“Very good choice”

Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Vista
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for business. The first room I got was a bit noisy but the staff was very solicitous in moving me to a quieter room. Clean big rooms, good breakfast.

Hard to go wrong here, either for business or nearby legoland

• Stayed: April 2013
WesLavender, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Dear swb_muir_beach,

I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us during your recent business trip to our area. As a frequent traveler you understand the value of a quiet and tranquil room, and I'm excited to hear that our team met your needs.

I wish you safe travels and look forward to your next trip to our area.

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stayed at the Hyatt for a week on business and found the stay to be pleasant. There is a small buffet style breakfast that on a busy day they do have trouble keeping up with demand. But all in all it is a nice brand new hotel that has the Hyatt brand attached to it so you expect a high quality standard level.

For the business traveler it is perfect and close to many business in the vista area and for families its only a short drive to the Carlsbad premium outlets and Lego Land.

Certainly recommend this hotel for short stays

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Flyteoficarus,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent business trip to our area. I'm delighted that you selected our hotel, and am excited to hear that we met your expectations.

We appreciate your positive comments regarding our location and suite of amenities. Our breakfast is very popular due to the wide variety of items and the selection of high quality products, but we endeavor to meet this demand with our smiling hospitable team members.

We look forward to your return!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I got a great deal on this hotel and chose it despite the reviews that stated it was in the middle of nowhere. I lived in Oceanside for five years so I was familiar with the area and knew what I was getting in to. It's a newer facility, several miles inland and bordered by commercial, residential, and undeveloped area.

Access is difficult. Coming from the west, you have to do a u-turn in order to access the hotel. This isn't obvious and there is only one entrance from Melrose. There's an entrance on Faraday but it's right turn only.

The building is new and nice. Room layout is a little strange and the key in the slot to power the room is also a little strange, but workable. A clean room with a fridge. NO BATHTUB so be prepared. Outdoor pool that was cool on the first day but nicely heated the next.

Breakfast was good with plenty of choices. Breakfast staff was great and always on the move. Really impressed with these folks; always had a good attitude no matter what some of the guests did or said.

Shuttle to and from LegoLand was convenient. Saved $15 on parking and a little on gas. Shuttle drivers were nice.

Staff was great. Everyone was nice and helpful. They made the stay even better when there was little to complain about to start. I'd give 4 stars on the hotel but the staff bumps it up to 4.5, so I round to 5. Thank you!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
WesLavender, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear dougneb,

Thanks for picking our hotel to be your home during your recent trip from Washington! Our hotel opened in July of 2012 and we still have that "new car smell"!

Our hotel can be tricky to arrive the first time due to strictures of entry for safety required by the city, thanks for your persistence!

I hope our team were able to explain the energy management system during your arrival. These systems are becoming more popular as hotels become more sustainable. By the way, we do have bathtub/shower combinations in our double queen rooms, so those families traveling with small children can do the nightly bath.

Thank you so much for the positive comments regarding your interactions with our breakfast and shuttle team. As you remark, these team members are under significant strain during busy times, and to be recognized is huge. I have already passed along your praise.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Really nice, new hotel near Legoland. Large rooms with living room area and mini-fridge. Incredible menu with the best tomato bisque soup I've ever had! Will definitely go back in our next trip to Legoland.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Mgasperini,

Thank you for allowing our team to meet your needs during your spring break trip to LEGOLAND!

Our tomato bisque is awesome, but next time you come you have to try the chicken tortilla soup or perhaps the mushroom and brie bisque!

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I cannot express how upset and uncomfortable I am with this hotel. This was NOT my first time staying at a Hyatt Place Hotel which is why this event was very displeasing. So before I get into the negative, let me be fair and show them the courteous they did NOT show us.

The hotel is very nice and the grounds are very well kept. The Hotel is modern and very stylish. The room decor and amenities were excellent and very chic. The pool is a bit small but was clean and had plenty of seating and towels available. They have a 24/7 cafe and a free buffet breakfast available. They also have a nice gym and business center. The hotel is nestled in a quiet part of town and is also close to Legoland.

With all of that being said let me advise you that they have the WORST customer service that unfortunately out shined their beautiful hotel. I booked my 3 day stay (4/3/13 -4/6/13) through Expedia.com. Upon my arrival I was greeted by Kevin at the front desk. He confirmed my stay and gave me our room key. To my surprise he sent us to a room with ONE King bed, I booked for two queen beds and had the confirmation to prove that. I called down to the front desk to bring the mistake to their attention and was basically told by Kevin, that they see that my reservation is for a double queen room but they do NOT guarantee room types and are totally booked for my entire stay and cannot accommodate our request but we have the right to stay elsewhere if we liked. WHAT!!!!
I called expedia.com and they tried to work with Hyatt Place to be accommodated for what we paid for and was advised by Kevin that they cannot but their is a sofa bed in the room that we could use. Kevin never advised me that there was a bed in the sofa. The sofa bed was equivalent to that of a thin cot and it is a sofa bed I paid for a real bed! Expedia did try to get us a room elsewhere but they available rooms were too far from our events.
After I hung up I noticed a cleaning cart down the hall from our room. What do you know, it was a double queen room. I asked the cleaning staff if this was a check out or check in clean. The employee advised it was a check out. I went to ask the front desk about the available room and Kevin did not assist me he was having small talk with someone else and I guess he had done all he could for me today. Another young man did try to help me and Kevin intervened and advised the room in question "has clearly been checked into". I later found out from the actual guest of that room that they DID check in after us. I saw this happen again on Thursday.

When I checked out the young lady at the front desk advised that they do not have control over third party reservations and to book through the hotel next time. Why would a hotel knowingly take a reservation, third party or not, if they have no intention of accommodating? You are running a business not a lottery. Guest should NOT have to cross their fingers and hope they get what they paid for. It was a nuisance lugging that fold up cot in and out. I tried to get over it and enjoy our vacation.

Very uncomfortable stay. We felt unwanted and lie to. This hotel takes care of direct reservations and give whatever is left to consumers that use travel sites be it what they asked for or not!

Room Tip: This hotel takes care of direct reservations and give whatever is left to consumers that use travel...
1  Thank Dulcekisses

Dear Dulcekisses,

I am devastated to learn your experience with us did not meet your needs. I understand how frustrating this situation was for you and your family, and I hope that our attempts to accommodate you since your departure have met your needs.

I can assure you that while we encourage our guests to book directly with Hyatt.com in order to take advantage of the Hyatt Gold Passport loyalty program and purchase rooms at the best guaranteed rate, we do not treat any of our guests any differently based on how they booked their reservations. I do sincerely apologize that you were impacted by our error.

I appreciate your courtesy in pointing out the positive attributes of our hotel, and we hope to be of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We had originally booked with a different hotel, as we are traveling with a soccer team for a tournament in San Diego. The "other" hotel canceled our reservation on us without our consent, as they had overbooked for the weekend.

Hyatt Place to the rescue! We were fortunate to book what I think was one of their last available rooms for the weekend. What a wonderful place!

Their staff is extremely kind, courteous and helpful. The rooms are very nice and generously sized. The modern interior decorating is unique, crisp, immaculate and inviting. Unique, also, is their eatery, as it combines the standard expectation of tables and chairs for a longer meal with a counter and stool service for a quicker snack! The breakfast food is delicious, plentiful, and complimentary... another wonderful combination.

The pool area and work out room are also quite nice!

Great stay!

Room Tip: Book here first!
1  Thank Janice H

Dear Janice H,

I am delighted to hear that we "rescued" your family! I hope your team performed well on the tournament, as travelling all the way from Connecticut is quite a commitment!

Thank you for your positive comments regarding our hotel and the interactions with our team. By the way, our Bakery Café serves full menu food 24 hours a day.

I hope your trip home went well, and trust we will see you back again soon! San Diego hosts some of the premier tournaments in the US for soccer!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed here for spring break with the kids. We all loved it!! I did my research (read a LOT of reviews here) before we booked this hotel and to be honest, there is some truth to a lot of the comments made by previous reviewers, but.... It is far from San Diego - all attractions and you need a car,. ..Yes it is and you do! If you want to be in town, close to all the major attractions, then this is not the hotel for you. We love peace and quiet after a day sightseeing so it was perfect for us. The commute and we did it: just before, during and after rush hour, was not bad at all - for California. We drove into town every day except one (the day we went to Legoland. It is close to Legoland (not walking distance though). The staff that we encountered were attentive and always went out of their way to help . The room was spacious, there were five of us and with a double queen and a sofa sleeper it was more than adequate. It is true that you have to place the keycard in a pocket on the wall for electricity, but once this was explained to us, it was no big deal. The bathroom light is tricky but my kids figured it out very quickly and that turned out not to be a big deal either. Breakfast was to die for!!! The egg muffin/croissant combo was a hit with my kids, my husband loved the bagels and coffee and the fruits were my favorite. It was quite a spread. Yes, it could get very busy and crowded in the breakfast area, but we were down before eight every morning and had no problems. It is a very family friendly hotel but we had no problem with the noise level. If you have a car, there are shops, restaurants and take out places within a five mile radius. There is an outlet mall also!! The only reason that I am not giving this hotel five stars is because the hot tub heater broke down while we were there and it was not repaired before we left. But, I would still recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Corner suites are great, if they are available.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank aqwn2be

Dear aqwn2be,

Thank you for selecting our hotel to meet your spring break needs this year! I'm delighted to read your thorough and positive remarks about our hotel. We are centrally located to the northern San Diego County attractions that include the beach, LEGOLAND, the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, the Carlsbad Outlet Mall, and the Wave Waterpark.

Our two queen rooms are huge and sport the additional bedding of the queen sofa sleeper so can sleep up to six. The energy management system helps us be as sustainable as we can, and I appreciate your comments regarding its use.

Our breakfast is very extensive and it does get busy during peak times, but we endeavor to meet the flow of our guests at all times.

You'll be glad to know we repaired the spa the day you departed, and it will be up and running for your next trip to see us!

Travel safe!

Wes Lavender

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vista
HYATT house San Diego/Carlsbad
#22 of 36 in Carlsbad
Carlsbad by the Sea Resort
Carlsbad by the Sea Resort
#29 of 36 in Carlsbad

Been to Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad? Share your experiences!