“Not Worth What We Paid”
Review of St. George Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Volcano
St. George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Volcano
Vallejo
“Not Worth What We Paid”
Reviewed February 8, 2011

This was the letter we wrote to the owners; did not receive a response, which tells me that they don't really care.....

We stayed at the St George Saturday night and I wanted to let you know what we thought of our stay. My husband and I stayed years past when it was a dumpy little place. You all have done a marvelous job of fixing things up and it was nice to stay in a clean room! However, the mattress in room 18 definately needs replacing as the springs were making themselves entirely too familar with my hips!

Additionally, I was disappointed in the food Sunday morning. According to your website, you offer a brunch Sunday mornings and what was offered instead was a very simple, but good, buffet of eggs, breakfast meats, potatoes, biscuits and gravy and coffe and oj. Plus we had to pay for that. I would not have mind paying for the brunch, but if you are not going to provide what you advertise and serve something different, guests should be offered some kind of compensation, besides a nominal discount, especially after paying $120 per room in the off season. Very disappointing.

Otherwise, nice place, but not sure if it was worth the money we spent.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank feannie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Sacramento
Reviewed January 31, 2011

$175 a night!!!!--No coffee, no TV, no hair dryer, lumpy mattress, cheap bed linens. Bad rotting food in refrigerator outside room. Eeeeeewwwww! Minimal management presence.
And NO restaurant despite what website says. Found restaurant was closed when we checked in.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington State
Reviewed September 24, 2010

Volcano is a very small (half a horse) town, but very very cool with lots of old buildings, an outdoor theatre, saloon, two old hotels, and boy does it get jumping Friday nights. I missed the action though, I went to bed early after driving all day. I did do a walking tour that has signs to follow and historical monuments and artifacts which I enjoyed.

ST George hotel is very very cool. Very old, high ceilings and incredible staff. The Rough and Ready room I had is very tiny, a closet really, but then I didn't pay very much for it either. (59.30 with tax) it is a twin, with a very very hard bed, had to keep turning to get the pressure points relief. The shared bathroom is way way down the hall. That isn't so good middle of the night when I am trying to avoid the ghost they say haunts the halls. Never saw him but I admit to being a bit creeped out. hah I found I was the only guest on that floor though so really had the bathroom to myself. It is a lovely, clean, boutique type hotel with pretty gardens, seating areas and wrap around balconies on each floors. I didn't try the food at the restaurant, I had gone to a grocery store and stocked up, not realizing my collapsible cooler will leak - all over the floor of the rental car, and of course I couldn't put it on the hardwood floors of the room so I had to leave it outside on the balcony and move some stuff to a mini fridge in the common area, they offered a small shelf to me. So I had to eat up! They offered to give me ice for my cooler, but couldn’t find anyone the next morning when I tried to check out. Someone took my key about 9am so I could leave.

I spent the afternoon at the St George, reading and writing on the large wrap around second floor balcony, in the shade in a comfy old wicker chair. I shouldn't have but it was so nice and peaceful, a lovely afternoon. I say I shouldn't have because what I wanted to do that day and night was the Black Chasm tour and the wine bar that evening and there was a play, and many other goings on for a Friday night. I was too tired and the peacefulness of sitting on the balcony in the dappled sunshine was just not to be missed. I recommend as a previous reviewer did, eat at the Union Hotel, I had a small order of fries to go, but they had great cold beer. See a play at the outdoor theatre and enjoy the music at the wine bar of an evening. I did step into the wine bar for a minute, and was greeted by more than one patron. I was just too tired to stay and enjoy the live music. I would stay again when I had more time.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Cambria, California
Reviewed August 2, 2010

I have to admit that I was a little taken back when I first saw the town of Volcano. The St. George pretty much IS the town. Or so I thought at first. We book the Jerome room in the annex. At first I thought I might be missing the real experience by not staying in the old hotel, but it was very hot when we were there and the air conditioner in the annex was very efficient and quiet and I enjoyed it. The room was also away from the surprisingly busy road and so was quiet.

The first night we at at the St. George Restaurant. I had the Philly Cheese Sandwich which was about the best I've ever had. My wife had a salad and liked it. Not extrordinary, but good. There web site menu was not what was available and I was a little disappointed that the BBQ was not available.

Breakfast the first day was a plate of fruit and muffins sent to our room the evening before. The next morning there was quiche, fruit, sweet rolls, muffins, juice and coffee in the dining room.

The St. George Tavern is a happening place. Lots of locals keep it busy. Good drinks and reasonable prices. Many people were eating in there.

Next door is a very fun wine bar and pub. The owners were so friendly and the second night they had a really good musician playing country/folk music. We enjoyed that a lot.

The second night we at at the Union Hotel, a block away. The restaurant is only open 2-3 nights a week but the food is really special. They also run the Taste restaurant in Plymouth. It is surprisingly high end food for such a tiny, isolated town.

Several times a year there are open air plays across the street from the St. George. They have a really nice amphitheater there and I'd love to come back when a play is running. They were rehearsing while we were there, but not performing. An ideal weekend would be to stay at the St. George, eat at the Union Hotel, have wine at the wine bar, see a play, go back to the St. George Tavern for a night cap, then drift off to sleep at the St. George.

This is a great place to go if you want peace and quiet and a good central location to explore other towns like Sutter Creek, Amador City, Plymouth and more.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Silicon Valley, CA
Reviewed December 28, 2009

I don't know what was more relaxing... the drive to the St. George or the stay itself. It is exactly as advertised. You can go B&B style, or full hotel services.

The food was excellent, and the price much less than what you would pay for the same quality elsewhere. I travel frequently for work so I have become pretty critical of flaws in service. This was a refreshing change. The family of all ages enjoyed it, too.

The staff was friendly and personable. We'll be back for a longer stay.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Sierra Foothills
Reviewed October 11, 2009

This hotel was built in 1862/3 and retains a lot of its old charm, as does the town itself. We went there with two other couple for a weekend motorcycle outing. The town of Volcano is in the middle of some of the best riding in the northern Sierra Foothills, so it was a great location for something like this.

The rooms vary in size and price. Most of the rooms in the main hotel share common bathrooms, but a couple of rooms have their own modern baths with combination tub/showers. We aren't talking granite and tile here, it's acrylic tubs and Linoleum floors, but the baths are clean and comfortable.

The rooms are decorated with older-style furniture that fits the building. Our bed was a four-poster that was a bit soft but quite comfortable.

The floors creak and the interior walls are thin, but the building was quiet in the evenings we were there, and we slept well. You can go outside on the porch and enjoy the view from the wrap-around porches of the second and third floors, a neat feature.

There's a large parlor downstairs with a fireplace. The second evening we were there, there was a regional power outage, and the staff lit candles and built a fire and several of us sat in the parlor talking and drinking wine well into the evening.

We had dinner and brunch in the restaurant and both were quite good and fairly priced. There's an adjoining bar that also has good food. The staff were friendly and helpful.

The room prices are a bit high for what you get, but it's probably fair when you take into account the historic nature of the building. There just aren't many places like this, so it's probably worth the premium for the unique experience.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Manteca, California
Reviewed May 21, 2009

We had the pleasure of eating here last week, except for the service being a bit slow, the food was quite good. We will probably return some time in the future.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Volcano
Pioneer Inn & Suites
Hotel Sutter
#2 of 2 in Sutter Creek
Best Western Amador Inn
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jackson

Been to St. George Hotel? Share your experiences!