“New hotel on Melrose”

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego, California
“New hotel on Melrose”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I really like the Hyatt Place hotel, whether on business or personal travel. This hotel just recently opened, if doing business in Carlsbad or Vista the location is excellent. All the rooms are suites with a comfortable sitting area, spacious place to plug in computer and spread your paperwork. Large screen TV with premium channels, free wi-fi and parking. Breakfast included with several options. The lobby area is open and comfortable for meeting with other guests or kicking back with travel companions, Several restaurants within a 10 to 15 minute drive. Good water pressure, thick bath towels. The mattress and bedding comfortable. If coming to San Diego area for LegoLand- it is down the street 10 minutes. For other sightseeing/tourist attractions expect to drive at least 30 minutes to an hour.

Room Tip: The place is quite large, I asked for a room closer to the elevator, but not next to it. Go higher f...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank LGoehle
WesLavender, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear LGoehle,

Thank you for choosing our hotel and for writing such a complete review!

We are very well situated to provide easy access to shopping, dining, and sight seeing! LEGOLAND is indeed a 10 minute drive away, or you can save the $14 parking fee and let us take you in our shuttle. We are 20 minutes from the San Diego Zoo Safari Park and 15 minutes from downtown Carlsbad, the Carlsbad Premium outlets and sparkling north San Diego County beaches.

We hope to see you again soon!

Wes Lavender

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Sacramento, Ca
Reviewed June 7, 2013

On May 15, 2013 we arrived in Carlsbad at 12:15 AM (we told the reservation clerk we would arrive sometime after 12:00AM. The clerk at the desk informed us that the hotel was overbook and spent over 30 minutes talking without registering our party. Finally he found a room (101) which was somewhat smaller than our request located in the back of the hotel. The room was not as comfortable as Texas and it was located near a swimming pool bathroom that obviously had cleanliness issues due to an emanating foul smell. Our second day, we returned to the room at approximately 11:00 PM. We went to the front desk for a snack and purchased two glasses of wine and two cupcakes. We tried to eat the cupcakes and found they were cold and stale so we throw them in the trash. The next day we mentioned the cupcakes and were told they should have been warmed. The clerk at the desk did not offer to replace them nor issue a refund. On May 18, 2013 we checked out and drove the hour to the San Diego airport. Upon arrival we discovered an I-Phone external battery and charger had been inadvertently left in room 101. Immediately, we called the hotel and talked to a male clerk at the front desk. The gentleman took our contact information and said he would get someone to retrieve the battery and charger plus he would call to let us know it had been found. I waited 3 weeks thinking the items would be mailed but finally called back on June 2, 2013. I talked to a lady at the front desk that looked for the items in lost and found but was unable to find them. She apologized for our experience and promised she would contact the employee we talked to and see if he was holding the battery and charger. The last thing out of her mouth was that she would call back on Monday, June 3, 2013. Today is June 6, 2013 and no call to date. Another employee in Carlsbad Hyatt Place failed to keep their word. The service at Carlsbad was poor to say the least.

As I send this account to both Hyatt Place San Diego and Hyatt corporate offices, one question arises “Is our experience in Texas the norm or the substandard conditions in Carlsbad”?
My dilemma is easily resolved, never to stay at a Hyatt Place and convey the fact to friends, family and colleagues via social media that Hyatt Carlsbad should be off limits to any intelligent traveler.

Bill

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank William A
Dear Bill,

I sincerely apologize for the negative experience you endured at our hotel. Our lack of responsiveness to your requests and the issues you experienced are completely unsatisfactory and I hope our attempts to rectify this situation hence have met your needs, and reassured you regarding the level of service that our hospitality promise encompasses.

I enjoyed speaking with you, and hope that you will have the opportunity to return and visit your daughter in PB. Please let me know when you are coming down next and I will personally see to your accommodations. Congratulations again on your daughter's graduation we wish you and she the best.

El Mirage, Arizona
Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I are very picky. We were impressed with the hotel when we arrived. It looks just like its pictures. Yhe service was very professional and friendly. The breakfast was great. We noticed even the manager was helping ut with cleaning and providing food when it got busy. That was impressive. The room was very clean. You know how the blankets give you the impression they are not that clean? Well these blankets you knew were very clean. The overall experience was worth the money. I HIGHLY reccommend this hotel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear TamiL3232,

I'm so glad to hear that we met your needs during your trip from Arizona this month!

Our hotel team pride themselves on exceeding the expectations of each guest with our responsive and proactive approach to providing guest service.

Thank you for your recommendation, and we hope to see you again soon!

Pasadena, California
Reviewed June 5, 2013

My wife and I decided to go to Safari Park one weekend and we were looking for a decent hotel after wards to stay the night. I checked most of the online hotel booking sites, like hotels, Expedia. etc and came across this stay. I went on the hotels website to further check it out and I ended up booking!!!! The other hotels in the area either charge you for wi fi or parking, or do not have breakfast included. and their rates were a lot then Hyatts.

This place was clean, Kevin the host was awesome!!!!Thanks Kevin......the rooms were very nice a spacey, very echo friendly, weight room, heated pool, hot breakfast, free wi fi and free parking, great professional staff and close to everything. Yeah one night was little, but worth it great stay, Would go back

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
WesLavender, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Hrach S,

Thank you for staying with us during your family trip to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park! We are less than 20 minutes away from the park located in Escondido.

You are correct, we do not charge for breakfast, Wi-Fi, parking, or our fabulous customer service provided by our Hosts!

I hope to see you again when you decide to visit from Pasadena again!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Wish all my hotel rooms were of this caliber and value. Great rate, too bad we were only there one night. The only advice I can give someone to improve their stay is to be prepared for the local businesses to close early. They seem to roll up the sidewalks at 930 pm. We got lucky and hit Flippin Pizza, a short walk across the street. After nine the slices are a buck and the beer was cold.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank A P
Dear A P,

Thanks for picking our hotel to accommodate you and your friends during your trip from Vegas! I'm delighted to hear that you felt we offer a great value.

If you choose not to eat in our Bakery Café, we are located very close to multiple restaurants within walking distance.

I wish you the best, and hope to see you again when you can stay longer.

CA
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Our family stayed here for vacation to Legoland and the Animal Park. Very convenient location to both. Loved the complimentary shuttle from hotel to Legoland! Hotel is very clean, friendly staff and heated pool. Breakfast was good and hot items changed daily. My only complaint was the room service food. It lacked flavor and they don't deliver to your room - you have to go downstairs and get it. Of course that meant the food wasn't that warm by the time we picked it up. Other than that we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear erzsikeCa,

I'm delighted that you selected our hotel for your family vacation to northern San Diego County! Thank you for your positive comments regarding our facilities, the shuttle to LEGOLAND and our a.m. Kitchen Skillet breakfast.

I am concerned that our food options didn't meet your needs. While we don't offer room service, there should be no reason that your food was not at the proper temperature. I have discussed with our team how we can avoid future occurrences of this shortfall.

Thank you for your comments, we take them seriously and they help us improve.

Travel Safe!

Sahuarita
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I recently had a business trip in the area and since I am a member of the Hyatt rewards program I decided to stay at the nearest Hyatt. While the room I stayed in was very nice, Large well appointed, 42" LCD tv, the dining options are terrible. If you look at the pictures on the menu you get the impression that there is some high quality food being made here. Unfortunately you would be mistaken. All of the food that is served is straight out of the freezer. All that happens is one of the front desk people go into a side room and put your food into a convection oven of some type, then dress it up with some fresh toppings. Don't even think about that beautiful looking cheeseburger on the menu, it is nothing but a dried up hockey puck with some lettuce on it. When my burger came out it was missing all of its condiments. When I asked for some ketchup or mustard I was told to help myself to some of the packets in their grab and go section where they keep the pre-made salads and sandwiches. I could of gotten a better cheeseburger at a local 7-11 for 1/3 of the price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RoamingSEAsia
WesLavender, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear RoamingSEAsia,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent business trip. I am delighted with your comments regarding our rooms and HDTV's.

I sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced whilst dining in our 24 hour Bakery Café. We strive to deliver a convenient and enjoyable experiences in our food and beverage outlets, and it is concerning that we did not meet your needs. While we don't add condiments to the six ounce charburger you ordered, we should not have asked you to procure your own in our grab and go case. I have discussed your experience with our guest services team and we will endeavor to improve our operations.

It is my hope that you give us another opportunity to serve you. When you are next traveling to our area, please reach out to me and I will personally see to your accommodations.

Wes Lavender
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vista
HYATT house San Diego/Carlsbad
TownePlace Suites San Diego Carlsbad/Vista
Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach
Homewood Suites by Hilton Carlsbad-North San Diego County
Fairfield Inn & Suites San Diego Carlsbad
Holiday Inn Carlsbad
Holiday Inn Carlsbad
#22 of 36 in Carlsbad

Been to Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad? Share your experiences!