“Don't Call” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Vista
Los Alamos, New Mexico
“Don't Call”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Never stayed there. Might be a fine place, but do not call. The person who answered took my information then quoted a rate of $69 and pretended they didn't know the web price. Offered to lower it to $59 (web shows $45). This troubled me so I went elsewhere.

So don't call, just book through any of the various web interfaces and hope for the best. Ironically, I called because I assume the net bookings cost a commission and I might save the hotel a buck or so. Silly me!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Dave N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is really an old-fashioned, family road trip motel, and I am really glad we stayed here. The beds, while firmer than I'm used to, were comfortable enough and clean. The bathroom, clean. The rest of the room, clean. The price? Low, low low. Pool was well-sized and clean, no overwhelming chlorine smell, with enough furniture for mom and dad to hang out while the kids splash. There were windows in every area of the room (even a small privacy window in the bath), so there was lots of natural light. AC unit was kind of loud, but on low all night, it helped make sure we weren't awakened by any of our neighbors (they seemed to be mostly small families and business travelers, but I'm very sensitive to sudden sounds, so the AC was a help to me). As with any motel, I recommend not being barefoot but wearing socks or sandals around the room, because, come on, people come right in off the street outside. Our room was nonsmoking and did not smell of smoke, but there was an ashtray outside. The staff were super nice, friendly, and helpful, explained everything and answered any questions we had. Surrounding neighborhood was working class, not "scary" like some people said on the travel sites. For eats, try the dinner just across the parking lot, Sal & Ceci's, or head across the street to the supermarket.

Yes, the Franciscan Inn is dated, but if you just consider it a "classic" from the '70s, you won't be disappointed. If you want a way to save money on an old-fashioned family road trip, close enough to the beaches, wine country, and all the rest of the exciting things SoCal has to offer, stay at the Franciscan (and have some delicious pie at Sal & Ceci's--it's to die for!).

Room Tip: Ask all the questions you want at the desk, make your concerns and wishes clear, and they will be as...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TeachBrooklyn
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed here when the San Diego HIghland Games were going on. Other more expensive hotels were booked and it was last minute, so we went here. It was easy check-in. The room was in a timewarp of the 70's, but was super, super clean. Quiet! Will stay here again!

Room Tip: 153 is on the second floor and very clean
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jennifer J
Southern, Calif.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

This is a very affordable place with decent amenities. There is a refrigerator and microwave in each room. There is also free wifi (something you can not get at a Hilton). The beds are not the best. We have stayed there 3 times and they have varied from comfortable to awful. The bed spreads have not been changed in a while as most have holes in them but the room is decent size and clean.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank BNotes
GLENDALE
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

After one night in the room, we canceled the rest of our nights and found a friend to stay with for the rest of our planned trip. The main reason for leaving was lack of adequate security on the doors and windows. For 2 women travelers feeling safe in a hotel room is important to us. The hotel staff did not charge us for the additional 2 nights which we canceled, so we were glad about that. I will say the room was quite large, which is great for a family. However, the luggage rack and the clothes rack were extremely rusted, and should be replaced. The wall had various stains which could be removed. Would not recommend this hotel even for the price!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank AZTraveler055
Hagerstown, Maryland, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

made reservations on line using credit card. when we arrived person at front desk asked for cash. did not even give option of using credit card. I told them to use crdit card and they could not get it to work. they were using the old fashion way using paper then running through a machine that kept coming up duplicat transaction. while i was inside my family was sitting in the car and noticed that the ice machine was outside, A person came to get ice and there was none. Another person came to get a soda from soda machine that was sitting next to ice machine and it also did not work. Needless to say i got the heck out of there and went somewhere else. Yhx to my daughter and son in law we got another place to stay. I will never consider this place again or advise anyone to stay at this motel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Steven H
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I have to admit, the first glance I took at this place on Priceline, I skipped to the next motel right away. Something about the really "old fashioned" look of the room just didnt seem appealing to me. Well...running low on daylight and cash and with all the other motel prices out there raising because of Summer, I figured what the hell..and just booked my reservation. When we got there, the location was good and really convenient. The lady at the front desk was really sweet and really enjoyed engaging in small talk..not something I'm used to at these budget motels. The room itself was very clean & spacious. I cant stress to you how important cleanliness is, ESPECIALLY after being bit to death by BED BUGS at motels that I've actually paid MORE for. The bathroom isn't too big, but has been well-kept & is well-stocked. There's also a mini fridge & microwave. No coffee maker, but no biggie. Theres also a pool open til 10pm which is nice for Summer. Not digging the old country western kinda look..it looks like something my Grandma in Oklahoma would like. LoL, but overall, the room is pretty much immaculate and well worth the $49.50 I paid for a single bed (queen) room. They do hold $10 as collateral for the key & remote, but return both and be out by your 11am check out time and you should have no hassle at all. It feels good to be back home in SD after living in LA, and I'm happy to have stumbled upon this motel. I highly recommend it for travelers on a budget such as myself. 2 thumbs up! =)

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank MCfromSD1904
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vista
Motel 6 Vista
#8 of 28 in Oceanside
4.0 of 5 stars 469 reviews
TownePlace San Diego Carlsbad/Vista
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Escondido Downtown in Escondido

Been to Franciscan Inn Motel? Share your experiences!