“Would Not Go Back”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Vista
El Paso, Texas
“Would Not Go Back”
Reviewed August 1, 2010

We stay often at La Quinta, and generally like the chain. We chose this location because it was the closest to all the places we wanted to go in the San Diego area. When we got to our room, there were cookie crumbs on the table. Unlike most La Quinta's they do not have a newspaper available, and the breakfast was a joke. We tried their breakfast two of the three mornings we were there. The first time we were there early enough that they had an adequate supply of food, but no napkins, and they would not have put out anything for napkins had we not asked. The other morning we ate there, we got there at 8:45 (breakfast available until 9) and there was almost nothing there - no yogurt, no orange juice, no cream cheese for the bagels - the only thing in the refrigerator was milk. Next time we visit the area we will have to find a different hotel. We tried to enter the lobby in the evening to pick up supplies that were missing from the room (soap, kleenex) through a side door and our keys would not work so we had to walk around to the front door. The desk clerk said that they were the wrong locks, but the doors would be open in the morning. One last note: on our last night at the hotel, there were several very noisy children running around until at least 11:00 PM, and they were noisy during the day, also.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
los angeles
Reviewed July 30, 2010

Oh wow, this was one of the worst stays ever. Depressing, ugly room right next to the freeway. The carpet was kind of greasy. I may have been able to sleep a little if the A/C hadn't been so loud. There was no way to turn it off or keep it on, so it came on/turned off randomly all night with such a loud noise that I got no sleep at all. The manager then would not give me a refund so I have taken it up with my credit card company. I moved to the Best Western in Escondido and had a much better experience.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 25, 2010

I booked 2 beds, non-smoking on La Quinta on line site . When arrived at 11 PM with my tired children I found the room had only one bed and my children couldn't breath because it was a smoking room. Plus the room has the old musty smell from cleaning the carpets too many times. The clerk said her screen showed 1 bed smoking and I showed my email says 2 beds, non smoking. She wouldn't help at all and left since there were no other rooms. Drop by the Courtyard in Carlsbad and said most hotels in San Diego county are filled and called many hotels until he found a Hilton for us.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
StLouis, MO
Reviewed April 10, 2010

Do not make the mistake of booking a night's stay at this hotel if you've been spoiled at some of La Quinta other stellar locations , I don't think you'll be very happy here. The best word to describe it would be "dingy". An old building that has not been remodeled in a long time. Features and trimmings are gaudy. Everything from popcorn ceiling to room furniture and bathroom is yelling "low class" and "outdated". I had stayed at several La Quintas before this stay & had become accustomed to a certain level of quality with the hotel chain as a whole. My experience at this location left me sorely disappointed. If you are okay with a slightly better than Motel6 experience, then maybe this is not a bad choice. Otherwise, spend the exra $20 bucks and stay at a decent place the next time you're in Vista. On the positive side, the hotel still offers the staple benefits that make LaQuintas so popular. Beds were comfortable, internet connection was strong, breakfast had an excellent variety & dogs are allowed. 3 stars is an appropriate rating. This hotel is just average- not horrible, but won't impress you either.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Tucson
Reviewed February 18, 2009

Our hockey team from AZ spent booked four nights but checked out early because of numerous issues. Rooms smelled of smoke although they were suppossed to be non-smoking. The rooms were not very clean. Alot of vehicle traffic and people loitering in the parking lot late at night. My children found used condoms in the parking lot. Someone tried to enter our room at 2 a.m.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Tracy, California
Reviewed January 14, 2009

We stayed at the La Quinta because it was between Legoland and The San Diego Wild Animal Park. Check-in was friendly and easy and the king suite was very roomy. But the fold-out couch was very worn out. There was rope under the mattress in an attempt to replace long lost springs. The rope did nothing to improve the worn out saggy mattress. So we folded the bed back up and my son slept on the couch. (after we had to call down for bedding because there was none in the room).

The nights are chilly even in San Diego in December but we were unable to run the heater because it clanged every time we turned it on.

Monday morning, bright and early, we were awakened by loud voices near our hallway. It seems management has some sort of morning meetings on our floor in one of the king suites.

I will say that we were credited for a night because of the lack of heat.

The staff was friendly and courteous but I would not stay here again.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 7, 2008

I see that the reviews for this hotel have been somewhat erratic, but I have nothing but good things to say about it. I've never stayed at a La Quinta Inn before, so I had no idea what to expect.

At check-in, I was greeted by a friendly attendant who quickly switched my Expedia reservation to a room with a king bed. The room was very spacious, extremely clean, and well-appointed. There was a fridge which would have been helpful had I had a longer stay. The bed was comfortable.

I appreciated plentiful, free parking. It was most helpful to have free wireless internet access. I enjoyed the 10% discount at the adjacent IHOP. The pool area looked nice, though I didn't go there. I enjoyed some fresh bagels, milk, and apple juice from the continental breakfast. And I enjoyed the free local newspaper.

Of specific value to me was the fact that the staff allowed me to come back later in the day and spend several hours in the lobby working on my laptop, even though I had already checked out. And they let me come behind the counter and print out my boarding passes, at no charge.

This hotel isn't very fancy and doesn't offer many bells and whistles, but it offered everything that I needed. And I especially appreciated the graciousness of the staff. If I come to this area again, I'd love to stay here again and am happy to recommend it to others.

• Liked — free parking, free wireless internet access, cheap price, great staff
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vista
Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad
La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Carlsbad
Hampton Inn San Marcos
Hampton Inn San Marcos
#2 of 5 in San Marcos

Been to La Quinta Inn San Diego Vista? Share your experiences!