“Enjoyed both tours”

Outside Expeditions
More attraction details
Owner description: Tour company offering multi-day kayaking and camping expeditions in Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland.
Buchanan, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Enjoyed both tours”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

We went out kayaking with Outside Expeditions twice. The first tour we went on was the Beginners Bay tour, and we had a lot of fun observing the water birds. We could see the hawks diving for fish. We also went by a mussel farm. On another day we took the Harbour Passage tour. This was a longer tour, and there was more wind that day, so it took a bit more exertion. We could see the houses on the shore, including our bed and breakfast. We went by beautiful sandstone cliffs and saw a bald eagle. I would definitely recommend Outside Expeditions.

Visited August 2012
3 Thank Eileen L

Revelstoke, BC
“Great experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

I've been down to PEI every summer for the last 7 years and always go on a paddling trip with Outside Expeditions. It's always a great experience. The location is gorgeous; I don't think you could find a more beautiful place to kayak on PEI. The staff is friendly, professional, and very safety-conscious, and the equipment is in good condition. The pricing is consistent with other kayak operators around the Maritimes and cheaper than on the West Coast. The Beginner's Bay especially is a great trip to do with your kids or first-time kayakers. Tons of birdlife and a new perspective on a working fishing harbour - pretty cool.

Visited July 2011
2 Thank Revypaddler
PEI
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best thing to do on PEI!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

Do the Harbor Passage Tour! Great staff, friendly, relaxed and professional!
The other review about the discount policy is ridiculous, as they said, it was a good tour.
The prices are great to start with, the fact that a small business like this offers groups discounts is very generous!
Red cliffs, blue sky, clear water.... amazing! And you must walk the plank post-tour!
Will be in my memories long after I return home.

Visited September 2011
2 Thank w0rldtravala
Vancouver, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“We tried hard, too bad they didn't!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

Went to Outside Expeditions in North Rustico PEI over the weekend with a friend of mine who was visiting from Calgary Alberta. I had called and asked about renting Kayaks in advance and was told that it should be no problem and that I could take care of everything upon my arrival.

We arrived on Saturday around lunch time with a simple request to rent a kayak either a tandem or two singles. When we walked in it seemed like they were having some problems because there were some people waiting to go on a tour and some people trying to get info from the booking desk as well as someone being dealt with on the phone who was seemingly quite upset...This unfortunately was all being dealt with by one person.

We waited patiently while the individual dealt with the other issues one by one. Now it was finally our turn to get organized to go out Kayaking or so we thought. I inquired about renting kayaks to which I was told you needed to be experienced, my response was that years earlier I had actually spent a summer working at Outside Expeditions and I had spent an additional summer teaching kayaking in Whistler BC. I was told this didnt matter and we wouldnt be able to rent Kayak's. This was completely contradictory to the brochure, website and phone call I had made http://www.getoutside.com/rentalrates.php
When I asked if there was someone else who could help make this happen or change this decision I was told that I could call someone else but that he didn't know this persons number and he had to leave on a tour, after some negotiations the number surfaced and I was told that the shop was being closed but I could use the phone to call this person who may be able to help us but that even if they allowed us to rent the kayaks no one would be around to fill out the paperwork or take payment!!!

We left drove down the road and rented some far lower priced albeit very basic recreational sit on top kayaks. With which we had no problems and proceeded to have a wonderful afternoon on the water in the sun.

I remember when working at Outside Expeditions that it was an amazing place to go kayaking and that the experience was absolutely paramount. Unfortunately this was not reflected in my most recent experience.

Hopefully they can pull it together and make some improvements.

Visited August 2011
2 Thank AlexfromPEI
Montreal
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Unfair charge for intro. kayaking trip”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

We booked a trip for a group of six people and were quoted $32 per person for an hour and a half trip. However we arrived in two groups of three and I paid for the first group not realising the price that had been agreed by someone in the second group. It turned out the company charged us all $40 each becuase we paid in two groups of three. When the 2nd cgroup objected they were told that that was the company policy. I think this was an unfair practice by this company and would not go back to them. A pity becuase the trip was quite enjoyable.

Visited August 2011