotel is very modern, basic and clean, Staff were very helpful and friendly, my only comment is that the rooms and walkways have a "backpacker" type feel to them. The rooms have boring white walls, no colour or artwork which makes it somewhat like a student dormitory. However, this is just a small point,as the rooms are quite modern and clean, overall we were pleased with our stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Tegman,
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay at Ibis Sydney Olympic Park. It’s fabulous you visited Australia to watch the New Year Fireworks in Sydney; it truly is an amazing show.
It was nice to read that you enjoyed the ‘quiet and peaceful’ location. Whilst we are located only 14 kms away from the CBD, it indeed is very peaceful on New Year’s Eve compared to the city.
Thank you again for your review. We look forward to your return, when your travels bring you back to Sydney, Australia.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

My fiance and I stayed in a standard King room for one night, on the second floor.

The Good:
- Location! We were there for the cricket at ANZ Stadium. The main stadium is literally less than a minute away from the hotel - could not be more convenient!

- Cleanliness of the room, bathroom, linen and towels

- Friendly and efficient staff. At one point we had a minor problem with the TV in our room, which was resolved with a 20-second phone call to the very helpful reception staff

- The shower has a proper shower screen, so the rest of the bathroom floor stays dry, which makes a nice change from many other hotels!

- Delicious breakfast. Good selection of cereals, toast, pastries, fresh fruit, juice, and hot dishes including mushrooms, bacon, eggs, hash browns, sausages and pancakes

- Modern, neutral decor in the rooms

The Bad:
- Our "King" bed was actually two singles pushed together, which made it slightly uncomfortable to sleep

- Some mould in the shower

- Would have been lovely to have a larger selection of pillows in the room

Overall:
The Ibis shares reception and restaurant with the neighbouring Novotel, and is a clean, convenient and usually more affordable option. Will happily stay again!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Accor_Hotels_SOP, Public Relations Manager at Ibis Sydney Olympic Park, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Dear LucyTheNerd,
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review regarding your recent stay at Ibis, Sydney Olympic Park. We are pleased you enjoyed your overall stay with us, however disappointed to read the bad.
Please allow me to individually address your concerns in hope to offer some clarification for future reference.
Our guests at times do require separate bedding. It is for this reason, certain guest rooms have beds that can be zipped and unzipped to accommodate various bedding configuration. Mould in the shower is unacceptable and this will be addressed with the Executive housekeeper. We offer a selection of pillows upon request only. We are currently in the process of having the pillow menu printed with the pillow options that are on offer.
Thank you again for your time and we look forward to your return in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sydney Olympic Park
Novotel Sydney Olympic Park
Novotel Sydney Olympic Park
#2 of 4 in Sydney Olympic Park
Ibis Budget Sydney Olympic Park Hotel
Ibis Budget Sydney Olympic Park ...
#4 of 4 in Sydney Olympic Park
Shilla Lodge Hotel
Shilla Lodge Hotel
#2 of 4 in Strathfield
Mercure Sydney Parramatta

Been to Ibis Sydney Olympic Park? Share your experiences!