“BEWARE!! Kennel or Hotel?” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Quinta Inn San Diego Vista

La Quinta Inn San Diego Vista
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Vista
Santa Barbara, California
“BEWARE!! Kennel or Hotel?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2011

Checked in late and given the last 2 double bed room which we had reserved. Smelled atrocious of dog pee. Told night clerk we couldn't stay in the room. He gave us a king sized bed with an easy boy recliner chair, (yes, no roll away available). My wife and daughter slept on the bed and I in the reclijner. By the way DID I MENTION THE CLERK CHARGED US EXTRA FOR THE "UPGRADE" TO THE KINGSIZE BED!!!!

Got up in the morning to find out we didn't have towels. Only a bathmat, 1 hand towel and 1 washcloth. Carpets are stained even if they don't smell. STAY AWAY !!!!

In their defense, morning manager comped the room. Won't trust that 'till I see my credit card statement.

Room Tip: Check out your room first before you accept it. Might take a few rooms until you find 1 acceptable
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank ingoodtasteonly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

After staying the nearby LaQuinta in Carlsbad, we expected the same great accomodations and we were disappointed in EVERY way. When we walked in the lobby, the desk clerk (Emmy) was too busy complaining to the housekeeping staff about a customer who wanted clean sheets and towels to even acknowledge or greet us for several minutes. When she did, she was rude, rude, rude!!! We booked a non-smoking room and when we went up to our room and opened the door it reeked of cigarette smoke! We went downstairs to request the non-smoking room we paid for and were told that was all they had and if we didn't like it to call Expedia because they couldn't help me. Luckily, I did call Expedia and after they called the hotel and spoke with Emmy, they understood the problem and quickly cancelled the reservation and refunded my money. I tried to call the phone number listed on the manager's business card (Bismark Leasau) and the number was out of service! I would strongly caution anyone against booking a room here. Drive a few miles and save yourself the trouble. Worst LaQuinta I have ever been to.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank AZDiveGirl

Travelers are raving about these Vista hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

We are moving back from Nc. Got in late first place we saw- decent over all for a quick one nighter only major complaint would be the parking. We have a trailer & there is really zero parking.
Also for accepting pets the room was good- very clean. Compared to a few we stayed on the way.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank iggywiggly
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2011

This hotel was a good choice for us. We were heading to Legoland and needed a hotel for two nights that would take our dog. It was $85 a night and included a continental breakfast. The breakfast was good...yogurt, fruit, muffins,and bagels coffee tea and juice. We are a bacon/eggs family so we were hungry in a couple hours after but not a bad primer to get going.
Room was fine. Two great beds. Linens were clean. You could tell furniture is not new...but not bad. We heard out neighbors at night...also another family with kids. I think its because the rooms had those connecting doors which lets more noise through, as we did not hear our other neighbors on the other side.
Service was good...everyone said hello and we got a call 15 minutes after we arrived from the front desk to ask if we needed anything (I thought that was nice).
All in all this is a good hotel for a inexpensive weekend to take our daughter to Lego land.

Room Tip: Hotel guests get a 10% discount at IHOP next door
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank valerieslopez
Stanwood, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2011

I am a motorcycle rider and take several long distance trips a year and stay in hotels rather than tents so needless to say, I am a frequent customer to hotels.
I arrived at the La Quinta Vista California location on Wednesday the 25th to spend one night. The reservation process was very easy and worked well as I called to make my reservation. I was a bit surprised that the military discount rate was more expensive than the regular rate? However, I did get a decent rate with my AAA discount. When I arrived to check in, the person at the front counter was dealing with a sales person from Chase bank who wanted the manager to speak about opportunities with Chase, I know this because I waited approximately 5 minutes while this discussion went on with no contact with me as a paying customer. Once I was checked in, I was pleasantly surprised that I could park my bike right outside the room, this was very convenient. When I went in the room, it had a strange smell and the appearance was that it was very old, however, this was fine with me. I went to turn on the air conditioner and the plate which identifies the switches and their functions was missing. I am somewhat familiar so it was only a minor inconvenience but would be major for others. I went to access the internet and discovered it was not working. I could not even be seen on my device, so I called the front desk and was told they could not help and I had to call tech support. So I did and after 20 minutes, no luck, the tech did not know why it was not working. I am very good with computers and know there was no signal in the room. I went without until I checked out and accessed the internet in the lobby. This was a major inconvenience for me. At approximately 2:30am a couple above me began fighting, yelling and screaming. I could tell they were either drunk or high on something. Now, I should have called the front desk and I did not, so this is not entirely the hotels fault, however, by this time there were several people in the hotel and I cannot believe someone did not call? Regardless, this went on for about a half hour and continued off and on until 3:45am. Needles to say I did not sleep well at all. Again, this was not completely the hotels fault and I understand that, however, still feel something should have been done if the front desk was notified and seems odd if they weren’t? Lastly, the hot water for the shower only dribbled when turned on full, the cold side worked very well, so my shower was Luke warm and did not have very much pressure. This really ticked me off.
So you can see it was not just one item but several which made my experience with this hotel terrible. I do not plan on staying at this hotel chain ever again unless there is absolutely no other option nor will I recommend to any of my many cycling buddies!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Bigloof
Niteroi, RJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2011

The reality of the hotel does not correspond to the information we found in tripadvisor.com regarding the year of 2010. We stayed from febuary 19th to 27th (2011). We made a terrible choice by choosing this hotel.
Although we asked for 3 non smoking rooms they gave us rooms that smelled like cigarretes. My daughter asked to change her room 3 times and even so the rooms still smelled the same. When she tried to complain in the front desk, the woman was very rude and impolite. She was even smoking almost inside the lobby and blew the smoke in our direction. Then my daughter decided to leave the hotel.
The smoke detectors inside the rooms seemed to be blocked by a tape.
We saw people smoking everywhere in the hotel area and the girl in the front desk said it was always like that (bear with it).
Besides the hallways didn´t have security cameras and anyone could enter without beeing noticed. The elevator used to take a lot of time to arrive, open and close the door and depart.
The breakfast was mediocre: There weren´t any hot items, decaf coffee and we had to get the bread with our own hands (ps.: the bread was in their original plastic bags, just as they came from the supermarket wich was disgusting). There was just one bread type and the milk was served in gallons. It wasn´t a continental breakfast as they said.
The security door that connected our hallway to the lobby was broken.
The hot water from the bathroom sink wasn´t working and the water from the shower suddenly would turn cold while it should be hot.
The hotel, unlike the others we went, didn´t accepted travel checks for payment.
La Quinta never more.
Concluding it was a smoking free hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank luizrbraganca
North Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2011

Lets just say now I have to buy two new mattresses and box springs, had a room for my teenage sons on the 3rd floor (320) the weekend of 2/12 and they brought home bed bugs. Thanks La Quinta, next time staying 2 miles east on the 78 at the Marriott Residence Inn. As my 7 year old called it, "I like the places with the hallways on the inside." You get what you pay for. Spend the extra cash....

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank BigAG75
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vista
Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad
Residence Inn San Diego North/San Marcos
Hampton Inn San Marcos
Hampton Inn San Marcos
#2 of 5 in San Marcos

Been to La Quinta Inn San Diego Vista? Share your experiences!